2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
Just Bought Another Prius
By Jimmy on 09/13/07 11:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have 43,000 on 2006 Prius, will pick up my 2008 Touring Prius tomorrow. Car exceeded every expectation, to include overall engineering (to include human engineeering). I believe the Prius is the most misunderstood vehicle on the road and everyone that ride in this car leaves with an outstanding impression.

Prius: best car I've ever owned
By L.J. on 09/11/07 18:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Greatest technology you will find in a car. I love the smart key, Bluetooth, sound system and hybrid technology. I am looking into buying another.

Prius
By jm49 on 07/21/07 06:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very happy with car. Great gas mileage driving into Philadephia every day. Great acceleration onto very poor visibility and short access ramps of Schulkyll Expressway. No mechanical problems. After driving Ford Taurus for years, had to get accustomed to small size and not being able to see front hood.

Prius - one year
By RMartin on 07/05/07 12:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love the Prius. It has more comfort for 4 people than our former Oldsmobile Intrigue. Overall well designed. Disappointing is the mileage in the winter. A typical 30 mile trip is about 46 mpg dropping a little in the winter when the heater needs to be on. Less than quoted. MPG goes up to about 50 on a 120 mile trip to Seattle on the freeway. The mileage goes up in stop and go traffic. The concept is great and if the batteries had more capacity one could draw more from them and mileage would improve greatly. The plug and drive would be immense help for us who typically drive 30 miles per day. Lobby for plug and drive!!

Love the Prius
By Resoh02 on 07/02/07 15:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am averaging 52 mph overall. Fuel economy depends on driving habits. Rapid starts, driving over speed limit, cruise control on in hills all contribute to poor mileage. Keep an eye on the usage charts and you can improve mileage. I would buy another in a minute. I am awaiting the new and better Prius.

An engineering marvel
By Victor on 06/05/07 09:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Toyota clearly began with a clean sheet - asking what could they do to minimize emissions but sell to a large market. Once they had gone hybrid they looked at what the presence of a large available source of electricity could mean. Very responsive electric power steering. Electric A/C - no serpentine belt to put a constant drag on the engine. Electric water pump. Electric fan. You get the idea.

2006 Toyota Prius
By NOTSORICH on 05/25/07 08:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Prius. I have had it going on a year, and thoroughly enjoy the comfort, and mileage. I am 6'3" and enjoy the inside room, as does my tall wife. I get 43 to 44 miles to a gallon, which is lower than EPA estimates, but so is ALL others - people would go crazy if they knew the actual mileage of their big hogs and "SUV buses"! I have done nothing to the car except change the oil and rotate the tires. With the smart key, I never take the key out of my pocket, all doors and the hatch can unlock and lock automatically. Displays are perfect, sound system is excellent, back seat is roomy, plenty of room for luggage for two. P.S. I do not own Toyota stock, but wish I did!

Great but needs some bugs taken out
By larser on 05/24/07 16:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First of all, the mileage is great. I don't know if I'll ever break even but time will tell. Happiness is only buying 9 gallons of gas at the pump so by that perspective, I'm a happy camper.

Fantastic Car!
By haney on 05/21/07 12:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

All I can say it this is a fantastic car. I would highly recommend to any person. Of course, the biggest benefit is gas conservation (truly averages around 48 mpg). It also has great pick up and go (something you wouldn't expect from a small 4 cylinder car), and is very comfortable to drive - and even the back seat is very roomy.

Great Mileage - But Uncomfortable
By E S on 05/08/07 08:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love this car from a standpoint of the mileage, great GPS display, etc. BUT, after driving in this car for more than an hour - both my wife and I get so uncomfortable it is painful! The seats are very, very uncomfortable.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.