Used 2007 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Not What I Expected
By New England

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased new in early '07, & was initially disappointed car only got 38-39 mpg. Salesman didn't mention anything about needed to learn to drive differently, or art of hypermiling. No one said this when they were hyping 61 mpgs on sticker. Not right. Terrible in snow or slick surfaces even w/traction control, & even after replacing odd size OEM tires with better tires. Feels like you're "slipping" when braking over potholes. Can be scary. Disappointed had to learn to drive like a lil'ol granny to feel somewhat safe in this vehicle. Though driving this slowly reaps 52-54 mpg during spring & summer months. Probably a very good car if one lives in hot, dry climate but not New England.

Favorite Features

Mileage is 46-48 in winter. Super quiet ride. Comfortable on short trip (hour or so) for four adults.

Suggested Improvements

A-shaped posts on either side of windshield are blind spots. Especially passenger side when approaching 4-way intersections. Rear window has poor visibility. Front nose paint easily chips & dings. Replaced windshield (cracked by highway pebble) & now have a new rock "ding". Cabin slow to heat up

Economical People Mover
By mickeyrom

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If all that matters is economy...this is a very good car.If comfort on a long trip is important....forget it.The seat has only two adjustments...backward and forward, and angle of the back.The steering wheel can only be tilted,and it constantly makes contact with my knees. Instrument panel is very hard to see in the sunlight and lacks even a temp. gauge.The trip computer has no range position,So you had better not let it get too low.The car also makes lots of noises and does not seem to have the build quality of other Toyotas.A bit of a rattle trap.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry and start.Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Seriously needs a 6 way adjustable driver's seat with a lumbar support.It also needs the items described in my comments above.

Love the Prius But...
By pbonem

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the car for all the reasons everyone else loves the car. Always considered it one of my best purchases of any product ever. Never had a complaint until today and, now, I'm think of selling the car. I park in a smallish garage with the hood of the car under a storage shelf; I can't open the hood without backing the car a few feet. And, two nights ago, I left the driver's door ajar, draining the 12 volt battery. That's the 12 volt battery in the far left rear of the car, accessible ONLY via the rear hatchback door that DOES NOT OPEN WITHOUT ELECTRICTY. The solution recommended in the owners manual is to crawl into the back and start disassembling the car from the inside.

first impression
By scott h.

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned the car for a month and will review again but for now I love it. At current gas prices ($2.60) I save $1,300 and was surprised to find it is $250 cheaper to insure than a 2003 forester worth a 1/3 the price of an 07 prius. As far as I am concerned it will save me $1500 plus a year x 5 years = $7500 of the $16,000 I paid. I do not consider myself a tree hugger type. If it were an uncomfortable econobox I would not have bought it. That said I do feel good about cutting my gasoline consumption in half.

Favorite Features

The computer that trains me in the art of driving like a grandma, mpg's, bluetooth phone, ipod attachment to stereo and steering wheel controls and side curtain airbags. The leather seats are great as well.

Suggested Improvements

Rear visibility is poor and the paint chips easily.

most displeased
By dlo

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Highly dangerous car in snow and ice and rain. If there is the slightest skid the car brakes lock and you cant steer it so you just hope there is no oncoming traffic till it comes to a stop. CAr has done 360 and gone into soft shoulders in minimal snow conditions. Now it accelerates whenever i go over the smallest hole or skid. I believe it should be incl in recall as sudden acceleration is more frequent. I am most displeased with the vehicle. At dealership was told if is excellent car for good weather conditions and that I should have a backup vehicle for NY winters. It never got the sticker mileage and only gets 42mpg. It takes inordinate time for the heater to turn on.

Favorite Features

There is no favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate Traction control which is a dangerous gimmick which causes complete lack of control under dangerous conditions!