Used 2006 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 251 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (251 reviews )

It Does What It's Supposed to Do
By Psychprofessor

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

On the fun-to-drive meter, the Prius ranks pretty low. However, when it comes to practicality, gas mileage, and reliability, it's a definite 10! One thing I really like is that after we had had it about a year, the highway gas mileage improved significantly. Now, we regularly get 50+ mpg on trips. On a recent trip to Nashville, a total of 703 miles roundtrip, we averaged 52.3 mpg. Also, that's driving at the speed limit whenever possible. I also appreciate the fact that in more than a year and a half of hard use, there are still no rattles and no problems at all.

Great mileage, usable interior space, comfortable seats. Did I say great gas mileage? Keyless entry is nice, also.

More upscale features for the price. We paid nearly 30K for our car with navigation, leather, the works. It would be nice if the car had power seats.

An excellent ride
By Tim

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Haven't had our 3rd Prius a full year yet, so I'm not really sure how many miles I'll drive it / year. (My wife has one, and we had a 2001 1st gen. model.) Excellent gas mileage (this tank: 55), although is lower in winter (low-mid 40s). I always marvel at the tight turning radius. The backup camera makes parking so much more easy. Plenty of room - 5 adults PLUS a good amount of cargo room in the hatchback area. Once, I-66 was stopped. I get in the HOV lane, floor it, drop 0.1MPG, get to 60 in about 10sec. I've gotten it to 85 before I realized how fast I was going - gotta watch it, the Prius is too smooth. Most fillups are about 7.5gal. Not bad at all.

MPG, backup camera, tight turning radius; I'm hooked!

Backup camera only works when in reverse. Make it so it can be turned on whenever.

The greatest
By all one needs

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I rate the car an easy 9.4 and should be higher. The Prius is a perfect urban car. Easy to park; very much fun to drive; very comfortable regardless of the weather; and high 40's mpgs. The quirky styling only adds to allure of this well-designed , well-engineered car from Toyota. This is my 2nd Prius and though I tried the Camry Hybrid and the Honda Civic Hybrid the Prius is my overwhelming favorite. Even on very long trips low 50's is not uncommon and the comfort exceeds that of bigger cars. Hooray for Toyota on this one. This car represents to me the epitome of design and engineering. I am a complainer about cars and enjoy griping about this and that. I can't do that with the Prius.

Comfort; ease of driving, parking; ease of intuitive controls; wonderful features like JBL, nav., bluetooth and the back-up camera. I love the car.

Do away with the reverse beep. It's most annoying. I can't think of anything else.

Toyota, go to the next step
By jakiefnh

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

There is no reason why this car cannot achieve 100+ mpg. Both the batteries and electric motors are underpowered. I would prefer that this be a plug-in electric car with a high-end on-board electric generator. That said, I achieve 40-45 mpg in the winter and 50- 55 mpg in the summer. I do not understand why the electric motor cannot power the car from a dead start without the gas-powered engine having to kick in.

GPS, camera for backing up, cruise control, CD changer, bluetooth, on- screen feedback about fuel economy

Best car ever owned
By iNip

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I use my Prius as a work delivery vehicle. I average 150 miles a day and 52 mpg. When using the pulse and glide method I can exceed 55 mpg.

I like how quiet it is, the hatchback, when rear seats folded down has a ton of room. I can carry a lot of stuff

Would like to see stronger shocks in rear for my heavy loads