Used 2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Most Helpful|
Whats wrong with my brakes?
By Jayr

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my car in May of this year as a used vehicle. I loved it until last week. I was sitting in my car, which was off, when i turned the car on it asked me to get to a level ground and take the e-brake off. I would have except I was on level ground, the e-brake was off and my car wouldn't start. My dashboard had all my brake lights on. 4 hours of assistance and towing and they told me it was my battery. Exactly one week later, I was driving down the highway, less than a mile from my exit when my car started making a beep noise, and again ALL my brake lights came on. This time my car was in motion and the brake pedal would not work, it was rock stiff as I went 60 mph on an exit ramp.

Favorite Features

Like i said, I loved my car until it became dangerous. I risked my life trying to get off a highway. I barely missed another car on the off ramp before i pulled the wheel hard left at the intersection and my car shut off and would not start.

Suggested Improvements

My car is now at the dealership & the company has no idea what is wrong with it. I do not want my car back as I am afraid they will tell me the problem is fixed again, but as you can see it was not fixed the first time. My car averaged 45 mpg, was not horrible uncomfortable & like i said i loved it.

Love the Prius But...
By pbonem

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the car for all the reasons everyone else loves the car. Always considered it one of my best purchases of any product ever. Never had a complaint until today and, now, I'm think of selling the car. I park in a smallish garage with the hood of the car under a storage shelf; I can't open the hood without backing the car a few feet. And, two nights ago, I left the driver's door ajar, draining the 12 volt battery. That's the 12 volt battery in the far left rear of the car, accessible ONLY via the rear hatchback door that DOES NOT OPEN WITHOUT ELECTRICTY. The solution recommended in the owners manual is to crawl into the back and start disassembling the car from the inside.

Time to Put it Down
By jtn16

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this car used in 2011. I was averaging a commute of 400-500 miles per week as a college adjunct. The first year of owning this Prius was fun, mainly because of the novelty of going hybrid. Then I got established and didn't need to commute to 4 campuses a day. Got married. Got a dog. I took the car out to camp several times. It couldn't hold up well to our busy and slightly chaotic lifestyle. The hatch rubber handle melted my first summer with it and shortly after the whole back hatch broke due to its brittle plastic. Had issues with the power button throughout. I put only 50K on it. It might be time to let it go.

Favorite Features

Back camera, novelty of owning the best MPG car out there, fold-down seats, cargo compartments.

Suggested Improvements

Better hatch construction (I used it a lot with my dog being back there), interior needs higher quality fabric/materials, plastic will become brittle.

Love my Prius's
By rubber2road

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At age 56 I have come to appreciate the practical things in life much more. No more do I require a vehicle that does 0-60 mph in less than 6 seconds. I much more appreciate value for my $1. My 2007 Prius was my first purchase of a Toyota and I had to convince my wife of the new purchase as she didn't like the looks of the car. But after driving it and seeing all the features it had, she suddenly changed her thinking and hopped on board. That was 8 years, 174,00 miles ago. Though we bought a new 2014 Prius in July 2014, we are finding it hard to part with our 07. It runs great, has the original battery and will chirp the tires during hard acceleration from a stop, something the 14 won't do.

Favorite Features

My favorite features of the Prius are value and reliability. Everyone surely is aware of the gas mileage ability of these cars and they are real. I tend to get better mileage than my wife because of the differences in the way we drive. She is more of a "jack rabbit" accelerator and I am more conservative with gas mileage in mind. As far as reliability, with 174K, I have changed oil (synthetic) regularly, replaced the tires twice, replaced right front wheel bearing, brakes once at 150K, both front headlights, and that is it! This car also introduced us to a back up camera, blue tooth hands free phone, 6 disc cd changer and GPS. As is the response when I ask other Prius owners, I love it!

Suggested Improvements

I have never been happy with the fuel gauge set up on the 07 but know it has been improved on the newer models. Living in northern Illinois, the cold winters take a huge bite out of the gas mileage. However, knowing the gas engine has to run more often in order for the cabin to get heat helps to explain the mileage demise. If a person could "have his cake and eat it too", which I believe Tesla has shown can be available, acceleration and more power would be great. The Prius does have adequate acceleration and highway passing ability but not up to expectation of an enthusiast. Overall, I have been very happy with my first Toyota Prius purchase.

Used 2007 Prius
By hadrian

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased used in 2/12 for $ 10,300.with 66k. Have driven for 1 year, now have 80k on vehicle. Has performed well in daily commute avg 40-43 mpg 30 mile round trip daily. Maint. costs very low, replaced frt pads, air filter and changed oil twice; thats it. Put snows on front and performs okay in up to 4" of plowed snow. Beige interior not best looking and shows dirt and/or stains; get something darker. Overall no regrets; will have a long time; prob give to daughter for longer commute out of town for two yr masters.

Favorite Features

Purchase price used was great. MPG. Holds road well for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

More interior colors. Improve the speakers. Power driver seat should be standard