Used 2006 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (250 reviews )

Wish there were some 11s
By Smugly

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car 1/16/06 and finally experienced our first problem - right rear tailight bulb burned out (that's what I thought until I jiggled the bulb and it came back on) 61K miles and still have not had to even change the brake pads! Very roomy and comfortable. Surprize - it will do 106 mph (I personally attest)! OK, it's not a sporty car - but it is fun to drive on the back roads here in NH. We have pushed the MPG reset button only once - at 36K miles - the first 36k our average mpg was 44.7 and since it has averaged a little lower at 43.9. Cold weather and 4 wheel snowtires (a must where there are snowy roads) decrease mpg considerably. Getting ready to buy a 2010 - psyched!

The Smart Key is so smart - it knows what door you're standing next to or if the key is in or out of the car. Great NAV unit. Backup camera. Lots of cargo room. Gobs of headroom. Great sound system. No need to drive like you're towing a trailer full of chandeliers to get 44 mpg.

Shorten the Voice Commands in NAV. Allow Audio screen to stay up if that's what you want - reverts to trip computer after several seconds.

Incredibly functional, not comfortable
By JohnMcdougal

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

To be fair, I should note that this car belongs to my parents. However, on trips back to California, I have driven their Prius thousands of miles. While its functionality, basic competence, and incredible fuel economy are indisputable, we all find the seats relatively uncomfortable. They are small and stiff, with virtually no lumbar support. Even as manual seats, they should have more adjustments. And even though the driving position is fine in terms of front view, I find the steering wheel placement uncomfortable. Beyond that, the ride is too stiff and jittery over rough pavement and too loose and wallow-y on curvy roads. If comfort and performance are high on your list, not the car 4u

great fuel economy, reliability, very functional design with lots of room for hauling for a car of this size.

Too noisy, needs an adaptive system for bad pavement, terrible acceleration for highway on-ramps, two of the speakers on premium JBL sound system have blown, difficult to use GPS system/Bluetooth, feels insecure, especially on broken pavement at highway speeds.

2006 Prius
By Bruce

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have owned our 2006 Prius for 3 years and have clocked 79,000+ miles to date. We also own a volvo xc70. The volvo may be more stylish but the Prius is really fun to drive and it has been totally reliable. We have taken long trips to NYC and Michigan and have done lots of in city driving. We were concerned about the life of the battery but read in a British Columbia Climate Exchange report that Prius taxis in BC have gone more than 200000 miles without a battery replacement.

Reliability. Fun to drive. Gas mileage! More interior space than we expected.

Even better mileage.

Why wouldn't you?
By Simon Palmer

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With a large tax credit to offset the "hybrid premium" it was an easy decision to try the Prius. I was looking for a hatchback as these have the versatility that a one-car household needs without the punishing costs of a SUV. There were surprisingly few hatchback choices in 2006 and this one has turned out to be a winner. Fuel economy to date (45,000 miles) 58.9 MPG; reliability 100%; servicing costs average; fun factor 5 for a normal person, 8 for a geek. Interestingly, I got stranded one night by floods and slept in the car until morning; the ICE kicked on and off occasionally to recharge the battery and keep the A/C running. This car is now my personal hurricane evacuation plan!!

Fuel economy; quietness of interior; versatility of the hatchback; "stealth mode".

Interior trim fabrics need to be harder-wearing; sunshade for MFD; OEM tires are rubbish.

Impressed
By Satori

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I do my part any way I can to help the environment, including converting to a Vegan lifestyle in order to reduce toxic emissions from meat processing. The obvious way I could do more was to get rid of my two Infiniti gas hogs, which I did. Coming from luxury vehicles with every amenity to my Prius was very easy, like a breath of fresh air. The only things anyone could miss would be power seats, lumbar support, a sunroof and more sound deadening. However, all of these add considerable weight, therefore reducing mileage. I feel as if I have lost no features from my luxo-barges, and gained a clearer conscience. I really love that I am not assumed to be pretentious, or image-conscience anymore.

Surprising power with full battery, HID headlights, Smart key (better than Infiniti), Bluetooth, Back-up camera, Navi, Voice control, Great a/c even with engine off in 105 degree weather, More cargo space than my FX35 had, huge rear seat, storage galore. Most bugs flow over and not into the car.

Front seats really do need to be able to have more aft travel, lumbar support would be great as well as headrests that move fore and aft. Tired of Bambi, birds and butterflies following the car and sunflowers popping up in my exhaust wake.

• SUV