2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
Most quiet car I've ever owned
By Love_My_Prius on 02/15/06 15:55 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius is a well thought out vehicle. I'm on my second take in 6 weeks. First two tanks averaged 43.5 MPG. This is low due to the fact that I make very short 1-2 mile trips and it's cold in Ohio. Summer should bring the mileage up in the 50's. The car rides very nice and is extremely quiet. It truely is a techie car with the on-board display screen and optional navigation. I'm thrilled with my purchase and would recommend the car to anyone!

Outstanding Daily Driver
By Marty B on 02/13/06 20:31 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was surprised at how comfortable and fun to drive this beauty is. The acceleration was also very unexpected. It is not a race car, but a fantastic commuter/everyday driver. I drive over 700 miles per week, lots in traffic and this car fills the need - comfort, quality, reliability, and gas mileage. Yes, you pay more for a Hybrid, but HOV lane driving and gas mileage make up for it in my driving pattern (plus low emissions). I have averaged in the 40s for mpg with a new car in the cold of the northeast. I am looking forward to the warm weather to see how high the mileage can go, probably in the low 50 range. All the technology is just icing on a fantastically designed and made vehicle.

Why Not 60 MPG?
By Spindoc on 02/09/06 03:01 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love our Prius and am in the process of purchasing a second! Many comments here about not getting the 60 MPG; of course, EPA ratings are a bit optimistic, but the reason Prius CITY mileage is better than HIGHWAY mileage is that the gas consumption goes to ZERO when you are stopped in traffic or at a light. Averaging in those zeros makes for great mileage overall! It is no slouch on the highway and I get nearly 50 mpg at 70 mph (high 40s, anyway). Makes you feel sorry for those SUV drivers out there!

My Blue Prius
By whisperlee on 02/07/06 21:51 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was so impressed with the car the very first time I test drove it that I got one for myself 6 months later. Great interior room, great mileage, smooth ride... very satisfied. Even the exterior design grew on me over time. Lots of storage, and the leather seats just made the car even better!

Interesting Auto
By bh on 01/29/06 08:09 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased one weeks ago, option pkg 5, 2 mi on odo when bought. Live in MA - mileage running between 42-45 mixed backroad/highway (highway @ avg of 68mph). Rear camera helps, but limited at night in low light, and will still need mirrors. Rear seating comfort ok for short trips (2 hours) - front seats more comfortable, but also concerned re: comfort on long trips - don't think they will be good. Interior build seems tight, very quiet ride. Tracks well on roads at both about town, and highway. Easy to park. JBL sound system has nice sound. Keyless system is a nice feature. Came from a Maxima - miss the pickup and comfort features, but love the MPG's.

What I think of my Prius
By Robert Blee on 01/29/06 00:45 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am a little disappointed that the mileage is not quite as expected, 46 mpg, but it's not so bad, and the car is beautiful inside and out (I got the leather seats). The navigation system is easy to use, although the car prevents me from using it while driving. Also, the air bag alarm goes off if I place my briefcase on the passenger seat, it thinks I put a small child there without a seatbelt, I guess. Another anoyance is the open door light, it doesn't tell you which door. Even my old 1977 Honda accord did that! But, the backup video is useful, keeps me from running over my cats, and, overall, in spite of the annoyances, I am very happy with the car.

2006 Prius
By Chris K on 01/26/06 11:59 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very happy with our Prius. The mileage is not eactly 60 miles per gallon, but have been getting 50-52 regularly. I hear people complain about this sometimes, but seems rather nit-picky. I'm sure if you told me last year that I could get 50 miles per gallon, I would have been estactic.

My Second Prius
By CJDavis on 01/26/06 08:19 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2005 Prius was lost in Hurricane Katrina. I had to have a 2006. Current mileage, est. 800. For my 9 or 8 ratings, I will explain. Comfort - I feel the driver's seat could be a little bigger. Fuel economy, I am on my 3rd tank of gas and average for first 2 tanks was 48.2 mpg. My 2005 got 50 or better. Fun to drive? yes, but I am not an expressway lover so I stick to the back roads. However, it keeps up with no problem on the Interstate. Interior design, only one problem, often when I shut the car off by putting in park, my hand hits the pwr button for the radio then when I start the car for next trip, the radio blares unexpectedly. Favorite new feature? The camera display when in reverse. luvit

Great big Little Car
By Pepe on 01/16/06 10:02 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a new Prius 06, love it, I am 6ft 5in and 300 lbs fit better then the Accord, Civic, Camry or Corolla. Excellent features, fit and finish, was really surprised on the passing power. I was driving a Chevy 1500 HD with 300 hp engine so was used to power. But this vehicle did just great. Drove it back had to go up the Grapevine in CA, no problem maintained 70MPH. Just love all the technical features, i.e. rear view camera, Bluetooth, navigation system, power info.

Engineering Marvel
By Bill & Nancy on 01/15/06 12:13 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very impressive vehicle. Well made very refined. We were drawn to this vehicle because of the fuel economy and the 06 tax credit of 3150. Very peppy car lots of power. Handling very sure. Ride smooth with the characteristics of a smaller sedan, some road bumps felt. We bought the top of the line model with the GPS and leather seat and trim. Epa estimates on fuel economy are way off as they are on most vehicles. We are getting 41 mpg (only 470 total miles so far) but will improve. All told we are extremely happy with our purchase and would recommend this vehicle to anyone. Hope this review helps. Bill & Nancy

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.