2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (606 reviews )
Prius Pride
By Lane Garrett on 08/03/06 16:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are proud to own a Prius since it answers part of the oil supply and the global warming growing crises. The instrumentation and human engineering are supurb and quicky help train a driver for maximum fuel economy. We are now considering a second Prius. I only wish that Toyota would add rack and pinion steering for better wind stability. A larger battery with plug-in capability should be added for the next generation!

Best car I've had
By Joel Dorfman on 08/03/06 14:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'd love this car even if it didn't have very low emissions and great gas mileage. It's small, yet roomy. Quiet, responsive and attractive. I feel proud to drive it.

The best car I've ever had
By Marque Sussman on 08/03/06 14:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is fun to drive! It gets great mileage, as advertised, around 50 mpg. It looks great. It is extremely comfortable and has a huge amount of leg room in the rear seat. The heater and a/c are terrific. The radio and 6 CD changer are excellent quality. The GPS system and maps are tremendously helpful when in unfamiliar locations.

Awesome Prius
By Maria Kenez on 08/03/06 13:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second Prius, first was a 2002, also awesome. I was told that highway mi/gal will be lower, but I find that not to be true. I can get as good as 50 mi/gal on long interstate trips. In the city I get somewhat less. There are also some driving habits you can pick up to increase performance. You get ques from the "energy" display. Very clever engineering.

2005 Toyota Prius
By JUAN on 08/03/06 11:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

One of the best cars on the road!!! It's smooth, comfortable, economic and in parts like D.C. you can drive on the HOV even if there is only one person in the car!

My best car ever!
By merriama on 08/03/06 11:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned eight (8) vehicles during my driving lifetime, and this car tops them all. Driving my Toyota Prius is a true pleasure. It's comfortable, pretty, and energy efficient. Because I want to maximize my MPG, I'm more conscious of staying within the speed limit. I also enjoy knowing that in a small way, driving this hybrid has a more positive impact on the environment than a regular gas fueled vehicle.

Pleasantly surprised
By ss63 on 08/02/06 20:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

More room and acceleration than expected. Ride is good but not great. So far we like it a lot.

50 -55 MPG -- LOVE LOVE LOVE IT
By Marge on 08/01/06 14:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are getting 50 - 55 miles per gallon. Great ---It is peppy, fun, and the mpg makes it super. Love the Toyota reputation - put on 15,000 miles and no problems. My 17 year old is short and she can reach the gas and brake with no problem -- she is 4 foot 8 inches. Dad is 5'10" and he is comfortable. The computer screen is great. Make it in a mini van model so we can travel in it. Wow - that would be so great.

Prius Driver Upgrades to Another Prius
By KlnAir4U on 07/29/06 18:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving an '03 Prius for 80,000 Km (50,000 Mi), I was so pleased with everything about the Prius, that I traded it in on the larger '05 Prius. Besides getting me to work in Toronto Canada and volunteer driving of seniors, I drive to the cottage, to Florida, to New Brunswick and just this weekend, drove round trip to Wisconsin. The drive is so quiet and smooth that I do not tire at the wheel and do not have a problem with "Road Rage" because my engine is off when I'm sitting in traffic and this can be actually quite "calming".

Boring Toyota
By john on 07/18/06 18:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Not as economical or clean as Toyota claim, poor performance and slow when you want to feed in to a freeway or start off in heavy traffic, takes too long for petrol motor to start when you need the power, expensive servicing and not as reliable as people think a Toyota should be.