Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )

What a Car
By resoh02

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 2006 with 27000 miles avg between 46 to 50 mpg. Absolutely think this is the best car on the road dollar for dollar. I can't believe the car, ride, room, and mileage.

Favorite Features

Love smart key system, fold down seats that give you plenty of room, gas mileage, ride, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Improved lighting inside, rear hatch release, mute on radio, compass std, less touchy when going from battery to Motor and vise versa. EV mode standard and of course better mileage

I love my prius
By mdrobins

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. I love the MPG monitor, it allows you to re-train yourself into better driving habits. If you dont speed, accelerate easily, stop slowly and less often you can get up to 52 MPG. I can go over 430 miles on one tank. If you do this, it is worth the price tag.

Favorite Features

All the storage, MPG, MPG, MPG, MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior interior, softer seats.

Love my Prius!
By Sue L.

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Less than 2 years old, and I'm replacing a headlight bulb... for $311 plus labor! Ouch! So much for having an inexpensive "green" car! Come on Toyota!!

Favorite Features

Love the fold-down seats in the back... will hold a lot of cargo!

Suggested Improvements

Add running lights!! Also heated leather seats!

30,000 Update
By okedoke

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just hit 30K. Car running strong, developed rattle in front dash, fixed by dealer. Had Toyota service per manual, plus alignment, replaced OEM tires with Fuzion HRIs. These tires make a big difference in handling, the car now 'sticks' like never before. As of this writing, the best car I have ever owned. Avg MPG in summer 48-50, avg fall through spring 42-44. Change oil @ 10K intervals, use Mobil Full syn 15K rated oil. Oil is still pretty clean at 10K, and still shows 100% full on the dipstick as it did when filled at the last change. Engine seems nice and tight after 30K. If they keep building them this way, I'll be getting another when time is due. Solid car!!

Favorite Features

MPG, roomy interior, hatchback / folding rear seats, rear camera, keyless ignition, and in the winter, the vehicle stability control, and also knowing I have a blanket of airbags if something should go wrong.

Suggested Improvements

Make the seats more comfy. Need a plug in model as soon as possible. Radio system issues - I upgraded to the JBL system / 6 cd player. The system playing CDs is great, but radio reception is not that great. Wonder if engine could be config'd to run on 2 cyl when on highway for even better MPG?

Trust Us to Use the Navigation System!
By lamban

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My husband and I love the Prius we have. The only issue (and it is completely unacceptable) is that Toyota does not trust the driver (or the passenger) to use the navigation system safely while the car is moving. Either restore the 2005 and previous override or only disable the nav system if no one is in the passenger seat. If we had known what limited functionality the navigation system provides while you are actually enroute, we would not have bought it!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Roomy interior. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Enable the navigation after the driver accepts responsibility by pressing some button for acknowledgement or only disable it when no passenger is in the car or reenable the override capability that was in model 2005 and previous models!