Used 2006 Toyota Prius Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )

A Little Gem
By gafulham

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought an '06 with 61,000 back four years ago. I now have just under 105k on it. This thing is built better than any car I have ever owned. Toyota just thinks everything out so well -- even the tire jack is in an elegant little tray which keeps all of the parts together without rattling. I have never been too mindful of the gas mileage -- I generally get in the low 40's - but the real beauty of this car is the build quality. It is a base model but everything in it works as well today as they day it was built. Cars are expensive and these are more expensive than most cars in their class -- but they are worth every penny for the lack of drama they provide day in and day out.

Build quality, surprising amount of interior room, quiet at highway speeds, nicely equipped (power windows, locks, cruise, climate control) for a base model.

The steering is beyond numb -- my only complaint.

The best decision I ever made besides my marriage
By joyfulnoise

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased in summer 2006. With just under 141,000 miles, I've loved this car every minute I've driven it. Average mix of city/hwy I get 50-55 mpg, with full highway driving 49-53 depending on length of the drive (a few hours vs. much longer distances.) regular gas. It has saved me a fortune in gas and like the 4 Toyotas I owned before it since 1981, it has been continuously reliable. In spring 2012 my hybrid battery died at @128K. I decided: Why buy a new car? There's none better on the market. Replaced the hybrid battery for $2400, now have another 100K warranty on battery. Few things have been a problem - headlights expensive, struts went at 89K, but virtually nothing else. AMAZING car.

Difficult to see from the sides of the car when looking over the shoulder. When replacing hybrid battery I had a nearly 2-month delay in spring 2012 because the battery had to come over from tsunami-ravaged area of Japan, but the dealership provided a replacement vehicle during that time. Hybrid batteries are backordered, it's a hardship and a shame, but worth the wait -- there's no car currently on the market that is more reliable or a better value than this one, so for a mere @$2500 more, to have a vehicle with new 100K warranty on battery, it's a blessing.

179,476 miles and still going strong
By ehaw

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

LOVE my Prius! We are high mileage commuters, perfect car for the miles we drive. Purchased for $15,200 in 2009 used with mid 20k miles. Use Michelins for a better ride and gas mileage. We are getting 44-56 mpg depending on how much we run A/C (Hey it's Texas, so most of the time) Early morning when it is still cool can easily hit 52-56 since most are highway miles. Expenses occurred so far: Use a K&N engine air filter which saves on air filter expense - not that hard to clean and recharge. Oil changes at 5000k, wiper blades, and I change cabin air filter myself to save service charge. Biggest expense - replacing a part that controls the changeover between electric and gas. $500

Gas mileage and the amount of money we have saved. Leather seats are hard but comfortable. Like all the interior room and the back hatchback for the grocery store. Holds plenty of stuff including dog kennels.

Have had problems with the headlights going on and off a lot which gets irritating. Luckily, we don't drive that much at night. Small tires and heavy downpours do not go together. It does not handle that well in wind and rain. Somewhat noisy inside passenger cabin but liveable when I think about the money I am saving.

This is the best car I've ever owned
By spaam2021

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The gas savings is obvious -- I'm getting 50MPG with 90% highway driving. If I drive in the city only, I can get 60+MPG. My fuel costs went from $200+ per month to under $100 with barely any effort. The car has also been highly reliable. After all this time I've owned it, it didn't need anything beyond basic maintenance. Sometimes it doesn't even need anything beyond an oil change. I also LOVE the interior in this thing. The 'Start' ignition button, joystick shifter, LCD dashboard, multifunction display....it all looks very futuristic to me. I wish the car has a temperature gauge on the LCD dashboard and that it is more comfortable to ride, but otherwise, it's an extremely great car!

High MPG, multifunction display and LCD dashboard, ability to drive on electricity at low speeds

The car could be quieter and more comfortable. The audio system could also use some improvements. There tends to be lag between songs and powering up when using MP3 CDs.

This has been an AMAZING CAR!!
By priusmatt

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my 2006 Prius V for a year and a half and just had to write a review because it has been such a wonderful car. I bought this car in May 10 w/ 80k miles on it and was a little worried at first because of the high miles. I ended up getting a smokin deal & the only fixes that this car has needed has been an A/C fan regulator, front light bulbs, and the typical oil change, brakes, tires. I now have 122,000 miles on this car (I drive about 3,000 miles a month) and man, what an excellent car! I have range 55-70 mpg (yes 70!) here in Phx. So, if you are considering used, go for it! This is a GREAT CAR that runs well as the miles get up there. Trading for an 11 Prius this month!

Amazing gas miles, ESP as you learn to drive these cars. The Bluetooth is awesome, backup camera great (will get one on every car from here on out), CD and JBL sounds really wonderful, and the iPod adapter - all a must. Especially love that w/ the smart key you can't lock your keys in the car! (have done about 8 x so far,..but the car won't let you lock me in there...lol - a real life saver.). Storage is plenty (and I have 2 kids), & the overall feel of the car is really ++. I am a BMW guy (had an M5 and M Roadster), and decided to change for the gas mileage. You won't regret it once you buy your Prius. Getting great mileage is a fun "game", and to drive 3-4 miles w no engine on? WOW!!!

Better paint on the hood (some rock chips showing),.. But actually not bad at all for 122k miles. Haven't really used the nav much (I use google maps on my bberry), but all else has been wonderful. Looking fwd to the 2011, and am passing on the 2010 b/c I have heard some issues with the first year of the model change. Will def be a hybrid driver for life. Have a rental car now that gets 25 mpg,..and HATING it! Lol!