Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 610 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (610 reviews )

Bonnie's Lean, Green, Clean Machine!
By Bonnie C

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my lean, green, clean machine so much that I racked on over 64,000 miles in 3 yrs. I live in ski resort mountains and travel with my 5 person family. I really put this car to the test! I usually get 45 mpg in the winter, 50 in spring/fall, and 55-65 all summer. These numbers are a packed car (500+ lbs of psgrs) and mountain travel. The numbers depend on the driver. If my lead-footed husband takes my car, he only gets 42-45 mpg. The only problem that I had in 3 yrs is that the gas door started to stick, but my husband lubricated it and bent something and it is fixed. Gas prices being what they are, my Prius literally makes its own loan pmt in gas savings each mo! What a pleasure!

Eco friendly, high mpg, cool style, awesome technology, comfort, great drive, storage, good use of space, many cupholders, nice sound system, easy to drive/park, fits any spot, adjusts driving to driver, dependable, super fuel efficient, makes its own loan pymt in fuel savings-free!! Will buy again!

Fix gas door issue. A darker interior color, my family stains the light tan color easily, though it does come clean with stain remover. A little more head room in the rear, my son is 6 ft, and on a really bumpy road, he will bump his head on the roof of the car.

I'll always own a hybrid!
By Always hybrid!

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had previously owned a hybrid civic. The Prius gets better mileage and is more versatile with cargo (the seats fold down for entire back storage). The Prius is comfortable to drive and ride in, with easy maneuverability, too!

Powerful AC, average 50+ MPG, fewer oil changes. At the 100K mile service, no problems were found.

I wish there was less road noise. That's the one thing I like about a luxury vehicle. . . it's QUIET inside!

2nd best car I ever owned
By yat993

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With 75000 miles after a late 2005 purchase, I have had zero problems with this car. Gas mileage average is probably 48 -- never less than 45 -- often above 50, and this is mostly city driving. Oh yea, my number 1 favorite car was my 1995 Porsche 911 convertible -- I actually used the proceeds from the sale of that car to purchase the Prius.

The navigation (GPS) system; manueverability (tight turning circle); keyless entry

Would like to see better lumbar support in seats. Also, keyless entry will not unlock back door unless passenger door has been opened.

This car works for a living.
By John L

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Other than standard maintenance, this car has had zero problems. Performance is considerably better than expected in all categories.

Video function display is handy.

Prius to go
By benjamin franco

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought used w/22,000 miles, satisfied w/performance even on steep inclines contrary to expectations of sceptical friends. Like all the built in maintanance features: oil, brakes, etc.

looks, fuel economy, smoothness of transmission, battery functions.

softer ride