Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )

Prius Gets Around
By Chopperman

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My bottom line - I'll trade my Prius on a new Prius when I'm ready for a new car. Much improved generation technology; drastic difference from earliest models. Handling and ride improve noticeably with premium tires. Great cornering abilities. Mileage and performance are very sensitive to air filter cleanliness. Excellent mileage at sea level and on flat terrain (VA Beach ~65 MPG/~61MPG along Lake Erie). No more loss of power on mountain drives (Sideling Hill, MD). Great in snow and on ice. Looks are OK, if you're into pregnant roller skates but very few of us buy it for the looks. So far, no repairs just oil and filter changes. I bought a 100,000 extended warranty with the car, not needed.

Favorite Features

Back up camera, audio jack, cruise control, mileage, storage space/hatch back, leg room, tire pressure sensor, conversations at the fuel pump

Suggested Improvements

Traction control frequently engages to the detriment of pulling into traffic. NEEDS to have a manual on/off switch for this feature. Winter mileage needs improvement - drops ~25% with cold weather/winter gas blends. Could definitely stand a premium sound system. OEM tires are atrocious.

Great Car
By chuck37

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was concerned about the small size and comfort when I bought my Prius. I was surprised to find it is neither small or uncomfortable. It is listed as mid-sized. My 6'6" 270lb son is comfortable in the back seat. The driver's seat will not move back far enough for his comfort, but he can drive it. We did not change our driving habits to accommodate mileage, but average 49.3 mpg. This has been for the last 8000 mi. I have only one complaint, at freeway speeds there is much air and road noise. I am very pleased with the comfort and performance. I eagerly await the plug-in model. I will get one at my first opportunity.

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort, gas mileage, performance, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound-proofing, a GPS that is more intuitive, plug-in.

Dead in Seven Days
By R. Hauch

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We drive this car around town mostly and average about 45 MPG. Several times a year we drive from Florida to Michigan and back. The last trip our mileage average was 48.8. When the car sets for seven days or more, without being started, the battery goes dead. Local dealer and Toyota advises this is normal. Their "fix" for this problem is having you disconnect the negative battery cable and then reconnecting it when you want to start the car. The battery is located beneath the floor in the cargo area.

Favorite Features

The excellent fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Improve battery capacity to support the various electrical drains or install a switch to disconnect the battery for long term parking.

Headlight problem
By Liz

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Most of these reviews are given after a day or week of owning! I've had the '06 Prius for 2 years and 40,000 miles. New problem: at about 37,000 miles, the headlights started going off, one or the other, sometimes both at once. Fixed temporarily by turning lights off and back on. Mechanic can't find anything wrong with it. Toyota should do a recall and fix this. Gas mileage is greatly affected by the quality of the gas you buy, and how you drive! Watch the info display, and buy higher octane, and no gasohol!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great gas mileage if you learn how to drive it. Watch the info display and your realtime gas consumption to learn how to maximize your fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the headlight problem, better lumbar support in front seats, especially driver's seat.

Fantastic Car in today's economy
By Scott

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had this car since 2/08, and it's quickly become the car most driven in our family. True MPG of 47-48 mph. Note -- Mileage poor for first 5 minutes of driving, while engine charges battery, and fluids are heated. After that, mileage superlative. For 30 minute work commutes, it is unbeatable. I have gotten over 50 mpg for a tankful before, and never below 46 mpg. Pickup is not great, but is adequate. Comfort level is outstanding; radio sound quality superb; seating very comfortable; easily fits 4 adults. This is an outstanding vehicle.

Favorite Features

GPS, music sound quality, headlights, Info display panel and most importantly unequaled 47-48 real MPG!!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the irritating backup "beeper"; Configure driver's seat to allow it to slide back further for taller drivers;