Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 250 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (250 reviews )

Good car... Honest review
By Gopi

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought a pre-owned 2006 prius with 45K miles on it. Love the car and the features. Drives well and getting 48MPG. Still getting used to the nuances of the car and various noises it's making. Few things to note: 1. I am hearing a noise under the steering wheel when braking/accelerating during city driving. Dealer says its normal. However its annoying me. 2. While discussing the noise issue, dealer found out water pump was leaking. I was surprised it is leaking so soon. Luckily it's covered under power train warranty. Will add more as I drive more.

Fuel efficiency, 8 spkr audio system, Bluetooth, Cargo space

make power seats standard, get rid of the hump (arm rest) in the back seat so that five people can sit.

Headlights
By Dee

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have read some of the reviews about the headlights. We experienced a problem with our the battery going dead. We also had problems with both headlights. We were out of warranty but the guys at the dealership told us there had been some bad headlights that were put in some models. They replaced the headlights at no cost to us because there was a known problems and the car is working fine.

Good car, but not perfect
By Ross Purdy

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Currently we have 63,000 miles so we have considerable experience. Reliability has been superb. Things to fix: 1. Original tires are awful. Why not give us a good set? 2. Seats lack lumbar support. I had to find some special pads to drive more than 100 miles. 3. Allow the front seat to move farther back. I'm only 6' tall and I'm crowded into the wheel. 4. Move the shift lever so it doesn't bang my knee. 5. Fix the gas tank so it doesn't belch gas all over my feet. (I've learned to gas up standing well to the side.) 6. Improve the headlights. The lights on my Toyota pickup are infinitely better. 7. Allow more movement of the adjustable steering wheel. That's a start.

The rear space is great as is the proximity key. I even like the backup camera. And, of course, the mileage is wonderful.

I love it
By Bob Hardy

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in a Town Car to purchase the Prius, and haven't missed it at all. With a total of 26650 miles I have had no problems. Averaging slightly over 45 MPG for the entire 26M miles. It has a very functional design with lots of room for 6 footers. I have taken a couple of trips of around 1300 miles each. The car was comfortable during the trip and I had no problem maintaining inter-state speeds even in the mountains while the car was fully loaded. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for good, reliable and economical transportation. This is the first time I have recommended a car, and I wouldn't do it if I wasn't sold on it.

Back-up Camera, Navigation System, Blue Tooth Phone, Double Glove Compartment, Comfortable Ride with good back support. Excellent Headlights, Hidden Compartment in Hatch-back, Design of dash panel - easy to view without taking eyes off of the road.

Design of car is great, but I'm always looking for improved gas mileage.

What a Great Car
By Katherine

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my car new in 2005. I am six feet tall and the car is very comfortable front and back. I get between 46 and 52 MPG. I watch the consumption level which changed my driving habits. No jackrabbit starts and I drive a with my cruise control a lot. We have mountainous uphills and I've never had trouble passing on them - lots of get up and go! Have had no problems with it. You can stuff a lot of stuff into this car. I have always owned Toyotas and this is my favorite.

Backup camera, great mileage, better for the environment.

Ditch the backup beeper. Allow the power windows to open without being in "Run" mode.