2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
Love my Prius
By OLMESBOB on 10/28/06 05:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A very nice, well built and fun to drive vehicle. Even without the hybrid it would be a nice vehicle. My wife and I enjoy it very much. Gas mileage is at about 50 on average.

evaluating our Prius
By Ann Talbot on 10/23/06 05:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

There is a ratle in the dash but that is the only complaint.Mileage is 30 % less than advertised but 42 mpg is fine. I sorly miss instruments like tachometer compass temperature.The exterior is alarmingly velnerable to dings due to the lack of any "bump- strips". The ovehead sunglass tray looks and feels cheap. The upolstry does not look or feel in the same class as our old 1990 626. I'm glad it says Toyota on it. Time will tell if it was a good idea.

We love it
By Kate on 10/18/06 10:17 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I only have this car for a month now, and I love it. The only problem I have is the rear mirror - wish there was a better way to see out of it. I also get about 45 mpg - do not know how to get it to go higher. That is around town. I got about 51 on a trip last week. Great car-traded in our Hondy Odyssey since the family is now grown, and my husband and I just love the Prius. We keep our cars forever and I believe we will be keeping this Prius. We love it so far.

Life Changing
By Scott H. on 10/14/06 05:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I finally talked each other into buying a Prius 3 weeks ago and we are very happy. Very well built and fun to drive and it is a constent reminder about what we can do better if we are willing to make changes. They were smart to show the MPG and allow you to retrain yourself with how you drive. You never forget that it is a hybrid and I think that is smart design decision. Also a great way to educate my kids on pollution, smart technology that looks to solve a real problem and allowing yourself to try new things.

Prius driving fun
By Ronald Solberg on 10/10/06 08:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have found the Prius provides one of the most enjoyable driving experiences I have ever had with any car. Over the years I have driven 2-3 dozen different automobiles. What has made the experience so enjoyable is that the car has changed my driving style, all for the better. The on-going fuel consumption monitoring/reporting system has encouraged me to set new consumption goals each trip I make with the car, thus forcing me to do the things that make my drives safer and more economic.

380 miles on 1st tank (~9.5 gal)
By Eric on 10/09/06 12:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got 43 mpg on my first tank - I use the car to commute 8+ miles (each way) to work - 3/4 of the daily trip is local, and ~4 miles are highway. The handling is great - the weight of the car is nicely distributed and you can really tell the difference when making tight turns. The start from traffic light is much faster because of the electric motor assist. Overall it's much more responsive than a normal gas engine car, and I can really tell the difference when I switch to drive my wife's regular car.

My New Prius
By Denise on 10/08/06 21:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Over all I think this is a very good buy. I am saving tons of money on gas already. I drive an hour+ each way to and from work so this has been wonderful. Even though the freeway I use has no carpool lane, the savings makes a big difference. Everyone asks questions about my car everywhere I go, and Im so happy to show them all the goodies on it. I would love everyone to own at least one hybrid.

Great Car
By cwsch on 10/06/06 12:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A very good car. Excellent build quality from Toyota. Has lots of pep and handles very well. There is a little more body roll in cornering than most sedans but it is not uncomfortable. Gas mileage is very good but it will flucuate depending on the steepness of the hills that you have to drive over, but still I drive in West Virginia and average between 46 and 55 mpg on the highway at 65 to 75 mph. It also has great aerodynamics and has no handling problems around large semis. City driving is high 50's to 60 mpg. Interior is very roomy with Lexus type build quality with few complaints. The back window takes getting used to but the car comes with a rear camera display for backing.

survey
By rgar on 10/06/06 11:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

so far driving this car has been a great experience. would definitely buy again, but would like to see a moonroof added as an option

Great car
By Jerry Coghlan on 10/04/06 16:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love to drive the car in the city and on the highway. Even the back seat is comfortable to ride in on extended trips. Would like to see the hybrid technology in the Toyota trucks.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.