Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )

Shapes of things to come
By MTPockets

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After owning the Prius for two years and 27,000 miles, it has been entirely problem free. I average mid 40 MPG driving mostly in heavy rush hour traffic. It is quiet, comfortable and roomy (for a smaller car). I have hauled lumber (you can close the hatch with 8' lumber over the console). It is extremely roomy and the seats fold flat for volume hauling. I love this car for being practical and economical. I hope the new body style is less quirky and has 17" or 18" lower profile tires. I will trade in my 2006 if Toyota does this. I would like to see an "el Camino" body style option - I would seriously consider buying one.

Economy, roominess, build quality & materials, practicalness

Nix the interior back-up beeper. Allow the windows to operate without the car in run mode. Make the design less quirky and relocate the spoiler from blocking the rear view. Replace the 15" high profile tires with all season low profile 17" tires. Get rid of the plastic hub rings from the wheels.

Won't be able to drive a nonhybrid again
By Aaron

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Lots of options. Easy to drive. Feels very safe for a smaller car. Very low maintenance. Yes it run on 87 oct. Feels good to be stuck in traffic and not have to worry about the engine or A/C running. Everyone want to drive/ride in it.

Handsfree bluetooth. Hatch room. Awesome headlights. Lots of compartments and room.

Seats and arms rests need more cushion. Mud flaps and a sunroof would be nice.

It Does What It's Supposed to Do
By Psychprofessor

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

On the fun-to-drive meter, the Prius ranks pretty low. However, when it comes to practicality, gas mileage, and reliability, it's a definite 10! One thing I really like is that after we had had it about a year, the highway gas mileage improved significantly. Now, we regularly get 50+ mpg on trips. On a recent trip to Nashville, a total of 703 miles roundtrip, we averaged 52.3 mpg. Also, that's driving at the speed limit whenever possible. I also appreciate the fact that in more than a year and a half of hard use, there are still no rattles and no problems at all.

Great mileage, usable interior space, comfortable seats. Did I say great gas mileage? Keyless entry is nice, also.

More upscale features for the price. We paid nearly 30K for our car with navigation, leather, the works. It would be nice if the car had power seats.

An excellent ride
By Tim

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Haven't had our 3rd Prius a full year yet, so I'm not really sure how many miles I'll drive it / year. (My wife has one, and we had a 2001 1st gen. model.) Excellent gas mileage (this tank: 55), although is lower in winter (low-mid 40s). I always marvel at the tight turning radius. The backup camera makes parking so much more easy. Plenty of room - 5 adults PLUS a good amount of cargo room in the hatchback area. Once, I-66 was stopped. I get in the HOV lane, floor it, drop 0.1MPG, get to 60 in about 10sec. I've gotten it to 85 before I realized how fast I was going - gotta watch it, the Prius is too smooth. Most fillups are about 7.5gal. Not bad at all.

MPG, backup camera, tight turning radius; I'm hooked!

Backup camera only works when in reverse. Make it so it can be turned on whenever.

The greatest
By all one needs

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I rate the car an easy 9.4 and should be higher. The Prius is a perfect urban car. Easy to park; very much fun to drive; very comfortable regardless of the weather; and high 40's mpgs. The quirky styling only adds to allure of this well-designed , well-engineered car from Toyota. This is my 2nd Prius and though I tried the Camry Hybrid and the Honda Civic Hybrid the Prius is my overwhelming favorite. Even on very long trips low 50's is not uncommon and the comfort exceeds that of bigger cars. Hooray for Toyota on this one. This car represents to me the epitome of design and engineering. I am a complainer about cars and enjoy griping about this and that. I can't do that with the Prius.

Comfort; ease of driving, parking; ease of intuitive controls; wonderful features like JBL, nav., bluetooth and the back-up camera. I love the car.

Do away with the reverse beep. It's most annoying. I can't think of anything else.