Used 2008 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Still great 1.5 years later!
By hondoman45

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wrote a while back about my experience with my Prius. It is still a very reliable car that has not let me down. I replaced the 12 v battery myself as the original one was getting tired and wouldn't hold a charge any longer. Still get around 42 mpg in the cold and 46+ in warmer weather. This is great considering the car is driven an average speed of 72+ mph on the highway where it spends most of its time. The nav system isn't worth getting as it is woefully outdated and I'm not willing to pay a couple hundred for an update at the dealer. Car rides well and is fairly quiet, but still dislike the leather seats as church pews are more comfortable. Very happy with my purchase!

Favorite Features

Good ride, few rattles, extreme reliabilty, bluetooth works well, and of course the mpg!

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort!

More than meets the eye!
By pclocksmith

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You wouldn't believe me if I told you but I'm going to anyway...I was able to fit a full size refrigerator in my Prius. That's right. There is so much more space inside than what it appears to have from outside. I am a locksmith in Panama City, fl. And I use my Prius as a service vehicle. Having more than enough space in the back (without folding seats) to accommodate all of the tools and equipment required to do my job, and the way I have it configured, I can store supples, locks, etc. in a cabinet beneath my machines. This car is amazing! It has more than paid for itself with the extensive city driving I do and with a lumbar pillow, is plenty comfortable for driving the 8+ hrs a day!

Favorite Features

The sound system is excellent, gas mileage phenomenal, it's incredibly styled and there's plenty of room inside.

Suggested Improvements

The seats could use a chiropractors touch...that's about it.

Worthwhile purchase!
By hondoman45

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've waited a year to write this so as to have some experience with the car. Was very hesitant to buy due to fear of the unknown with the high voltage battery. Can say now that this is not a concern as these fail rarely and with many miles and usually with at least a decade of time. My dealership might replace 5-6 a year on the first generation (2001-2003), but 1-2 on this generation. Not as expensive to replace as I thought, either, as I received quotes of $2500 parts and labor. Realistically, that would be at least 12-15 years down the road. I get about 44 mpg in the winter and 46-49 mpg in warm weather. No repairs have been needed; easy to work on.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Excellent quality. Great crash test ratings. The JBL stereo rocks. Lots of room. Hid lights are superior and are original units (some owners have issues; I have been lucky). Easy to work on as I change my own oil and cvt fluid. The dealer (Mark Miller Toyota) has done all recalls and goes the extra mile to make sure the car is running well. To date I have spent nothing on repairs, just a few bucks for cvt fluid and oil and filter. Also replaced the cabin and air filters. Go to Rockauto.com for better prices than Autozone and the dealership. Truly cheap to own and very reliable. Wish I would have bought one years ago. Will buy 2010 for the wife soon.

Suggested Improvements

As many owners have said, the seats are not comfortable beyond a half hour or so. Not too bad for a short commute of 20 miles or so, but after an hour my back is sore. Body panels are easily dinged but the car is built light for better gas mileage. Hard to get much gas in the winter but don't exactly know why. I think the bladder in the tank shrinks with the cold. 5-6 gallons max fill in winter; 8-9 gallons max fill in summer. All these issues fixed in 2010. All in all just a wonderful car that saves me money daily.

avoid prius!!!
By poorvic2

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Unless you are Bill Gates with very deep pockets i strongly advise avoiding a Prius. They are overpriced, do not get the gas mileage claimed and, worse of all, have the same build quality as a Yugo! I dont know where all the positive comments are from by my experience with a 2008 prius has been nothing short of a disaster. Ignition battery went out in less than 2 mnoths. Cost 200. to replace. Water pump failed and warning light did not come on. Computer had failed and repair of 1000.00 added to my cost of running this junk. Mileage? less than 60.000 miles!! Come on a Ford Pinto would have run longer than that. Well, i learned by lesson no more overpriced Toyotas!

147,000 miles so far, zero problem
By jimmybirdie

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am an extreme commuter and I would not have been able to do this without my beloved Prius. After 4 years I have about 147,000 miles on the car and have had zero problem so far. I average about 47 - 54 mpg depending on how fast I drive. If I drive 75 mph I will get about 45-47 mpg. If I drive 65 mph I would get around 52 mpg. I still have the original brakes and my mechanic told me that it still has 75% of life left. This is due to regenerating braking and my most highway driving. The OEM tires lasted 60k miles. I replaced them with the Michelin HydroEdge tires and after 87k they are still good for another 20k miles according to my mechanic.

Favorite Features

50+ mpg back-up camera utility of hatch back design engine off at intersections/drive thrus smart key

Suggested Improvements

Better comfort with driver and passenger seats.