2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Worthwhile purchase!
By hondoman45 on 09/02/13 23:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've waited a year to write this so as to have some experience with the car. Was very hesitant to buy due to fear of the unknown with the high voltage battery. Can say now that this is not a concern as these fail rarely and with many miles and usually with at least a decade of time. My dealership might replace 5-6 a year on the first generation (2001-2003), but 1-2 on this generation. Not as expensive to replace as I thought, either, as I received quotes of $2500 parts and labor. Realistically, that would be at least 12-15 years down the road. I get about 44 mpg in the winter and 46-49 mpg in warm weather. No repairs have been needed; easy to work on.

avoid prius!!!
By poorvic2 on 06/27/12 12:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Unless you are Bill Gates with very deep pockets i strongly advise avoiding a Prius. They are overpriced, do not get the gas mileage claimed and, worse of all, have the same build quality as a Yugo! I dont know where all the positive comments are from by my experience with a 2008 prius has been nothing short of a disaster. Ignition battery went out in less than 2 mnoths. Cost 200. to replace. Water pump failed and warning light did not come on. Computer had failed and repair of 1000.00 added to my cost of running this junk. Mileage? less than 60.000 miles!! Come on a Ford Pinto would have run longer than that. Well, i learned by lesson – no more overpriced Toyotas!

147,000 miles so far, zero problem
By jimmybirdie on 01/12/12 10:42 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am an extreme commuter and I would not have been able to do this without my beloved Prius. After 4 years I have about 147,000 miles on the car and have had zero problem so far. I average about 47 - 54 mpg depending on how fast I drive. If I drive 75 mph I will get about 45-47 mpg. If I drive 65 mph I would get around 52 mpg. I still have the original brakes and my mechanic told me that it still has 75% of life left. This is due to regenerating braking and my most highway driving. The OEM tires lasted 60k miles. I replaced them with the Michelin HydroEdge tires and after 87k they are still good for another 20k miles according to my mechanic.

good overall
By Jim on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

the winter drop is beyond expected 5-7 mpg,comfort for 6'2" but agree lumbar support needed, nav is a waste in this day of cell phone nav,don't buy, got 63k on oe tires,some alignment issues, would like to see lineup expanded, apparently in works,have never achieved over 49.5 on highway 70 mph, no some getting 55 mpg at 55 mph

White Elephant
By Sanjeev Gupta on 03/28/10 17:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good vehicle. Comfortable driving but defeats the purpose of buying it. Mileage 49 for the first year, 46 for the second year, 44 in this third year. Recommended Tires very expensive ($108 against $60 for regular one), headlight HID bulbs burn out fast- Ultra expensive ($771.43 +Tax). Car can only be serviced at dealership and they charge a lot more than a regular service at Walmart. I do not see any savings.

2 Years & Going Strong - Prius Love!
By bluegrass in Hogtown on 03/27/10 11:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well,hey, it's now been 2 full years of ownership, and mighty good ones, at that. It's still toting my Kay upright bass, guitars, banjos, etc., and has even survived a pole smack, although not without my spending some time in a rental while body work was done (beautifully) and an EXPENSIVE little thermos-tank-container-thingy right behind the front bumper was installed TWICE (first replacement was defective, second one is on order). So - don't HIT anything (you would think plastic was cheap - nope!). Anyway, gas mileage & hauling capacity can't be beat. Pain at the pump? Nope! Smile on my face? Yep-you betcha!

Best Car Ever Owned
By WP on 02/27/10 19:47 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my '08 Prius, Package II, in March '08. Lifetime average has been 47MPG with over 18k miles/year and mostly highway mileage. It does tend to do 2-5 mpg less in winter. Have owned cars for over 21 years now and this stands out as best car ever for getting from A to B as well as errands. Amazing and misleading amount of storage space.

Best Car Ever Owned in 21 Years of owner
By wp on 02/20/10 13:05 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very first foreign car ever purchased and absolutely best car ever owned. Excellent cost of ownership, great commuter and unbelievable and very deceiving amount of cargo space - especially with seats down. Hauled over 400 lbs of dog food to kennel couple mths ago! 4 Stars on comfort because could really use an adjustable lumbar support; other than that perfect. Also, fun to drive in a techy kind of way. Lifetime avg mpg is 47.5mpg. currently 36k miles mostly highway.

Bought a used touring model
By Mike on 02/17/10 21:03 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Averaging 45mpg. Performance is great for an engine this size and efficient. Paid $16,500 with nav, jbl, touring edition an 36500 miles. The incline of the front of the car causes a lot of bug paint damage to the hood and above windshield. A lot of sunlight inside the car due to the angles of the glass and there is no tint strip at the top of the windshield. Very pleased with gas mileage since my 06 m35 only averaged 19mpg. The car handles better than my $45k infiniti and handles rough roads much better. Seats are more comfortable too. At least the plastic interior looks good for plastic. I love the car and look forward to driving it and with each mile i drive i'm saving for my son's college

Great Vehicle...Even in Wisconsin!
By Wisconsin08Prius on 12/20/09 19:36 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have only owned our Prius for a short time and I can only say good things about it so far. It handles great in all weather conditions. We live in Wisconsin and experience snow every few days, which has been no problem. Fuel economy is great although slightly lower, but not significantly, in the winter weather. It is a very fun car to drive. I am 6'5" 240 pounds and fit comfortably driving and sitting in the passengers seat. Very roomy. I have not experienced any of the phantom shut offs or anything along those lines. The glare on the screen that people talk about has been a non-issue. The lights being dim on the dash is solved by adjusting the dimmer switch until they are super bright.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.