Used 2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

2007 Prius is nice vehicle
By allsmiles277

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got a 2007 Prius about 1 1/2 years ago. I had always wanted one and I already had a 2000 Honda Insight. I had to fix the melted hatchback opener since Toyota acts like the problem does not exist. I also had a bad experience one morning early in pitch dark when both of my headlights went out simultaneously. I was scared to death. I never drive in the dark any more. Toyota also acts like this headlight problem does not exist. Toyota will never do any work on my car unless they are the last straw. I have lost faith in Toyota. I always thought they were a good car company. Now I know better.

I like the body style of the Prius Touring model. The car has a good ride. It has more room than my 2000 Honda Insight. I love the mileage that I am getting. I am getting around 48 mpg and very happy with that. My 2000 Honda Insight gets around 60 mpg on the highway. Overall the Prius is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. It had only 26,700 miles on it and it is only up to 32,000 miles now.

Toyota need to step up to the plate and fix the melting black hatchback material that make it impossible to open in cold temperatures. I bought a new hatchback mechanism and got an offset Phillips screwdriver and took the black goo off of the white plastic. I also took the inside mechanism out of my existing hatchback and replaced it with the new inside piece. It works like a charm and only cost me about 40 dollars. The Toyota Corporation is not a friend of mine nor will they ever be after the way I have been treated.

Love my Prius's
By rubber2road

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At age 56 I have come to appreciate the practical things in life much more. No more do I require a vehicle that does 0-60 mph in less than 6 seconds. I much more appreciate value for my $1. My 2007 Prius was my first purchase of a Toyota and I had to convince my wife of the new purchase as she didn't like the looks of the car. But after driving it and seeing all the features it had, she suddenly changed her thinking and hopped on board. That was 8 years, 174,00 miles ago. Though we bought a new 2014 Prius in July 2014, we are finding it hard to part with our 07. It runs great, has the original battery and will chirp the tires during hard acceleration from a stop, something the 14 won't do.

My favorite features of the Prius are value and reliability. Everyone surely is aware of the gas mileage ability of these cars and they are real. I tend to get better mileage than my wife because of the differences in the way we drive. She is more of a "jack rabbit" accelerator and I am more conservative with gas mileage in mind. As far as reliability, with 174K, I have changed oil (synthetic) regularly, replaced the tires twice, replaced right front wheel bearing, brakes once at 150K, both front headlights, and that is it! This car also introduced us to a back up camera, blue tooth hands free phone, 6 disc cd changer and GPS. As is the response when I ask other Prius owners, I love it!

I have never been happy with the fuel gauge set up on the 07 but know it has been improved on the newer models. Living in northern Illinois, the cold winters take a huge bite out of the gas mileage. However, knowing the gas engine has to run more often in order for the cabin to get heat helps to explain the mileage demise. If a person could "have his cake and eat it too", which I believe Tesla has shown can be available, acceleration and more power would be great. The Prius does have adequate acceleration and highway passing ability but not up to expectation of an enthusiast. Overall, I have been very happy with my first Toyota Prius purchase.

Prius or Civic Hybrid or a Honda Insight ?
By fyler

If you reading this, chances are, you are considering a hybrid and you are torn between a Prius, Civic Hybrid and a Honda Insight. Get the Prius. I used to be a Civic Hybrid and an Insight owner, the Honda IMA hybrid system is the worst and their MPG sucks. Before I get my Prius I owned a 2001 Insight (IMA light showed up at 78K mile), I also tried 2005, 2006 and 2008 Civic Hybrid and the MPG was 38 MPG at the best and again IMA battery issues before 100K miles. The 2008 Civic Hybrid interiors are comfier than the Prius (at least for me) but the space on the Prius is awesome if you haul stuff.The Prius Hybrid system is VERY reliable. The Prius is similar to a Camry or an Accord.

- Cargo Space. - Hybrid system is so reliable. - The Prius is so roomy. - I average 42MPG at least in Winter. - Resale value. - No timing belt. - Even if the Hybrid system fails, refurbished battery ( below 1400$ ) will keep you running for 7 years at least and this is a reliable car so its worth investing the money on it.

- Center console needs improvement in the knee area ( I used to drive a Lexus so the Prius is not the most comfy car for me). - Leather seats are stiff.

Time to Put it Down
By jtn16

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this car used in 2011. I was averaging a commute of 400-500 miles per week as a college adjunct. The first year of owning this Prius was fun, mainly because of the novelty of going hybrid. Then I got established and didn't need to commute to 4 campuses a day. Got married. Got a dog. I took the car out to camp several times. It couldn't hold up well to our busy and slightly chaotic lifestyle. The hatch rubber handle melted my first summer with it and shortly after the whole back hatch broke due to its brittle plastic. Had issues with the power button throughout. I put only 50K on it. It might be time to let it go.

Back camera, novelty of owning the best MPG car out there, fold-down seats, cargo compartments.

Better hatch construction (I used it a lot with my dog being back there), interior needs higher quality fabric/materials, plastic will become brittle.

Used 2007 Prius
By hadrian

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased used in 2/12 for $ 10,300.with 66k. Have driven for 1 year, now have 80k on vehicle. Has performed well in daily commute avg 40-43 mpg 30 mile round trip daily. Maint. costs very low, replaced frt pads, air filter and changed oil twice; thats it. Put snows on front and performs okay in up to 4" of plowed snow. Beige interior not best looking and shows dirt and/or stains; get something darker. Overall no regrets; will have a long time; prob give to daughter for longer commute out of town for two yr masters.

Purchase price used was great. MPG. Holds road well for a small car.

More interior colors. Improve the speakers. Power driver seat should be standard