Used 2007 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Best car on the planet!
By Marc

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Terrific car, as everyone says. Writing this mostly to contest the editor's comment that on the highway, when the battery is not being charged, the gas engine is "anemic." This is not true - it drives great at highway speeds. The editor's comment reflects a common misunderstanding of how hybrids work. The main reason fuel efficiency is so good is NOT due to regenerative braking or charging the battery at low speeds. It's because normally engines are sized for acceleration, and that wastes lots of gas when traveling at constant speed, even at 70 mph. With the Prius, the small engine cruises fine at 70 mph, and saves you lots of gas. For acceleratation, the electric motor kicks in - brilliant!

Not A Bad Little Car
By Tenlee

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a 14yr SUV-veteran, I had to face the fact that it was not long for the road. I thought of going for another SUV but I figured gas would be going through the roof and I needed a more economical vehicle for the frequent short trips I was now making. It took a few months for me to adjust to the change in height and performance of the Prius but the tradeoff has been worth it. It has a surprisingly smooth ride on the highway and doesn't feel like it's going 70 mph. Pickup from a stop is decent, maneuverability is good, not crazy about the backup alert, passenger room is comfortable for 4 people. My trips to the gas station have been cut in half compared with the SUV guzzler.

Good gas mileage, about 45-50 mpg. Peppier pickup than my SUV. Smooth and quiet ride. So quiet, I had an offer for a jump when the engine was running on battery power - the guy thought I stalled out.

Sounds like I'm driving a utility truck when I back up the Prius - would like an option to shut off the backup alert.

Perfect for retirees
By pablo

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought this when gas reached $3/gal in Colorado - mainly for use around town. The Prius has turned out to be great for road trips too - adequate power and no problem keeping up with Interstate traffic at 75 - 80mph. With a little care we consistently get 50 - 55 mpg in town, 48 to 52 mpg on long trips. Only complaints are cheapness of interior (with Package 6 leather) and unattractiveness of shiny black plastic interior trim.

Incredible gas mileage. Ride comfort. Quietness. Interior space. Exterior styling. Smart key system. Bluetooth phone connectivity. Backup camera.

Better quality seats and interior trim. More choices of interior color scheme. Better quality audio system.

Fun to drive
By janie

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Prius for almost 4 months and love it more every day! Changing jobs brought a longer commute, but ability to drive in the HOV lane makes the commute almost painless. I laugh as I zoom by all those folks at a dead stop on the freeway. Gas mileage has also increased as I learned better driving techniques - now averaging about 50 mpg. Love the bluetooth and use it constantly - makes good use of the long drive and a much safer way to talk on the phone, plus its easy to use. Storage in the back is more roomy than it looks - all the junk I carried in my larger SUV fit with room to spare and the cover hides everything. Expected to like the Prius, pleasantly surprised to love it!

Gas mileage of course, bluetooth, nav, smart key, steering wheel controls, touch screen. And it's nice looking too!

Electronic adjustable seats, get rid of the back-up beep! The black plastic dash could also be improved. I rated the quality a little lower because I have an annoying rattle in the dash that I can't seem to get rid of despite many efforts.

All around outstanding vehicle
By melisrush

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I went from a 2004 Pontiac Vibe to the 2007 Prius without thinking twice. This car is amazing. One month after purchasing the car, I took a road trip from Tampa, Fl to Toronto, Ontario. (That is about 3,000 miles there and back.) The cost for fuel both ways was $80.00. It was awesome to stop at gas stations to use the bathroom and not get gas. This car surely gets looks and many questions. I drove up for a family reunion and now many members of my family are in line for purchasing one. Also, when other Prius owners run into you, you have only great things to comment about. (I haven't met one with a bad comment!) On average I fill up every 2 weeks for about $25.00 each fill up.

The hatchback, all rear seats fold down to make a bed, the back-up camera, smart key feature, MP3 jack, and the comfort of the seats.

I really wish smart key would open all of the doors not just the driver's. A sunroof would be nice. Abolish the incessant back up beeping. A compass on all models, not just ones with navigation.

• SUV