179,476 miles and still going strong
By ehaw on
2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
LOVE my Prius! We are high mileage commuters, perfect car for the miles we drive. Purchased for $15,200 in 2009 used with mid 20k miles. Use Michelins for a better ride and gas mileage. We are getting 44-56 mpg depending on how much we run A/C (Hey it's Texas, so most of the time) Early morning when it is still cool can easily hit 52-56 since most are highway miles. Expenses occurred so far: Use a K&N engine air filter which saves on air filter expense - not that hard to clean and recharge. Oil changes at 5000k, wiper blades, and I change cabin air filter myself to save service charge. Biggest expense - replacing a part that controls the changeover between electric and gas. $500
Favorite Features
Gas mileage and the amount of money we have saved. Leather seats are hard but comfortable. Like all the interior room and the back hatchback for the grocery store. Holds plenty of stuff including dog kennels.
Suggested Improvements
Have had problems with the headlights going on and off a lot which gets irritating. Luckily, we don't drive that much at night. Small tires and heavy downpours do not go together. It does not handle that well in wind and rain. Somewhat noisy inside passenger cabin but liveable when I think about the money I am saving.