Used 2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )

Couldn't be more satisfied
By Frugal

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Incredibly, the Prius was a replacement for a Mitsubishi Evo 8 that I had grown tired of. I have now owned the Prius for almost three years and I couldn't be more satisfied with it.

Favorite Features

Economy, reliability, resale, comfort and design (inside and out). Plus the little known bonus of being simply awesome in the snow/ice (better even than my less aggressively shod Audi S4 with Quattro) when equipped with skinny snow tires.

Suggested Improvements

Plug-in capability. Less scratchable interior plastics.

More than expected
By b_miller

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was expecting great gas mileage, I was expecting legendary Toyota quality. I was not expecting the power that this sub 100 horsepower engine put out. Very quick acceleration considering it has something like 73 HP. Very good cargo space, seats folding flat is a great plus as well. Car drives very smooth, and handling is responsive. Car seems to have a very light but noticable shift/transition from electric power to gas. Overall a great car, I would rate a 8.5 out of 10. Gas mileage is amazing and get up and go is more than adequate. Would recommend.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Cargo space. Acceleration. Ride/handling.

Suggested Improvements

Front passenger knee room is a little tight. I am 6'2" and knees hit the dash, found to be uncomfortable on long trips, had to constantly move lege to avoid dash from digging in knee. The dash display is a good distance from steering wheel and is difficult to read, especially with any sun glare.

Best Car Evar
By jimintampa

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive a lot - bimonthly trips from Florida to Arkansas, a lot in Florida, it's simply the best car I ever had (and I've had a lot of cars). Best part is the way it teaches the driver.

Favorite Features

Computer, liftback can carry 2 bikes.

Efficiency all the way!
By Airplane Pilot

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive this car and it is always a pleasure to not have to stop for gas hardly ever. This car gets superb gas mileage, and although I do not think it is quite as good as the EPA suggests, it is still higher than ever! It is a slow accelerator, but the brakes work pretty well. I would rather have a leather interior and this does not have it. The seats are fairly comfortable, leg room is solid, but they could be better if they were soft leather. Dont spill anything on the seats, because you will have a heck of a time trying to get the stains out. The car turns well and is a solid performer in all areas, and it is oh so quiet. Luv efficiency and the cool little high-tech look!

Favorite Features

GPS, touch-screen LCD, digital speedometer, smooth look, and high-tech interior design. Also like the good storage space.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats. Leather (they probably have it available now). Maybe better acceleration, but not really needed unless you are a street racer.

GREAT CAR
By Kathryn Brown

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is amazing and I will never not own another hybrid again! I am thrilled with the gas mileage, which has been 51-52 mpg average. I couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

Fabulous gas mileage. Roomy interior for a compact vehicle. Does wonderfully on the highway and I have a lead foot. I travel at least 70 miles a day to work and home.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a better sound system in the car, and it is light and easily blown around on the highway. I would LOVE to see Toyota build a two door, sportier version of this car! Looking forward to it.