Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )

The best
By Larry

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I will never buy another type or make of vehicle. I love my Prius

Favorite Features

Not having to fuel up as much, Bluetooth phone, 6 cd changer, comfort, GPS navigational system.

Suggested Improvements

Make a convertible

Best car I've ever owned
By GMF1951

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is just amazing. It has more interior room than our Merc Sable and, with its hatchback design, offers much more versatility. My son recently attended a resident soccer camp and I had no trouble hauling him plus all his stuff for a week plus a refrigerator and all the stuff to put in it. Mileage is sensitive to how you drive the car but I've been able to get 63 mpg on a tank with little effort. We got the full package included navigation which is a godsend for finding obscure soccer fields we have to get to across the state!

Favorite Features

Mileage, visibility, sit up high, technology, interior roominess, flexibility, and the great feeling you get from "doing the right thing."

Suggested Improvements

The 2006 has many of the improvements I would like to have had available in our 2005 including a more upscale interior finish (leather seats).

Fun and practical car
By RJC

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven my 2005 Prius nearly 30K miles and have little to complain about. I average 43/44 MPG on interstate highways at 80 MPH average. Best mileage per tank was 51 MPG. No complaints at my average speed and no problems for the car to handle 90+ MPH. Utility of car is a very pleasant surprise as storage space with rear seats folded down is impressive. Bluetooth doesn't work very well but NAV system is much better than on my wife's Lexus. Wind noice at high speeds is my only complaint as well as "feeling" road surfaces a bit more than larger car. I will gladly accept this tradeoff however for this great car.

Favorite Features

Ease of driving, MPG, and turning radius

Suggested Improvements

More cabin insulation and improved Bluetooth functionality.

My White Prius
By Albert

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I like the way the vehicle looks, and drives, especally the CVT. We are averaging 45 mpg with the air conditioning system on constantly, and 50 mpg with the air conditioning off.These mpg figures are for about 75% in town driving, and 25% freeway driving. My wife and I both love this car!

Favorite Features

The way it drives, looks, and good mileage

Suggested Improvements

Future models should consider an extra plug in battery so short trips around town can be mae on electric power only.

I love this car
By T Harris

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2006 Prius in July and I am so impressed with this vehicle. I have been averaging around 50 miles per gallon, which is less that what EPA estimates, but still unbelievable. It also has nice pickup and plenty of power. I traded in my SUV and have never been happier with a vehicle. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

I love the smart key system. I can leave my keys in my purse and the door just unlocks by itself. Also, being able to turn on the car without a key is pretty cool too.