2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
A Little Gem
By gafulham on 01/25/14 13:41 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought an '06 with 61,000 back four years ago. I now have just under 105k on it. This thing is built better than any car I have ever owned. Toyota just thinks everything out so well -- even the tire jack is in an elegant little tray which keeps all of the parts together without rattling. I have never been too mindful of the gas mileage -- I generally get in the low 40's - but the real beauty of this car is the build quality. It is a base model but everything in it works as well today as they day it was built. Cars are expensive and these are more expensive than most cars in their class -- but they are worth every penny for the lack of drama they provide day in and day out.

The best decision I ever made besides my marriage
By joyfulnoise on 01/04/13 05:56 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased in summer 2006. With just under 141,000 miles, I've loved this car every minute I've driven it. Average mix of city/hwy I get 50-55 mpg, with full highway driving 49-53 depending on length of the drive (a few hours vs. much longer distances.) regular gas. It has saved me a fortune in gas and like the 4 Toyotas I owned before it since 1981, it has been continuously reliable. In spring 2012 my hybrid battery died at @128K. I decided: Why buy a new car? There's none better on the market. Replaced the hybrid battery for $2400, now have another 100K warranty on battery. Few things have been a problem - headlights expensive, struts went at 89K, but virtually nothing else. AMAZING car.

179,476 miles and still going strong
By ehaw on 07/29/12 17:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

LOVE my Prius! We are high mileage commuters, perfect car for the miles we drive. Purchased for $15,200 in 2009 used with mid 20k miles. Use Michelins for a better ride and gas mileage. We are getting 44-56 mpg depending on how much we run A/C (Hey it's Texas, so most of the time) Early morning when it is still cool can easily hit 52-56 since most are highway miles. Expenses occurred so far: Use a K&N engine air filter which saves on air filter expense - not that hard to clean and recharge. Oil changes at 5000k, wiper blades, and I change cabin air filter myself to save service charge. Biggest expense - replacing a part that controls the changeover between electric and gas. $500

This is the best car I've ever owned
By spaam2021 on 06/26/12 20:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The gas savings is obvious -- I'm getting 50MPG with 90% highway driving. If I drive in the city only, I can get 60+MPG. My fuel costs went from $200+ per month to under $100 with barely any effort. The car has also been highly reliable. After all this time I've owned it, it didn't need anything beyond basic maintenance. Sometimes it doesn't even need anything beyond an oil change. I also LOVE the interior in this thing. The 'Start' ignition button, joystick shifter, LCD dashboard, multifunction display....it all looks very futuristic to me. I wish the car has a temperature gauge on the LCD dashboard and that it is more comfortable to ride, but otherwise, it's an extremely great car!

This has been an AMAZING CAR!!
By priusmatt on 12/05/11 19:15 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my 2006 Prius V for a year and a half and just had to write a review because it has been such a wonderful car. I bought this car in May 10 w/ 80k miles on it and was a little worried at first because of the high miles. I ended up getting a smokin deal & the only fixes that this car has needed has been an A/C fan regulator, front light bulbs, and the typical oil change, brakes, tires. I now have 122,000 miles on this car (I drive about 3,000 miles a month) and man, what an excellent car! I have range 55-70 mpg (yes 70!) here in Phx. So, if you are considering used, go for it! This is a GREAT CAR that runs well as the miles get up there. Trading for an 11 Prius this month!

6 Year / 100K Mile Update
By fido1 on 08/07/11 05:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A quick update... The car is still running great after almost 100K miles. Items replaced - tires, wipers, front light bulbs (I drive with them on all the time), water pump (covered by my 100K extended warranty), and a recall for the hybrid coolant system tank, air filters, plugs, and serpentine belt, and full coolant change out (I do everything early). Live in New England - get 47 mpg in spring, summer, fall, and 44.5 mpg in winter driving. Based on last oil change, estimate that I still have 35% of brake pads left. Will be replacing my floormats soon, driver side wore out.

no regrets
By sublimesipping on 07/25/11 19:04 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

coming up on the 5 year anniversary of this big purchase for us- we thought long and hard about the investment on so many levels. happy to say 5 years later we have no regrets and are very happy with this car. Reliability has been outstanding. Only routine maintenance with the exception of a leaking water pump caught by the dealer doing routine oil change and repaired under warrranty at no cost to us.

Traded a 2008 touring for a 2006 base
By mike on 03/26/10 18:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drove a 2008 touring prius for 1500 miles and averaged 42 mpg. Then I bought a 2006 base prius and I'm averaging over 48 mpg for the first 100 miles. Maybe the weight of the car and the tires makes a difference in the mpg rating. I do think the 2008 has better sound deadening insulation which may make the car heavier. I previously owned a bmw 335, bmw 525, infiniti m35, toyota avalon, subaru legacy, mazda 3, saturn l200, mustang gt, saab 9-3, honda accord, honda passport, nissan truck, and chevy cavalier but the prius is my favorite simply because of the gas mileage, low maintenance cost and quiet ride. Bought the 2006 base with 49k miles certified for $13,500--excellent condition inside/out.

Wish there were some 11s
By Smugly on 02/12/10 09:40 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car 1/16/06 and finally experienced our first problem - right rear tailight bulb burned out (that's what I thought until I jiggled the bulb and it came back on) 61K miles and still have not had to even change the brake pads! Very roomy and comfortable. Surprize - it will do 106 mph (I personally attest)! OK, it's not a sporty car - but it is fun to drive on the back roads here in NH. We have pushed the MPG reset button only once - at 36K miles - the first 36k our average mpg was 44.7 and since it has averaged a little lower at 43.9. Cold weather and 4 wheel snowtires (a must where there are snowy roads) decrease mpg considerably. Getting ready to buy a 2010 - psyched!

Incredibly functional, not comfortable
By JohnMcdougal on 11/21/09 14:02 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

To be fair, I should note that this car belongs to my parents. However, on trips back to California, I have driven their Prius thousands of miles. While its functionality, basic competence, and incredible fuel economy are indisputable, we all find the seats relatively uncomfortable. They are small and stiff, with virtually no lumbar support. Even as manual seats, they should have more adjustments. And even though the driving position is fine in terms of front view, I find the steering wheel placement uncomfortable. Beyond that, the ride is too stiff and jittery over rough pavement and too loose and wallow-y on curvy roads. If comfort and performance are high on your list, not the car 4u

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.