Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (609 reviews )

I'll always own a hybrid!
By Always hybrid!

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had previously owned a hybrid civic. The Prius gets better mileage and is more versatile with cargo (the seats fold down for entire back storage). The Prius is comfortable to drive and ride in, with easy maneuverability, too!

Powerful AC, average 50+ MPG, fewer oil changes. At the 100K mile service, no problems were found.

I wish there was less road noise. That's the one thing I like about a luxury vehicle. . . it's QUIET inside!

2nd best car I ever owned
By yat993

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With 75000 miles after a late 2005 purchase, I have had zero problems with this car. Gas mileage average is probably 48 -- never less than 45 -- often above 50, and this is mostly city driving. Oh yea, my number 1 favorite car was my 1995 Porsche 911 convertible -- I actually used the proceeds from the sale of that car to purchase the Prius.

The navigation (GPS) system; manueverability (tight turning circle); keyless entry

Would like to see better lumbar support in seats. Also, keyless entry will not unlock back door unless passenger door has been opened.

This car works for a living.
By John L

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Other than standard maintenance, this car has had zero problems. Performance is considerably better than expected in all categories.

Video function display is handy.

Prius to go
By benjamin franco

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought used w/22,000 miles, satisfied w/performance even on steep inclines contrary to expectations of sceptical friends. Like all the built in maintanance features: oil, brakes, etc.

looks, fuel economy, smoothness of transmission, battery functions.

softer ride

Prius saved me $8,000 in gas
By Prius

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Prius was in a national survey during the first 40,000 miles averaging 50.9 mpg. I've had over 12 new vehicles from different brands and this one the best besides saving over $8,000 so far. Toyota got it right. Only repair has been oil changes and running great. My next vehicle will be the next generation Prius at 80-100 mpg. My wife and I though that gas was high ($1.69/gallon) when we bought this car. We really look smart now with gas over $3.25. They are working on the next generation Prius and I can not wait to purchase the next one. Out of my last 12 new vehicles this ranks A +++.

The room inside is deceiving from the outside. It appears small, but my son-in-law is 6'4" and is very comfy in the back seat. I've hauled 8 foot 2x4 lumber and mldge for my rental properties, so it's great for our needs. The hidden rear compartment stores coats, football gear and others.

• SUV