2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (606 reviews )
Being real
By Pianodr on 09/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I first became interested in the Prius after a visit to my dentist left me in the chair for close to 4 hours. I happened to read the Motor Trend review article on the new design and decided to go look at one. I drive close to 30K miles a year. I have worked in the automotive industry in the past, so I knew not to expect that mind-blowing 61 mpg. I wanted to double the 20-22 mpg that I got on my Buick. I've done a little more than that and loved every second. It's a fun car to drive, and I'm looking forward to more Hybrid cars homing out in the future. I'll definitley buy another one.

It's all mine
By Jeri Waterloo on 09/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car because of the 60 mpg it was supposed to get... it does get about 46 mpg and once it got up to 51 mpg .. that is the only complaint I have with this car. I even showed at two local car shows in the import class and brought home two trophies. It is a fun car to drive and handles well at all speeds.

Prius, a great car!
By edventa on 09/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius is fun to drive and has proven to save gas, though not as much as advertised. Perhaps 50 mpg.

I love my Prius
By victorious on 09/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my 2001 Ford Escape for a new Prius and it was the best thing I ever did. I drive about 80 miles a day all freeway and some in town and this car really moves. I wave goodbye as I pass the gas stations having saved about 200.00 a month a least in gas with my gas hog Escape. The Prius handles effortlessly and it has more than enough pick up and power. It keeps up with and passes up the big SUV's and trucks. I live in a huge city so parking is a dream. Clearly this is the best and smartest investment I could have made. Needless to say I will never go back to a gas unefficent vehicle again as I'm spoiled for life with my Prius.

Prius at 600 miles per week
By bradhtms on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Quite, rides like a cadillac, 51 MPH at 70 MPH. All systems perfect. This is the high end car.

Why I gave up my Lexus for this
By JohnDK on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I turned in my Lexus early. Lease was costing too much per mile and the price of gas at 18mpg is now $30 per tank. I was hoping only for great gas milage and got that and more. Driving the Prius is like driving the future. It's 98% smooth, not luxurious. I would have liked all auto windows, power seats, leather, memory on seat position, etc. And they COULD do this and add another few thousand to this car. But just the way it is, is amazing. That's why there is a 4-6 month wait for these and people are paying $500-$2000 over MSRP. How stupid are we in America.. WE should be building these. Drives fair to good, Don't expect a BMW or Lexus.