2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Very reliable hybrid

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Very reliable hybrid
By jadziasman on

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Second owner. Extremely reliable. Driven for 82K miles, Has 217K miles now. Package 6 nearly all available options installed. Except for three necessary repairs (HID headlight leveling sensor, HV inverter electric water pump, and gasoline engine water pump) no mechanical problems. Uses a quart of oil every 3000 miles or less depending on average speed driven. Traction battery still works. Every light, switch, sensor, etc still function. Original brakes and suspension. Fuel tank capacity varies considerably with ambient temp. Only holds about 8 gallons when temp is less than 20 deg F and holds about 11 gallons when temp is over 80 deg F. Road noise an issue on concrete hwys.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy 47 mpg average year round in SE Michigan. Engine shuts off when stopped. Roomy interior. Lots of small storage spaces. Smart key and push button start 100% reliable. Bluetooth phone works well. Premium audio system works well but sound quality suffers because of speaker size and placement. HID headlights are excellent. Easy to do regular maintenance. Brake life - still haven't replaced pads, shoes, rotors, or drums. Automatic climate control.
By jadziasman
on 08/13/14 12:02 PM (PDT)

As the writer of this review, I find it fascinating that someone (in this case, fourteen someones so far) would not find my review helpful. Everything I wrote about my car is true. The car now has 224K miles and since my review 5 months ago, the only thing that is not working is the brake light for the parking brake pedal. It no longer functions because the switch fell off the pedal assembly because it self loosened. Too much of a hassle to repair so I just closed the switch with a zip tie so that the light does not come on anymore except during start up. Other than that, it's perfect. To the 14 - why wasn't my review helpful?

By jea333
on 09/18/14 07:49 AM (PDT)

Hey I liked your review!!...I have a used 2005 Prius in my area with 216K miles and was wondering if there are any hints regarding what to look for specifically with this many miles?

By jadziasman
on 01/24/15 06:19 AM (PST)

Well, another five months and 6000 miles has gone by. Nothing has failed. Getting same mpg as have been the past four years. Am planning to replace spark plugs and THE transaxle fluid this spring. Maybe new tires all around too. THIS HAS BEEN A VERY RELIABLE CAR THAT ALSO HAPPENS TO BE A HYBRID!!!!!

By jadziasman
on 07/01/15 16:05 PM (PDT)

Driven this Prius for over 100K miles so far. Has 236,500 miles. Haven't replaced anything since my last update (except two oil changes). Amazing vehicle. Will need new tires before winter.