2007 Toyota Prius Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2007 Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Sort Reviews by

Prius or Civic Hybrid or a Honda Insight ?
By fyler

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you reading this, chances are, you are considering a hybrid and you are torn between a Prius, Civic Hybrid and a Honda Insight. Get the Prius. I used to be a Civic Hybrid and an Insight owner, the Honda IMA hybrid system is the worst and their MPG sucks. Before I get my Prius I owned a 2001 Insight (IMA light showed up at 78K mile), I also tried 2005, 2006 and 2008 Civic Hybrid and the MPG was 38 MPG at the best and again IMA battery issues before 100K miles. The 2008 Civic Hybrid interiors are comfier than the Prius (at least for me) but the space on the Prius is awesome if you haul stuff.The Prius Hybrid system is VERY reliable. The Prius is similar to a Camry or an Accord.

Favorite Features

- Cargo Space. - Hybrid system is so reliable. - The Prius is so roomy. - I average 42MPG at least in Winter. - Resale value. - No timing belt. - Even if the Hybrid system fails, refurbished battery ( below 1400$ ) will keep you running for 7 years at least and this is a reliable car so its worth investing the money on it.

Suggested Improvements

- Center console needs improvement in the knee area ( I used to drive a Lexus so the Prius is not the most comfy car for me). - Leather seats are stiff.

Good, efficient transporation
By benson11

This car is good for what it is intended, getting from point A to point B. It is definitely not a sports car or the ultimate driving experience. It is great on gas and gets better mileage during the summer (when it is hotter). I am afraid to bring this up to the snow since it is somewhat under powered (for the higher elevations) and it isn't all wheel drive. Overall, this is great, practical transportation.

Fuel efficient
By subarudavis

30k miles on the car now, running strong. I like the car, it has good audio, comfortable seats (not electric though), roomy, and most of all its economical to run. My insurance gives me a break because its a hybrid, I pay a lot less for gas, and it is reliable. These features save me money but I am a little angry at toyota for making it so hard to change headlights, I had to bay a few hundred because the whole front bumper needs to be taken off to get to the HID lights on the touring model. No mechanical issues, one electrical issue with cd player not working, and the GPS is horrible. Not very fun to drive and not powerful. I get about 45mpg overall.

Favorite Features

MPG, engine and drivetrain reliability, economical to drive.

Suggested Improvements

expensive replacement parts and operations, bad handling, bad acceleration.

260,000 miles, no rattles, no creaks, no maintenance
By priusenvy1

I have driven a lot of great cars but this is by far tops. 260,000 miles, and not one creak, rattle or squeak..and that includes the brakes. I have never even had to change breaks or turned rotars, and my car drives perfectly straight still. Using engine to break and recharge battery saves the brakes!! Power is great, I can pass and go 90 mph if I wanted and engine has no straining. Oh and I have never had a tuneup either. My leather seats only have a side split in drivers seat, leather steering wheel still looks new. Dont be fooled, it's spacious and comfy. I am 6'1" and used to have back aches from driving so much, but this car's smooth ride has changed that too! Has saved me a fortune!

Favorite Features

Mileage, smooth ride, build quality. people say that interior is cheap, but it might not look great, but it lasts. Oh, and get the dark gray paint, if you can. It looks great, but is very susceptible to road chips. There paint ain't that great.

Suggested Improvements

I don't remember the original tires, but they were loud. I then changed to Michelin Primacy, and they are awesome, I get 80,000 and very quiet. Only problem I have had is replaced HID headlamps 3 times. There is a defect of some sort, I have spent $270 each time replaced both. Hid are expensive and changing them in Prius is a major pain, you have to take off bumper. I tried, but failed! Very frustrating. But that is only problem. Did I tell you I never have tuned it up, never changed timing belt or changed transmission fluid. I am so bad, and this car still has not made me pay!! Going in for needed maintenance this week, finally!!

Close but not cigar
By cheapdeep

I really wanted to like the Prius but ended up trading it in about a month after buying it. It drives like a golf cart but I'm ok with that. What really bothered me were some missing features and the ergonomics. This is a bit of an exaggeration but it felt like I had to press 3 buttons to change the radio. While the touch screen is cool and futurisic, nothing beats a button for functionality. Nothing on this car was intuitive. I constantly felt like I was doing a science experiment. And the transition between the electic motor and gas was not smooth.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage. Interior room and cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Ok Toyota, this is your state of the art tech car and you don't do Auto lights and one switch windows? And why would you bury a great feature like an auxilary port in your center console? The seats are pretty uncomfortable considering the car was 30k new. And a hundred dollar Garmin has a better GPS. The cloth armrest and center console are impossible to keep clean. hy would you bury the

it's okay but ...
By sparkyshan

We originally purchased this for my wife. We have since bought her a new car and I inherited it. I am 6'2" and I have found that the seat does not go back far enough for me. I am too close to the steering wheel for comfort. For short rides, it's okay, but anything over an hour and I am uncomfortable. Does get good mileage, which helps. To be honest, if I weren't upside down on the amount owed vs value, I would sell it and get a Subaru Outback.

Suggested Improvements

Enable the drivers seat to go back further. I have owned other Toyotas in the past and never had this problem.

Very Happy
By Angela

Purchased the car Toyota Certified w/50,000 miles. I have put 10,000 on it since. The car has been surprisingly good. I was really afraid to make this purchase after reading some reviews but I am really glad I did. I have had no trouble at all, scheduled maintenance is minimal and I LOVE the gas mileage. Keep in mind it is a small economical car but loaded out nicely it is great going down the road.

Gas Mileage/Reliability
By mark.k

My 2007 Prius Touring model with Navigation is excellent in two areas: gas mileage (EPA 44-48) and reliability. People should not expect it to drive like a sports car, to ride like a luxury car, or to perform like a high clearance 4WD SUV in winter conditions. However for what it was designed to be, it is a very good car. Just don't have unrealistic expectations and you will be very happy with a Prius. I have also owned an Avalon and two Camrys and they were very good cars.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage and reliability; ample interior room for four people; back up camera; and unleaded gasoline.

Suggested Improvements

Rear window visibility.

Great, great car
By jed

This is a great car. Comfortable, fun to drive, fascinating to use such a progressive vehicle. In Vancouver Canada, these things go for two hundred thousand miles between brake pad changes. I shake my head when trolls on this site trash the Prius. Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) turns many North Americans off these cars. "10,000 batteries need replacement every few years". "Emergency workers die from electrocution when getting survivors out of Prius wrecks". An Industry funded "study" that showed Hummers were more environmentally friendly than the Prius based on the most ridiculous assumptions i.e. Hummers last 300,000 miles but the Prius lasts only 100,000?, etc,etc.

Favorite Features

Smart key fob, great mileage, all the airbags, HID lights

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper, faster (2010 model).

Not What I Expected
By New England

Purchased new in early '07, & was initially disappointed car only got 38-39 mpg. Salesman didn't mention anything about needed to learn to drive differently, or art of hypermiling. No one said this when they were hyping 61 mpgs on sticker. Not right. Terrible in snow or slick surfaces even w/traction control, & even after replacing odd size OEM tires with better tires. Feels like you're "slipping" when braking over potholes. Can be scary. Disappointed had to learn to drive like a lil'ol granny to feel somewhat safe in this vehicle. Though driving this slowly reaps 52-54 mpg during spring & summer months. Probably a very good car if one lives in hot, dry climate but not New England.

Favorite Features

Mileage is 46-48 in winter. Super quiet ride. Comfortable on short trip (hour or so) for four adults.

Suggested Improvements

A-shaped posts on either side of windshield are blind spots. Especially passenger side when approaching 4-way intersections. Rear window has poor visibility. Front nose paint easily chips & dings. Replaced windshield (cracked by highway pebble) & now have a new rock "ding". Cabin slow to heat up