Used 2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 206 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Love the Prius But...
By pbonem

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the car for all the reasons everyone else loves the car. Always considered it one of my best purchases of any product ever. Never had a complaint until today and, now, I'm think of selling the car. I park in a smallish garage with the hood of the car under a storage shelf; I can't open the hood without backing the car a few feet. And, two nights ago, I left the driver's door ajar, draining the 12 volt battery. That's the 12 volt battery in the far left rear of the car, accessible ONLY via the rear hatchback door that DOES NOT OPEN WITHOUT ELECTRICTY. The solution recommended in the owners manual is to crawl into the back and start disassembling the car from the inside.

first impression
By scott h.

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned the car for a month and will review again but for now I love it. At current gas prices ($2.60) I save $1,300 and was surprised to find it is $250 cheaper to insure than a 2003 forester worth a 1/3 the price of an 07 prius. As far as I am concerned it will save me $1500 plus a year x 5 years = $7500 of the $16,000 I paid. I do not consider myself a tree hugger type. If it were an uncomfortable econobox I would not have bought it. That said I do feel good about cutting my gasoline consumption in half.

The computer that trains me in the art of driving like a grandma, mpg's, bluetooth phone, ipod attachment to stereo and steering wheel controls and side curtain airbags. The leather seats are great as well.

Rear visibility is poor and the paint chips easily.

most displeased
By dlo

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Highly dangerous car in snow and ice and rain. If there is the slightest skid the car brakes lock and you cant steer it so you just hope there is no oncoming traffic till it comes to a stop. CAr has done 360 and gone into soft shoulders in minimal snow conditions. Now it accelerates whenever i go over the smallest hole or skid. I believe it should be incl in recall as sudden acceleration is more frequent. I am most displeased with the vehicle. At dealership was told if is excellent car for good weather conditions and that I should have a backup vehicle for NY winters. It never got the sticker mileage and only gets 42mpg. It takes inordinate time for the heater to turn on.

There is no favorite feature.

Eliminate Traction control which is a dangerous gimmick which causes complete lack of control under dangerous conditions!

Found flaws after I bought it
By Allan Birmantas

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good gas mileage, but the rest is nothing special. Lots of electronic doo dads, but lacks substance. I guess the MPG is a pretty important issue these days. Headlights very weak on high beam. Ride good and stable, but seats are pretty uncomfortable and driver seat needs more leg room. I'm 6 ft tall.

Gas mileage, fit and finish.

Lumbar supports, distance to empty on trip computer. Coolant temperature gauge. Better tires. Radio, mediocre at best. Small letters on dash too small to read for many people. Need engineering degree to operate electronics.

Great commuter car
By Maine driver

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my Prius new during the warm weather in Maine. Gas mileage is great in temps above 50 degrees, especially on the winding hilly back roads of Maine (50 mpg). During short trips in winter it drops to 30 mpg. Original tires are quiet and help gas mileage but lasted 21K. I chose to go with a different but harder tire-which should last longer but has SIGNIFICANTLY decreased gas mileage to 30-45 mpg. Highway driving averages 42-43 mpg but this auto is very light weight and stability is compromised when driving in windy conditions or when speed reaches above 80mph. The cost to maintain this auto is above average.

Keyless system, rear camera, gas mileage for temps 50-70 degrees, placement of cup holders, controls, cargo space, roomy rear seat, nice sound system.

Pillars cause blind spots-rear camera is necessary, original tires too soft-wear out early, low clearance-bumpers easily damaged, mileage is not great on short trips especially in cold climates.