2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
Prius Gets Around
By Chopperman on 01/27/09 16:50 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My bottom line - I'll trade my Prius on a new Prius when I'm ready for a new car. Much improved generation technology; drastic difference from earliest models. Handling and ride improve noticeably with premium tires. Great cornering abilities. Mileage and performance are very sensitive to air filter cleanliness. Excellent mileage at sea level and on flat terrain (VA Beach ~65 MPG/~61MPG along Lake Erie). No more loss of power on mountain drives (Sideling Hill, MD). Great in snow and on ice. Looks are OK, if you're into pregnant roller skates but very few of us buy it for the looks. So far, no repairs just oil and filter changes. I bought a 100,000 extended warranty with the car, not needed.

Great Car
By chuck37 on 11/13/08 10:34 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was concerned about the small size and comfort when I bought my Prius. I was surprised to find it is neither small or uncomfortable. It is listed as mid-sized. My 6'6" 270lb son is comfortable in the back seat. The driver's seat will not move back far enough for his comfort, but he can drive it. We did not change our driving habits to accommodate mileage, but average 49.3 mpg. This has been for the last 8000 mi. I have only one complaint, at freeway speeds there is much air and road noise. I am very pleased with the comfort and performance. I eagerly await the plug-in model. I will get one at my first opportunity.

Dead in Seven Days
By R. Hauch on 09/26/08 13:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We drive this car around town mostly and average about 45 MPG. Several times a year we drive from Florida to Michigan and back. The last trip our mileage average was 48.8. When the car sets for seven days or more, without being started, the battery goes dead. Local dealer and Toyota advises this is normal. Their "fix" for this problem is having you disconnect the negative battery cable and then reconnecting it when you want to start the car. The battery is located beneath the floor in the cargo area.

Headlight problem
By Liz on 09/23/08 06:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Most of these reviews are given after a day or week of owning! I've had the '06 Prius for 2 years and 40,000 miles. New problem: at about 37,000 miles, the headlights started going off, one or the other, sometimes both at once. Fixed temporarily by turning lights off and back on. Mechanic can't find anything wrong with it. Toyota should do a recall and fix this. Gas mileage is greatly affected by the quality of the gas you buy, and how you drive! Watch the info display, and buy higher octane, and no gasohol!

Fantastic Car in today's economy
By Scott on 09/18/08 06:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had this car since 2/08, and it's quickly become the car most driven in our family. True MPG of 47-48 mph. Note -- Mileage poor for first 5 minutes of driving, while engine charges battery, and fluids are heated. After that, mileage superlative. For 30 minute work commutes, it is unbeatable. I have gotten over 50 mpg for a tankful before, and never below 46 mpg. Pickup is not great, but is adequate. Comfort level is outstanding; radio sound quality superb; seating very comfortable; easily fits 4 adults. This is an outstanding vehicle.

Shapes of things to come
By MTPockets on 08/07/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After owning the Prius for two years and 27,000 miles, it has been entirely problem free. I average mid 40 MPG driving mostly in heavy rush hour traffic. It is quiet, comfortable and roomy (for a smaller car). I have hauled lumber (you can close the hatch with 8' lumber over the console). It is extremely roomy and the seats fold flat for volume hauling. I love this car for being practical and economical. I hope the new body style is less quirky and has 17" or 18" lower profile tires. I will trade in my 2006 if Toyota does this. I would like to see an "el Camino" body style option - I would seriously consider buying one.

Won't be able to drive a nonhybrid again
By Aaron on 07/24/08 07:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Lots of options. Easy to drive. Feels very safe for a smaller car. Very low maintenance. Yes it run on 87 oct. Feels good to be stuck in traffic and not have to worry about the engine or A/C running. Everyone want to drive/ride in it.

It Does What It's Supposed to Do
By Psychprofessor on 06/20/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

On the fun-to-drive meter, the Prius ranks pretty low. However, when it comes to practicality, gas mileage, and reliability, it's a definite 10! One thing I really like is that after we had had it about a year, the highway gas mileage improved significantly. Now, we regularly get 50+ mpg on trips. On a recent trip to Nashville, a total of 703 miles roundtrip, we averaged 52.3 mpg. Also, that's driving at the speed limit whenever possible. I also appreciate the fact that in more than a year and a half of hard use, there are still no rattles and no problems at all.

An excellent ride
By Tim on 06/04/08 07:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Haven't had our 3rd Prius a full year yet, so I'm not really sure how many miles I'll drive it / year. (My wife has one, and we had a 2001 1st gen. model.) Excellent gas mileage (this tank: 55), although is lower in winter (low-mid 40s). I always marvel at the tight turning radius. The backup camera makes parking so much more easy. Plenty of room - 5 adults PLUS a good amount of cargo room in the hatchback area. Once, I-66 was stopped. I get in the HOV lane, floor it, drop 0.1MPG, get to 60 in about 10sec. I've gotten it to 85 before I realized how fast I was going - gotta watch it, the Prius is too smooth. Most fillups are about 7.5gal. Not bad at all.

The greatest
By all one needs on 05/31/08 10:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I rate the car an easy 9.4 and should be higher. The Prius is a perfect urban car. Easy to park; very much fun to drive; very comfortable regardless of the weather; and high 40's mpgs. The quirky styling only adds to allure of this well-designed , well-engineered car from Toyota. This is my 2nd Prius and though I tried the Camry Hybrid and the Honda Civic Hybrid the Prius is my overwhelming favorite. Even on very long trips low 50's is not uncommon and the comfort exceeds that of bigger cars. Hooray for Toyota on this one. This car represents to me the epitome of design and engineering. I am a complainer about cars and enjoy griping about this and that. I can't do that with the Prius.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.