Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )

Excellent!
By Bill Barnes

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has been a joy to own not only because of its reliability and functionality, but also because it is super fun to drive. We were amazed immediately at how stable and solid the car feels. I have no regrets at all.

I don't think people realize - this car feels like a 6 cylinder. It has great torque and can easily pass, etc... really nice acceleration. I tromp around town (only - very little highway) and get well over 40 mpg. Also - space inside is just amazing.

The front support bars (between the windshield and the doors) are thick and angled in such a way that they create a pretty big blind spot, particularly passenger side. Change? Also, make seat height adjustable. I am 6'4" and have to duck a little at times to see stoplights - let me lower the seat!

Fantastic Car for what it is.
By sshuit

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car if you buy it with the expectation that it is a fuel sipping multi-purpose vehicle. The problems with it that I have encountered are mostly minor. The seats are not very comfortable. 45-50 MPG is about the real world mileage you can expect. Performance is surprising but unspirited. (I am a former 3-series BMW driver.) It is the perfect commuter car and has plenty of room for 4. The high tech features are awesome. Bluetooth, touchscreen controls, stereo with 6 disc MP3 player.

Fuel economy, touchscreen, keyless operation.

More comfortable seats, more steering feel, lithium ion batteries with plug in hybrid ability, no lockout on audio/nav controls when moving.

Love it....
By ladybalboa

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my car. Averaging 52 mpg. It's great. The car is very comfortable for long trips.

Gas savings

Rear visibility

Just a GREAT automobile
By Joe Rizzo

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got the car because of the NYS Clean Pass that allows travel in LIE HOV lane w/o any passengers. Mission accomplished. Bought new 4/21/06, now has 12,000 miles. The surprise was the silver lining - anywhere between 48 and 54 mpg saves me thousands in gasoline. I drive a daily round trip of 140 miles - the car replaced by the Prius was a 2004 Mercedes Benz CLK Convertible - Benz @ 20 mpg with high test, Prius @ 50 mpg with regular. Any questions? And the fact that every fill-up costs pennies vs. the Benz says it all. My driveway contains three Mercedes, one BMW, one SAAB and one Prius. Reverse snobbery rules here in my house - the Prius wins HANDS DOWN. No wonder it retains value!

Prius Proud
By ennas

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having driven everything from a Porsche 944 to a Pontiac GTO ('66) and some of the fastest gas guzzlers one can drive, I am now an impassioned convert (aren't all converts impassioned?) to the low-emission, high-mileage-per-gallon world of the Toyota Prius. This car is incredible. First off, the mileage is great, even better than I thought it would be. Second, and now just as critical as ever, is the emissions. Very low, negligibly low, which means great things for the environment. Third, this car is FAST. Gets you on the highway very quickly and (don't tell the state troopers) I've had this car up to 95 mph; the car didn't even hiccup at that speed. That's plenty fast for anyone.

Love the look, love the mileage, love the comfort.

Absolutely none.