Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )

First Impressions
By pehayes

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well these impressions are based on the first 1500 miles. I bought the least expensive Prius (only with option 2 package). Car is responsive, runs smoothly, drives well in city or highway. Mileage is better than I thought it would be. Tax credit was a major factor in choosing Prius.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage - I am getting 50+ mpg. for the first 1500 miles.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats

Nice Prius
By ProudPriusOwner

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Read about it, bought it, love it. The interior is amazing. I'm just waiting for PHEV now.

Favorite Features

Room and fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Make it a PHEV

New car owner
By dave

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just purchased the car July of 2006. I have approximately 2000 miles. The MPG seems to be improving. If you stay at 55 mph , the MPG get better. I started at 41.1 MPH, and now I am up to 48.6 MPG, staying at slower speeds. Will update.

Favorite Features

Touch screen. Sorry I didn't have more money to get the GPS, but I did get all the safety features. Also it has stabilty control. Statistically they say vehicle stability control could save 10,000 lives.

Suggested Improvements

Front seat could be more adjustable. Seat should be able to go back more. I am surprise that it is a comfortable ride from such a small car. I do have trouble with a back problem at times, when I do a lot of driving, and at the present time, I get no backaches.

All around fun car to drive
By Dougie

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've never had so much fun driving a car in my life. It's a real kick employing special techniques -- like "pulse and glide" to maximize fuel economy. But even if you ignore special techniques, you'll just love watching your mpg screen tell you exactly how well you're doing in terms of mpg for every 5 minute driving segment. I can often record 100 mpg segments when in ideal driving conditions -- i.e., infrequent stopping, mid-speed driving. And all the while you're having fun, you can feel good about reducing pollution by 90% as compared to the average new car. With a comfortable ride, more than adequate acceleration, and top safety features, this car is hard to beat. I love it!

Favorite Features

MPG screens, and hybrid engine energy flows are a blast to watch. The upgraded JBL stereo system sounds quite good, and the 6-CD changer comes in quite handy. Auxiliary input for your iPod is great, too. Smart key function is the utmost in convenience, and lots of nice compartments and cupholders

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps a shade to keep main energy/mpg screen more easily visible in the sunlight. Multiple mpg counters, so that one can keep track of trip mpg, without losing overall tank or longer period mpg count. Ability to customize button functions on the steering wheel. But these are minor complaints.

Prius 2006
By Scott Ayliffe

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car! If this were a normal 4 or 6 cylinder gas engine car, it would still be a fantastic ride. The "fit and feel" is tight as you would expect from Toyota engineering. Gas mileage (real world) is closer to 39-40 mpg, but that's driving with AC blowing full blast (which drains batteries a little faster therefore requiring gas engine recharging at highway cruise speeds a little more often). It's fast off the line, too. Very quick car. If I drove it more efficiently, I would probably be getting better gas mileage. Would buy it again in a heartbeat !

Favorite Features

I like the whole display screen arrangement for AC, audio and fuel economy - it really cleans up the normal clutter that usually shows up on a cars dashboard.

Suggested Improvements

More remote control camera ability to show how close I am to curb I am parking next to and ability to see behind me while in "D"rive.