2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
Went from muscle to green
By Hoshi on 12/14/06 15:41 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car, marginal review mirror visibility. Went from muscle to green and loving it. Mileage takes a hit in hilly terrain. 48-52 mpg highway, <40 around town for short trips.

Double Pleasure
By Carol on 12/11/06 20:09 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At 54 yrs of age and the owner of many cars this hybrid car is the best car I EVER owned. It is fun to drive, excellent gas mileage plenty of power and I definitely am doing my part for the environment. Over the past few years it has improved on the looks too. It is truly amazing how much power this little car has. The display on the dash shows in detail how the energy/gas consumption is being used. It's almost a year I owned this car with no problems. The only time it was at the dealership was for an oil change. To fill the tank it cost me about $24. It can get 61 mpg on the highway and 53 mpg in the city. When you're at a stop light or in slower traffic that is when the electric motor runs!

The car we needed.
By Benny on 12/09/06 05:59 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We want to buy two now. It is everything we needed in a car. The gas mileage is not as advertised but it is better than anything we have had before. Great car!

My Prius
By L Heathman on 12/03/06 22:12 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If there is one thing, be sure not to leave a door open all night. My son didn't shut my hatch all the way. The next AM, I couldn't start it. And it will not move. You can't just put it in neutral and back it out. You better have an extra long set of jumper cables.LOL. Seriously though, I love the car, it's got great cargo space and very comfortable inside. I got the basic model, one I could afford, and find. They are very hard to come by. What you save in gas and insurance from day one will make up the cost.

Convert to Fuel Economy
By Rob on 11/11/06 08:40 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Prius handles well and has been a pleasure to drive. Takes time getting used to driving a car without as much initial pickup as my old Pontiac, but there is no comparison in mileage and visits to gas station. Mileage around town avg about 45 mpg. Recent highway trip averaged 53 mpg. I use cruise control a lot to help with mileage. I'm saving over $200/mo in gas since I got rid of my former gas guzzler. Tax credit a big plus. I bought the basic model and love it. Lots of room for luggage for vacation or weekend trips.

One step at a time.
By joe sosa on 11/05/06 18:53 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We wanted to walk the walk and not just talk the talk. By going hybrid we are trying to take that first step and wonderful things are taking place. People are talking to us about the idea, logistics, etc. The car seems very well thought out and user friendly. 'Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it'(Gandhi) Hopefully our Prius will lead to many good things. I have to give credit to my wife as she really pushed the idea!

Love My Prius!
By Davidnesc on 11/04/06 09:20 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Wow this car is like driving the car of the future! I am getting about 53 mpg average. Sticker said 61 mpg but here in Ky we do not have the stop and go traffic to get the higher mileage. It is quiet, smooth, powerful and the interior space is amazing. The back seat is far larger than anyone would imagine from looking at the outside.

Love my Prius!
By Meg on 11/01/06 17:13 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have only had my Prius for three months and have already driven 12,000 miles. It handles nicely and the gas mileage runs 51 mpg on the average, but I do very little city driving and some fast interstate driving. Just love it and recommend it as one vehicle in a two car family.

Three day review
By 140Mandak262Jamuna on 11/01/06 06:52 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Level 6 options. Bought it out of state and drove 500 miles on highway bringing it home. 48 MPG at 65 mph mostly. Within the city highway driving at 55 mph gives about 52 mpg. Hoping to get 60 MPG within the city at mostly 40 mph and 35 mph driving. Will report later. Lots of features, would take me a week to find all the features and test them.

New Prius Owner and Loving It
By nittanyjj on 10/30/06 17:49 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love having a Prius - 7 gallon fill ups every 350 miles are a good thing! So far I don't have any complaints about the car - still learning about all the bells and whistles.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.