2006 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Prius Gets Around

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Prius Gets Around
By Chopperman on

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My bottom line - I'll trade my Prius on a new Prius when I'm ready for a new car. Much improved generation technology; drastic difference from earliest models. Handling and ride improve noticeably with premium tires. Great cornering abilities. Mileage and performance are very sensitive to air filter cleanliness. Excellent mileage at sea level and on flat terrain (VA Beach ~65 MPG/~61MPG along Lake Erie). No more loss of power on mountain drives (Sideling Hill, MD). Great in snow and on ice. Looks are OK, if you're into pregnant roller skates but very few of us buy it for the looks. So far, no repairs just oil and filter changes. I bought a 100,000 extended warranty with the car, not needed.

Favorite Features

Back up camera, audio jack, cruise control, mileage, storage space/hatch back, leg room, tire pressure sensor, conversations at the fuel pump

Suggested Improvements

Traction control frequently engages to the detriment of pulling into traffic. NEEDS to have a manual on/off switch for this feature. Winter mileage needs improvement - drops ~25% with cold weather/winter gas blends. Could definitely stand a premium sound system. OEM tires are atrocious.