2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
2006 Toyota Prius
By desertdragon on 03/02/06 08:23 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A phenomenal engineering feat available to mere mortals - that's the Prius in a nutshell. This is one of the most highly optimized vehicles I've ever driven - it combines economy, performance, convenience, and passenger comfort almost flawlessly. I just wish it had an EV mode plus an external recharge option - but it is brilliant even without those... highly recommended!!

Save on Gas - Help America
By Jimmy on 03/02/06 05:43 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just bought the car two weeks ago and so far love it. The savings at the pump was the number one reason we bought the car. The ride was very smooth. Like you were driving in a Disney monorail car. I'm a big guy and felt there was enough room for me.

Prius Delivers
By Jewel on 03/02/06 04:11 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We took ownership of our 2006 Prius in mid-January. We have package #7 with the added addition of leather seats. So far, we have been truly thrilled with our experience. The Prius is comfortable to ride-in, really fun to drive and we have honestly been averaging 54 miles to the gallon in all kinds of driving conditions (although we live in the south, so not really any truly cold weather. And we do drive somewhat differently in this car. We use cruise control ALOT, we glide a lot - meaning take feet off the brake when gliding to a red signal, for instance...and we try to accelerate slowly. The pick-up is great when needed thought.

What a gas!
By WarmGlo on 02/28/06 10:17 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought the Prius 1/16/06 and already have 2k miles. We traded an A6 2.7t manual trans for it so the transition has been interesting to say the least. Very cold weather seems to be keeping the mpg down to 43. We haven't reset the average yet and it reads 42.3. W/ pkg 7 we've been thoroughly entertained. Great NAV, Bluetooth, JBL audio. Kind of hard getting used to the front drive stability control and WATCH OUT if you have to back down an icy driveway - I've slid all the way down ours and into the road twice. The ABS doesn't work when rolling backwards. The 1st time I was taken by surprise but the 2nd I was careful and still couldn't stop it. Still though, we love it.

Popular Mechanics Meets Popular Science
By Jonathan Quick on 02/25/06 06:23 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For the most part, I have been very impressed with this vehicle. Gas mileage is 3x better than my previous vehicle, with no noticeable loss of power. For the price, the number of features and new technologies packed into this vehicle is simply astounding. The list of cool features goes on an on. Where else can you get hybrid synergy drive, CVT, regenerative braking, stability control, ABS, electric AC, steering wheel AC / radio controls, automatic climate control, SmartKey keyless entry, rear camera, tire pressure monitoring system, 9 speaker MP3 stereo, etc. for less than $25k? Everything about this car suggests efficiency, reliability, and value. Wish Toyota had a hybrid minivan!

I love my Prius
By jaws on 02/24/06 06:46 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded a 2000 Acura RL, crazy huh, for the mpg, but was concerned about handling and quality-I love to drive. The Prius offers surprisingly good handling, cornering, and acceleration. It's very peppy, and has deceivng speed "feel", so you have to keep glancing at speedometer. Quality in and out is outstanding. I'm 6 ft-180 lbs, and the driver seat is extremely comfortable and supportive, even without power adjustment. Other seating is also comfortable, with plenty or room. Cargo space is limited, but split fold-down rear seats compensate. There are several other storage areas not initially evident-and I don't mean cup holders. I'm averaging 48 mpg on 50/50 local/highway driving.

A Good Car
By bh_okedoke on 02/20/06 08:54 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a Prius, pkg 5, about a month ago. Have 1500 miles, averaging about 43 MPG mixed commuter driving of approx 45 miles a day, half back roads, half highway. Live in New England, so I’m hoping the colder temps is the reason for the lower MPG. Kind of bounces about in heavy wind. Pickup will get you up to highway speed, but it’s no barn burner. Engine very loud under very hard acceleration. Seats are so so on comfort, fronts not bad, but backs need longer bottom cushion. Many blind spots, but can overcome with proper mirror placement. Rear view camera was a great idea.

From a Tahoe to a Prius
By Mollie on 02/17/06 11:13 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Amazing car to drive. Love that I only have to fill the tank every two to three weeks.

What's not to love about the Prius?
By Synge on 02/16/06 13:56 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What's not to love about the Toyota Prius? It's a blast to drive, not in the same way a high performance sports car is, but in it's own unique way. I've found that the instant MPG readout tends to make me want to drive in ways that maximize the MPG's. This results in me driving slower and more in control than I have in years. The advertised EPA MPG ratings are not far off, if you're careful. I've been getting around 50 MPG highway and mid 40's around town. The in-town ratings are lower than advertised so far, but I live in northern Michigan which means I need to run the heat and defrosters constantly. This forces the gasoline engine to run a lot more often which leads to lower MPG's.

Car of the Century
By Mark Anthony on 02/16/06 04:22 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The interior is much roomier than my 2006 Corolla. But I'm only getting 40-45 mpg combined city and freeway driving contrary to 51-60 mpg on sticker. I tried using mostly cruise control as suggested by one of the reviewer but the lesser mileage I was getting. Better mileage if driving not more than 60 mph. The ride is a little bit bumpy. Powerful brake is great.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.