Used 2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

first impression
By scott h.

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned the car for a month and will review again but for now I love it. At current gas prices ($2.60) I save $1,300 and was surprised to find it is $250 cheaper to insure than a 2003 forester worth a 1/3 the price of an 07 prius. As far as I am concerned it will save me $1500 plus a year x 5 years = $7500 of the $16,000 I paid. I do not consider myself a tree hugger type. If it were an uncomfortable econobox I would not have bought it. That said I do feel good about cutting my gasoline consumption in half.

The computer that trains me in the art of driving like a grandma, mpg's, bluetooth phone, ipod attachment to stereo and steering wheel controls and side curtain airbags. The leather seats are great as well.

Rear visibility is poor and the paint chips easily.

most displeased
By dlo

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Highly dangerous car in snow and ice and rain. If there is the slightest skid the car brakes lock and you cant steer it so you just hope there is no oncoming traffic till it comes to a stop. CAr has done 360 and gone into soft shoulders in minimal snow conditions. Now it accelerates whenever i go over the smallest hole or skid. I believe it should be incl in recall as sudden acceleration is more frequent. I am most displeased with the vehicle. At dealership was told if is excellent car for good weather conditions and that I should have a backup vehicle for NY winters. It never got the sticker mileage and only gets 42mpg. It takes inordinate time for the heater to turn on.

There is no favorite feature.

Eliminate Traction control which is a dangerous gimmick which causes complete lack of control under dangerous conditions!

Found flaws after I bought it
By Allan Birmantas

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good gas mileage, but the rest is nothing special. Lots of electronic doo dads, but lacks substance. I guess the MPG is a pretty important issue these days. Headlights very weak on high beam. Ride good and stable, but seats are pretty uncomfortable and driver seat needs more leg room. I'm 6 ft tall.

Gas mileage, fit and finish.

Lumbar supports, distance to empty on trip computer. Coolant temperature gauge. Better tires. Radio, mediocre at best. Small letters on dash too small to read for many people. Need engineering degree to operate electronics.

Great commuter car
By Maine driver

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my Prius new during the warm weather in Maine. Gas mileage is great in temps above 50 degrees, especially on the winding hilly back roads of Maine (50 mpg). During short trips in winter it drops to 30 mpg. Original tires are quiet and help gas mileage but lasted 21K. I chose to go with a different but harder tire-which should last longer but has SIGNIFICANTLY decreased gas mileage to 30-45 mpg. Highway driving averages 42-43 mpg but this auto is very light weight and stability is compromised when driving in windy conditions or when speed reaches above 80mph. The cost to maintain this auto is above average.

Keyless system, rear camera, gas mileage for temps 50-70 degrees, placement of cup holders, controls, cargo space, roomy rear seat, nice sound system.

Pillars cause blind spots-rear camera is necessary, original tires too soft-wear out early, low clearance-bumpers easily damaged, mileage is not great on short trips especially in cold climates.

Headlight Defect!
By HighMileDriver

I bought my Prius new and I love the car, but there are a couple major complaints. At around 30,000 miles the headlights will start to go out. It will start with only the driver side that you can turn back on by flicking them off and on again. The problem gets worse as time goes on. My car now has 110,000 mi on it and I can't drive down the street without flicking them. There is not a recall on this problem and there are no plans for one. The problem is due to the HID lights overheating the ECUs. They are 600$ a piece and it will burn out again in another 30,000 miles. I would suggest asking if this defect has been fixed before purchasing ANY year prius. Despite this common prob. I love it.

MPG!!!!, Power button, lots of cargo space, cruise control, touch screen, hatch back

Fix the headlight issue permanently. Slim down A-pillars they make a LARGE blind spot. Remove the Traction control it is more likely to cause an accident the prevent one! Power seats. Lumbar support. Drivers seat more short person friendly I am 5'4". Tire replacement too expensive, only 2 cars use.

• SUV