2007 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Time to Put it Down

2007 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Time to Put it Down
By jtn16 on

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this car used in 2011. I was averaging a commute of 400-500 miles per week as a college adjunct. The first year of owning this Prius was fun, mainly because of the novelty of going hybrid. Then I got established and didn't need to commute to 4 campuses a day. Got married. Got a dog. I took the car out to camp several times. It couldn't hold up well to our busy and slightly chaotic lifestyle. The hatch rubber handle melted my first summer with it and shortly after the whole back hatch broke due to its brittle plastic. Had issues with the power button throughout. I put only 50K on it. It might be time to let it go.

Back camera, novelty of owning the best MPG car out there, fold-down seats, cargo compartments.

Better hatch construction (I used it a lot with my dog being back there), interior needs higher quality fabric/materials, plastic will become brittle.
By wsanter
on 05/01/15 14:23 PM (PDT)

The rubber on the hatch melting is a very common problem. I got one on Amazon and replaced it myself. The power button issue is not very well explained so it is difficult to comment. Seems like very minor issues to be ditching a car for.