The best decision I ever made besides my marriage
By joyfulnoise on
2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Purchased in summer 2006. With just under 141,000 miles, I've loved this car every minute I've driven it. Average mix of city/hwy I get 50-55 mpg, with full highway driving 49-53 depending on length of the drive (a few hours vs. much longer distances.) regular gas. It has saved me a fortune in gas and like the 4 Toyotas I owned before it since 1981, it has been continuously reliable. In spring 2012 my hybrid battery died at @128K. I decided: Why buy a new car? There's none better on the market. Replaced the hybrid battery for $2400, now have another 100K warranty on battery. Few things have been a problem - headlights expensive, struts went at 89K, but virtually nothing else. AMAZING car.
Suggested Improvements
Difficult to see from the sides of the car when looking over the shoulder. When replacing hybrid battery I had a nearly 2-month delay in spring 2012 because the battery had to come over from tsunami-ravaged area of Japan, but the dealership provided a replacement vehicle during that time. Hybrid batteries are backordered, it's a hardship and a shame, but worth the wait -- there's no car currently on the market that is more reliable or a better value than this one, so for a mere @$2500 more, to have a vehicle with new 100K warranty on battery, it's a blessing.