2007 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Love the car but watch out for stereo
By RmW on 03/16/09 10:04 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall a great car. I live in Boston and year round I get the EPA 46 mpg. The technology is great - bluetooth, GPS, dimming mirror, stability control - all excellent. Watch out for the stereo. Even the high end has no mids or bass. I had to get a subwoofer and it helped. Also, the traction control for the snow on all of Toyota's hybrids is poor but livable. The deal with poor mpg in the cold weather has to do with the heater. Short cold trips kill the mileage because the Prius uses the engine to heat the car. This requires it to idle and run constantly until it is up to temp to heat the car's interior. So if you want better mileage leave the heat off until the engine warms.

Be A Happy Prius Owner
By Dale on 03/03/09 20:26 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've got 23K miles on my 07 Prius now & love it. For those who say the MPG isn't as good as expected let me tell you that if you live in a cold climate that the winter MPG will drop nearly 10MPG. Your dealer will tell you that if you question your cold climate MPG. Reason is the gas motor needs to run more in cold weather to keep the batteries charged. I can tell you though that in normal warm weather (above 40 degress) that I get 48-50 MPG easily. Admittedly I drive for gas mileage---at the speed limit & no lead foot. After all that's why I bought the Prius, for optimum gas mileage. I love it & have put a deposit on a new 2010 model, which is newly designed bigger motor & even better MPG

Awesome Car and Fun to Drive
By RP Messenger on 03/02/09 11:40 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the best car I have ever owned. In almost two years of ownership have put 46k miles on the car with no issues. Unfortunately, last month my husband was in a car accident that totaled our beloved car. This car is so well designed that with the total loss of the vehicle my husband walked away with only a seatbelt rash. The airbags are amazing and did their job perfectly. The police were surprised he was not hurt. If you are looking for a safe, reliable, fun, high MPG car then this is the one for you. We miss our car are waiting to the 2010 Prius to replace the 2007.

Happy go Lucky
By Happy Go Lucky on 02/22/09 16:47 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I first bought the car, I said only the wife should drive but soon all of us were drawn to drive this space shaped car. Easy car to own for city folk. Don't go long distances because your seat will not offer the comfort needed for long trips. Great mileage and fun to drive in the city. Enjoy a simple interior design that fits 4 comfortably. A car for all in the city. All we have done is changed the oil and regular maintenance.

Don't Buy a Prius
By pam2bad on 01/17/09 09:22 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I first got my Prius I loved it. Now, a year and half later, I'm hating it. For the past 2 months I have had trouble with the headlights going out on me and I have had it not start for me several times. The dealership I took it to in Maryland said it would cost me $400 to replace one headlight. When I told them about the car not starting they said it must be my battery. Then when they looked at it they said the battery was fine. I went to start up the car two days later it wouldn't start. I didn't leave any lights on or anything that would drain the battery and who knows how much a new battery for this car will cost. When you buy a car it should at least hold up longer than 1 1/2 yrs

Problems with Our Prius
By Ken Horn on 12/25/08 09:48 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had repeated electrical issues resulting in the dash going blank. This has happened repeatedly and the car has been in 4 times in 20,000 miles for the same issue. Very frustrating. This is a safety issue, try driving at night with the dash electrical system all out. It gives no warning it still appears to not be corrected. My Ford has been much better quality.

So much better than I anticipated
By ken on 12/06/08 15:20 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For those of you who have not driven one, you will be surprised. This car has surprising acceleration and lots of space inside. The Bluetooth, MP3 jack and backup camera are a real plus. The downside is the comfort level. The seats have little support, and are not comfortable for drive that goes beyond 45 minutes.

The next generation will be even better
By bud on 11/01/08 08:22 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A surprising pleasure to drive. Very fun and REALLY fun at the gas pump. I was surprised at the acceleration the car has. I expected it to be anemic but it's quite nimble in daily driving. A perfect car for city dwellers. Super easy to park and navigate in tight spots.

It's Beautiful When You Get to Know It
By oolalaa on 10/31/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Maybe the big draw is the gas mileage, but once you get to know this car, it becomes a thing of beauty. Once you begin to understand that the lines were developed for efficiency, rather than trend, the smoothness of the hybrid drivetrain, the excellent handling (mine is the touring model) and the good feeling that you are making each drop of gas go as far as it can, you grow to see the beauty come through. Now, when I look at it, I see an utterly gorgeous machine. One that is more advanced than any BMW, Porsche or Mercedes. It's also very very useful. It can carry four passengers in comfort, carry 10 bags of cement without a problem and fit in 8' lumber.

Best Car I've ever owned
By Bill on 10/05/08 17:06 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I live in the mountains, but I still have a lifetime MPG of 50.7. Climate control is fantastic, stabilization control, tire pressure monitoring and 6 air bags, makes this car very safe. Hybrid-electric doesn't mean gutless. While you will sacrifice MPG for the moment, you can accelerate up a steep grade to 80 MPH + and keep up with anyone. No keys to mess with is great, just approach the car and cabin light up and the door opens, get in and go. This is truly a car ahead of its time. I've had -0- repairs or warranty work in nearly 2 years and 40,000 miles. I'm planning to buy a 2nd one.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.