Used 2006 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )

2006 Prius
By Bruce

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have owned our 2006 Prius for 3 years and have clocked 79,000+ miles to date. We also own a volvo xc70. The volvo may be more stylish but the Prius is really fun to drive and it has been totally reliable. We have taken long trips to NYC and Michigan and have done lots of in city driving. We were concerned about the life of the battery but read in a British Columbia Climate Exchange report that Prius taxis in BC have gone more than 200000 miles without a battery replacement.

Reliability. Fun to drive. Gas mileage! More interior space than we expected.

Even better mileage.

Why wouldn't you?
By Simon Palmer

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With a large tax credit to offset the "hybrid premium" it was an easy decision to try the Prius. I was looking for a hatchback as these have the versatility that a one-car household needs without the punishing costs of a SUV. There were surprisingly few hatchback choices in 2006 and this one has turned out to be a winner. Fuel economy to date (45,000 miles) 58.9 MPG; reliability 100%; servicing costs average; fun factor 5 for a normal person, 8 for a geek. Interestingly, I got stranded one night by floods and slept in the car until morning; the ICE kicked on and off occasionally to recharge the battery and keep the A/C running. This car is now my personal hurricane evacuation plan!!

Fuel economy; quietness of interior; versatility of the hatchback; "stealth mode".

Interior trim fabrics need to be harder-wearing; sunshade for MFD; OEM tires are rubbish.

Impressed
By Satori

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I do my part any way I can to help the environment, including converting to a Vegan lifestyle in order to reduce toxic emissions from meat processing. The obvious way I could do more was to get rid of my two Infiniti gas hogs, which I did. Coming from luxury vehicles with every amenity to my Prius was very easy, like a breath of fresh air. The only things anyone could miss would be power seats, lumbar support, a sunroof and more sound deadening. However, all of these add considerable weight, therefore reducing mileage. I feel as if I have lost no features from my luxo-barges, and gained a clearer conscience. I really love that I am not assumed to be pretentious, or image-conscience anymore.

Surprising power with full battery, HID headlights, Smart key (better than Infiniti), Bluetooth, Back-up camera, Navi, Voice control, Great a/c even with engine off in 105 degree weather, More cargo space than my FX35 had, huge rear seat, storage galore. Most bugs flow over and not into the car.

Front seats really do need to be able to have more aft travel, lumbar support would be great as well as headrests that move fore and aft. Tired of Bambi, birds and butterflies following the car and sunflowers popping up in my exhaust wake.

Good car... Honest review
By Gopi

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought a pre-owned 2006 prius with 45K miles on it. Love the car and the features. Drives well and getting 48MPG. Still getting used to the nuances of the car and various noises it's making. Few things to note: 1. I am hearing a noise under the steering wheel when braking/accelerating during city driving. Dealer says its normal. However its annoying me. 2. While discussing the noise issue, dealer found out water pump was leaking. I was surprised it is leaking so soon. Luckily it's covered under power train warranty. Will add more as I drive more.

Fuel efficiency, 8 spkr audio system, Bluetooth, Cargo space

make power seats standard, get rid of the hump (arm rest) in the back seat so that five people can sit.

Headlights
By Dee

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have read some of the reviews about the headlights. We experienced a problem with our the battery going dead. We also had problems with both headlights. We were out of warranty but the guys at the dealership told us there had been some bad headlights that were put in some models. They replaced the headlights at no cost to us because there was a known problems and the car is working fine.