2007 Toyota Prius Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
It's Beautiful When You Get to Know It
By oolalaa on 10/31/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Maybe the big draw is the gas mileage, but once you get to know this car, it becomes a thing of beauty. Once you begin to understand that the lines were developed for efficiency, rather than trend, the smoothness of the hybrid drivetrain, the excellent handling (mine is the touring model) and the good feeling that you are making each drop of gas go as far as it can, you grow to see the beauty come through. Now, when I look at it, I see an utterly gorgeous machine. One that is more advanced than any BMW, Porsche or Mercedes. It's also very very useful. It can carry four passengers in comfort, carry 10 bags of cement without a problem and fit in 8' lumber.

Best Car I've ever owned
By Bill on 10/05/08 17:06 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I live in the mountains, but I still have a lifetime MPG of 50.7. Climate control is fantastic, stabilization control, tire pressure monitoring and 6 air bags, makes this car very safe. Hybrid-electric doesn't mean gutless. While you will sacrifice MPG for the moment, you can accelerate up a steep grade to 80 MPH + and keep up with anyone. No keys to mess with is great, just approach the car and cabin light up and the door opens, get in and go. This is truly a car ahead of its time. I've had -0- repairs or warranty work in nearly 2 years and 40,000 miles. I'm planning to buy a 2nd one.

A Surprisingly Fun Car to Drive
By Michael on 09/16/08 13:10 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Consistently gets in the range between 39 - 57 MPG depending on the drive I make. Excellent for hauling lawn mowers and snow blowers. Handling is pretty good. Definitely cuts down the amount of money you'll spend on gasoline for a month. Was able to twice make 400 miles on one tank of gas with a mix of local and highway driving.

Some complaints but still quite happy
By Frank Germann on 09/04/08 01:47 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got Package 5. This is actually my wife's car but I drive it about half the time and probably over half the miles. We really like it especially the mileage. We have been getting over 50 MPG lately but as low as 36 in winter with minus 20 temperatures and short trips of 6 miles to work and back. The back bumper cover didn't fit well both sides and glove box had to be replaced twice because of non uniform gap. Also one of my Goodyear tires had to be replaced at my expense. They said we abused the tire which was false. We have had this car a year now and we use it whenever we can and the Camry, which only gets 31, sits in the garage. The 15,000 mile service cost almost $200 which is a rip off

Prius is Good
By B. Whitcomb on 08/18/08 18:53 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent acceleration - achieved 50.4 MPG from Philly to NYC. Average in first year combined 44 mpg. Quiet comfortable in passenger seat. Technology state of the art with keyless start, mpg, back up camera.

Uncomfortable, at best
By Uncomfortable seats on 08/16/08 20:39 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall this is a great little car, but be careful if you don't get the adjustable leather seats. I've had the car for about 1 1/2 years and although I've saved a lot of money in gas, I've spent a lot of money on acupuncture treatments for my back - and I didn't have a back problem before I started driving this car. It seems they put all the expense under the hood and then skimped on comfort. I tend to get a new car every 2 to 3 years and I've never had one with such an uncomfortable seat. I'm selling it soon.

Prius is a winner
By jimsimpson on 08/08/08 06:28 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my Prius as ex-demo with 670mls in Dec 07. Now have 8150 and got over 50 mpg(US)/62(UK) with last 6 tanksful, best mpg in summer and cruising under 60. That's about 20% thruway/80% city and suburbs. Hard ride on 195/55/16s but comfortable and quiet. As usual it's very reliable and well-built. I'm sold on this one but look forward to the bigger, better 1.8.

Ten Gallons a Month
By bcwhitcomb on 08/01/08 07:26 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Pros - very peppy, fun to drive, average mpg 43-44, excellent quality and reliability, cutting edge features, i.e., keyless fob, touch screen, steering wheel controls for stereo, heat/AC. Unusually quiet as highway speeds. Just completed our first trip on interstate from NC to PA in I-81 and recorded mpg of 50+, we had averaged 43-44 mpg in combined travel. 50+ on the highway was not expected. Cons - driver seat cramped for tall drivers-2 inches more seat travel would do the trick. Bottom line - well worth the cost if you plan to keep for more than 4 years.

Just traded my Prius
By John H. on 07/29/08 09:29 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great on gas mileage but I traded it because the traction control is AWFUL! Got stuck in the middle of the road 3 times with no power and twice on my lite slope driveway. Not safe in the MN winters when you lose power if the wheels spin. Had all options and everything worked great. Not comfortable though with manual seats, no power anything and no sunroof.

Someone if finally getting it right!
By Jason on 07/23/08 08:05 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our Prius. It is comfortable, fun to drive and so far very reliable. I just wish Toyota or someone made a small pickup hybrid that got 40-50 mpg! We have tracked fuel economy and found that in the winter months we averaged 48 mpg and the rest of the year it is 52 mpg. That is 70% city driving and the rest is highway. The lower gas mileage during the winter is a combination of cold air AND winter gasoline formulation, which means that ALL gasoline cars gets less mpg in winter, not just the Prius.