2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
Great so far
By RB on 01/13/06 15:01 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Prior car was a mid-size SUV. Absolutely no problem with the difference in size.The Prius has plenty of pep, is comfortable and handles extremely well.Do not feel that I am in a small car. I do mostly "city" driving and have been getting 40 plus mpg! Looking out the back window takes some time to get accustomed to.

Go figure, it figures.
By PulseNGlide on 01/04/06 18:16 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well, it's all true...great room, great comfort, and yes... great mileage. Roomy inside, with side airbags for safety. The hybrid system has performed flawlessly. I have been averaging about 52 MPG thus far. I will be using the new, tried and true, Pulse and Glide technique used by other Prius customers to get very high MPG in the city. The 06 has a revised dash, headlights and taillights, as well as better seats. I did not wait one day to own this car. The tax credit, and free HOV lane use, are just icing on the cake for this San Diego, CA owner.

2006 Prius
By r.n.brown on 01/04/06 14:19 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a 2006 Toyota Prius. I am very impressed so far. I am getting over 50 MPG in combined highway and city driving. The car has enough power to get up to speed quickly. It's lots of fun to watch the energy use display and to try to optimize fuel consumption. So far this car has exceeded my expectations.

It's great but....
By driveone on 01/03/06 19:27 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Of course the mileage is not the 60mph advertised- more like 42mph. The rear window is very difficult to see out of- must always use side mirrors. And the phone charger is so far from the driver's side I can't use the phone and charge it at the same time. Otherwise, it's all it's cracked up to be...

The Little Red hybrid that could
By CE on 12/24/05 01:20 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Quite responsive. Enjoyed the smooth take off with the absence of shifting quite noticable. Plenty of snap for passing, especially considering only a 1.5 liter. Breaking and cornering very nice... smooth. At first thought the small steering wheel felt strange but now enjoy the extra room it facilitates along with ease of control.

Don't know how they did it
By Lee Mariano on 12/22/05 15:31 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wish I knew how they got 60mpg. We drove from South Florida to central New Hampshire and back up and down the Smoky Mountains, on freeways, small towns, fully loaded (by the way this car holds tons of stuff) in cool-cold weather, in high heat, with and w/o a/c during the gas shortage. travelled 3100 mi---paid $210 for gas the entire month we were gone! Still, mph for the month was 44.6 We use cruise control as much as possible, everything we can think of--still cant get to the 60 they claim. Great comfort, great bells and whistles. Love the car.

Great Car!
By Tommy on 12/12/05 13:49 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you want the most bang for your buck, this is the car I would recommend. I purchased the car with the cheapest package (base Model) and it comes with great features. Nothing to complain. I average about 45 MPG and be able to drive about 450 miles per tank. Great for commuting. Being able to use the steering wheel to control the A/C and radio is a uge bonus. There are only 2 things that I do not like. One is the power, a little harsh on steep hills and the other will be the stereo. The speakers aren't that very good on the base model. Well those are just my small complaints. I hope all of you enjoy the car as much as I do. Be careful in parking lots since pedestrians cannot hear you

Love it.
By osol4now on 12/01/05 15:19 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love it. Drives like a champ. Great gas mileage. I was a little skeptical of hybrids, but I love this car. More room than I thought.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.