Used 2008 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

162,000 and loving it!!!
By Laura

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! It is the most reliable and inexpensive car I've owned. I plan on keeping this car for many more years. I love when I have to park it because it's small enough to fit in those tight spots. The backup camera is a plus and it's pretty good in the snow as long as you have good tires. I know eventually I'll have to replace the battery but I intend to keep it since the body of the car is in such great shape. I would highly recommend owning a Prius.

All-round Excellent car
By charles hall

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Aside from some shabby fabric on the center console, this has been a superb car. I've had maybe one repair done, and it was some routine thing they spotted at the 100k check-up. I get 48.5 mpg year round. It's quiet, and accelerates strongly at freeway speeds, like 45-75. Lots and lots of cargo space and catch-all storage areas. Only drawback? In 2008 they didn't have USB or iPod interfaces to the radio. There's also a design flaw with the traction control (which cannot be disabled) where when you stop at a stop sign and the pavement is the least but slick with water, ice or gravel the car may move haltingly when you press the gas. This is very bad, but you learn not to try and dart into traffic except in dry weather. Otherwise the performance and handling is fine.

Still great 1.5 years later!
By hondoman45

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wrote a while back about my experience with my Prius. It is still a very reliable car that has not let me down. I replaced the 12 v battery myself as the original one was getting tired and wouldn't hold a charge any longer. Still get around 42 mpg in the cold and 46+ in warmer weather. This is great considering the car is driven an average speed of 72+ mph on the highway where it spends most of its time. The nav system isn't worth getting as it is woefully outdated and I'm not willing to pay a couple hundred for an update at the dealer. Car rides well and is fairly quiet, but still dislike the leather seats as church pews are more comfortable. Very happy with my purchase!

Good ride, few rattles, extreme reliabilty, bluetooth works well, and of course the mpg!

Seat comfort!

More than meets the eye!
By pclocksmith

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You wouldn't believe me if I told you but I'm going to anyway...I was able to fit a full size refrigerator in my Prius. That's right. There is so much more space inside than what it appears to have from outside. I am a locksmith in Panama City, fl. And I use my Prius as a service vehicle. Having more than enough space in the back (without folding seats) to accommodate all of the tools and equipment required to do my job, and the way I have it configured, I can store supples, locks, etc. in a cabinet beneath my machines. This car is amazing! It has more than paid for itself with the extensive city driving I do and with a lumbar pillow, is plenty comfortable for driving the 8+ hrs a day!

The sound system is excellent, gas mileage phenomenal, it's incredibly styled and there's plenty of room inside.

The seats could use a chiropractors touch...that's about it.

Worthwhile purchase!
By hondoman45

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've waited a year to write this so as to have some experience with the car. Was very hesitant to buy due to fear of the unknown with the high voltage battery. Can say now that this is not a concern as these fail rarely and with many miles and usually with at least a decade of time. My dealership might replace 5-6 a year on the first generation (2001-2003), but 1-2 on this generation. Not as expensive to replace as I thought, either, as I received quotes of $2500 parts and labor. Realistically, that would be at least 12-15 years down the road. I get about 44 mpg in the winter and 46-49 mpg in warm weather. No repairs have been needed; easy to work on.

Gas mileage. Excellent quality. Great crash test ratings. The JBL stereo rocks. Lots of room. Hid lights are superior and are original units (some owners have issues; I have been lucky). Easy to work on as I change my own oil and cvt fluid. The dealer (Mark Miller Toyota) has done all recalls and goes the extra mile to make sure the car is running well. To date I have spent nothing on repairs, just a few bucks for cvt fluid and oil and filter. Also replaced the cabin and air filters. Go to Rockauto.com for better prices than Autozone and the dealership. Truly cheap to own and very reliable. Wish I would have bought one years ago. Will buy 2010 for the wife soon.

As many owners have said, the seats are not comfortable beyond a half hour or so. Not too bad for a short commute of 20 miles or so, but after an hour my back is sore. Body panels are easily dinged but the car is built light for better gas mileage. Hard to get much gas in the winter but don't exactly know why. I think the bladder in the tank shrinks with the cold. 5-6 gallons max fill in winter; 8-9 gallons max fill in summer. All these issues fixed in 2010. All in all just a wonderful car that saves me money daily.

• SUV