2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Love It, Love It, Love It

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Love It, Love It, Love It
By Amy K. on

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In the two years that I've owned my Prius, it has exceeded all my expectations. Having previously owned three fairly high-end SUVs, I expected to feel cramped in the Prius. On the contrary, I've found it extremely comfortable to drive, there is room when necessary for four passengers and my two dogs, and with the back seats laid down, there's plenty of room for over-sized items like small furniture. My husband was sure I'd miss the luxuries of my other cars, but that proved wrong, too. The GPS and other in-dash or steering wheel features are great, and it does not have the "empty shell" feeling of other compact cars. I also expected not much power, but pick-up on hills and onramps is fine.

The mileage is fantastic. Also, it has the reliability I've always experienced in Toyotas. There's been no need to bring it into the dealer for anything but regular services.

I would want it redesigned to avoid the "bar" across the back window, to which the windshield wiper is attached. Like other Prius drivers, I found that it cuts my visibility in half, horizontally, across the back. I've gotten used to it, but I'd like to see it avoided in future designs.