2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
Toyota, go to the next step
By jakiefnh on 05/20/08 13:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

There is no reason why this car cannot achieve 100+ mpg. Both the batteries and electric motors are underpowered. I would prefer that this be a plug-in electric car with a high-end on-board electric generator. That said, I achieve 40-45 mpg in the winter and 50- 55 mpg in the summer. I do not understand why the electric motor cannot power the car from a dead start without the gas-powered engine having to kick in.

Best car ever owned
By iNip on 05/19/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I use my Prius as a work delivery vehicle. I average 150 miles a day and 52 mpg. When using the pulse and glide method I can exceed 55 mpg.

Love it!
By pretty in a prius on 05/17/08 19:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I LOVE my Prius. Previously drove an Audi, so was used to a bigger car. I get an average of 46 mpg, driving 100 miles per day, highway and city. I love the roominess and how the car handles! I would buy another in a heartbeat!

It's like driving a computer!!
By Karen on 05/03/08 07:15 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased this car in Aug. of 2006 and have had no problems with it so far. We love the car and it is roomy enough for 2 adults and 2 carseats. My husband wanted a truck, but I talked him into something better on fuel and he now LOVES to drive this car. It has been well worth the money. And he says that it is just like driving a computer because of all the gadgets and buttons inside.

Convinced!
By satisfied on 05/01/08 15:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Drive a lot and couldn't be happier with the mileage. Lots of space, headroom, love the bluetooth. Traded my sports car for the Prius and thought I was compromising the power but was happily surprised. Love the car and will buy another. We use the car for all our driving whenever possible.

What a Car
By resoh02 on 04/25/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 2006 with 27000 miles avg between 46 to 50 mpg. Absolutely think this is the best car on the road dollar for dollar. I can't believe the car, ride, room, and mileage.

I love my prius
By mdrobins on 04/21/08 08:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. I love the MPG monitor, it allows you to re-train yourself into better driving habits. If you dont speed, accelerate easily, stop slowly and less often you can get up to 52 MPG. I can go over 430 miles on one tank. If you do this, it is worth the price tag.

Love my Prius!
By Sue L. on 02/12/08 11:15 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Less than 2 years old, and I'm replacing a headlight bulb... for $311 plus labor! Ouch! So much for having an inexpensive "green" car! Come on Toyota!!

30,000 Update
By okedoke on 09/23/07 07:06 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just hit 30K. Car running strong, developed rattle in front dash, fixed by dealer. Had Toyota service per manual, plus alignment, replaced OEM tires with Fuzion HRIs. These tires make a big difference in handling, the car now 'sticks' like never before. As of this writing, the best car I have ever owned. Avg MPG in summer 48-50, avg fall through spring 42-44. Change oil @ 10K intervals, use Mobil Full syn 15K rated oil. Oil is still pretty clean at 10K, and still shows 100% full on the dipstick as it did when filled at the last change. Engine seems nice and tight after 30K. If they keep building them this way, I'll be getting another when time is due. Solid car!!

Trust Us to Use the Navigation System!
By lamban on 09/14/07 06:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My husband and I love the Prius we have. The only issue (and it is completely unacceptable) is that Toyota does not trust the driver (or the passenger) to use the navigation system safely while the car is moving. Either restore the 2005 and previous override or only disable the nav system if no one is in the passenger seat. If we had known what limited functionality the navigation system provides while you are actually enroute, we would not have bought it!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.