Used 2006 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 250 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (250 reviews )

Great Car!!!
By Will

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2006 Toyota Prius has 85,000 miles and is still running strong. I have had no mechanical issues with this car. The Prius is very easy to maneuver in. It gets great gas mileage, it averages 45 mpg in the city. Surprisingly it is pretty spaces, there is enough room for 5 people to fit comfortable. The back seat folds flat to make extra cargo space. I have haled a lot of stuff in the back of my Prius. The technology is pretty good for a 9 year old car, it has a backup camera, hands free calling, navigation, auto climate control, smart key system and HID headlights. The only complaint I have is that the interior materials are low quality and scratch very easily.

Absolutely Love My 2006 Prius Toyota Hybrid☺
By Maria

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am so happy with my Toyoyta Prius! I purchased it Oct. 12, 2015 used, It's in new condition, and runs great! Love everything about it, so far☺

A Little Gem
By gafulham

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought an '06 with 61,000 back four years ago. I now have just under 105k on it. This thing is built better than any car I have ever owned. Toyota just thinks everything out so well -- even the tire jack is in an elegant little tray which keeps all of the parts together without rattling.
I have never been too mindful of the gas mileage -- I generally get in the low 40's - but the real beauty of this car is the build quality. It is a base model but everything in it works as well today as they day it was built. Cars are expensive and these are more expensive than most cars in their class -- but they are worth every penny for the lack of drama they provide day in and day out.

Build quality, surprising amount of interior room, quiet at highway speeds, nicely equipped (power windows, locks, cruise, climate control) for a base model.

The steering is beyond numb -- my only complaint.

The best decision I ever made besides my marriage
By joyfulnoise

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased in summer 2006. With just under 141,000 miles, I've loved this car every minute I've driven it.
Average mix of city/hwy I get 50-55 mpg, with full highway driving 49-53 depending on length of the drive (a few hours vs. much longer distances.) regular gas. It has saved me a fortune in gas and like the 4 Toyotas I owned before it since 1981, it has been continuously reliable. In spring 2012 my hybrid battery died at @128K. I decided: Why buy a new car? There's none better on the market. Replaced the hybrid battery for $2400, now have another 100K warranty on battery. Few things have been a problem - headlights expensive, struts went at 89K, but virtually nothing else. AMAZING car.

Difficult to see from the sides of the car when looking over the shoulder. When replacing hybrid battery I had a nearly 2-month delay in spring 2012 because the battery had to come over from tsunami-ravaged area of Japan, but the dealership provided a replacement vehicle during that time. Hybrid batteries are backordered, it's a hardship and a shame, but worth the wait -- there's no car currently on the market that is more reliable or a better value than this one, so for a mere @$2500 more, to have a vehicle with new 100K warranty on battery, it's a blessing.

179,476 miles and still going strong
By ehaw

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

LOVE my Prius! We are high mileage commuters, perfect car for the miles we drive. Purchased for $15,200 in 2009 used with mid 20k miles. Use Michelins for a better ride and gas mileage. We are getting 44-56 mpg depending on how much we run A/C (Hey it's Texas, so most of the time) Early morning when it is still cool can easily hit 52-56 since most are highway miles.
Expenses occurred so far: Use a K&N engine air filter which saves on air filter expense - not that hard to clean and recharge. Oil changes at 5000k, wiper blades, and I change cabin air filter myself to save service charge. Biggest expense - replacing a part that controls the changeover between electric and gas. $500

Gas mileage and the amount of money we have saved. Leather seats are hard but comfortable. Like all the interior room and the back hatchback for the grocery store. Holds plenty of stuff including dog kennels.

Have had problems with the headlights going on and off a lot which gets irritating. Luckily, we don't drive that much at night. Small tires and heavy downpours do not go together. It does not handle that well in wind and rain. Somewhat noisy inside passenger cabin but liveable when I think about the money I am saving.