Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )

I like it a lot!
By kenpassaic

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a comfortable, peppy car that delivers the typical 5 miles per gallon less than epa, but is untouched by any other 4 door on the road. Besides, it's fun to watch the battery come into play when other cars would be burning gas!

No gas used at stoplights or during the many stops in Atlanta traffic.

The car would be so much better if they had a connection for household charging of the battery overnight, to reduce gas consumption even more, because the gas would come on less during some phases of driving.

Prius Rating
By John

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A great car for driving and economy

Display Map has come in useful several times already

Interior Cloth gets dirty fast and is hard to clean

Prius 2005
By Tim

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well it has been almost a month and over 1000 miles. My main concern is the drastic difference in MPG. I am getting low 40's a significant deviation from the touted 51/60. Acceleration off the line is lousy, but when you want to pass on the freeway you can easily, even up hills. Regarding the exterior it would be nice if the antenna wasn't sticking up like gazelle with only one horn. It would make putting a car cover on a nightmare. Inside, there is legroom galore. Seating for 5 and cupholders for 4 is a bit odd, but oh well. It would be nice if you could sit two in the back with the small side folded down but no.

Immediate feedback on gas consumption.

Change/move the antenna, Add a cupholder in back, allow two to sit in the back with the '40' side down. Strengthen the cover over the spare. I worry that dropping or even setting a scuba tank back there might cause it to cave in.

Satisfied owner
By D. Fisher

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has surpassed my expectations for a hybrid vehicle. It has more room, response, and features than I expected to get in this type of car. When traveling longer distances, I do get between 48 and 53 MPG. On flat roadways on shorter distances I have seen higher. The overall landscape is hilly where I live and generally the MPG is in the high 40's. This is lower than advertised but much greater than my previous car which had a V-6 engine.

The optional GPS system is my favorite part of the car. It has made driving to a new destination much easier and less stressful.

Review the work of the engineers that have been tinkering with the cars on their own and what they have done to increase the MPG. Some of their work may help improve what Toyoda has already done.

Prius Rocks!
By rscott1220

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own two Prius' - version 1 and version 2. I average 55MPG during the non-AC season in Florida and 49MPG during the worst of summer. The best thing about my Prius is I can run all day on the Interstate and get 45MPG at 75-80 MPH! After Hurricane Dennis we drove nearly 3 weeks on a tank of gas while everyone else waited in huge lines. My wife's version 1 car actually gets 57MPG with 69,000 miles on it. I have 2 complaints; the difference between EPA mileage estimates and reality, and this car does not do well on short trips. It needs about 3 miles to max out the battery charge which kills MPG on those 7-11 runs.

Hatchback with split folding rear seats. Cruise control! Smaller battery pack. Center console. Full reclining seats. Hidden "trunk" storage.

Develop an optional enhanced mileage package for the recently published small plug-in battery packs that boost local MPG up to 250MPG. This great road car suffers on short mileage trips and the experimental modification overcomes this by boosting power. I would buy this if reasonably priced.