Used 2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 611 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (611 reviews )

Can't get enough of it
By omigosh

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Acceleration is thrilling. 300 ft/lbs of torque from the electric motor (added to the engine power) is available immediately - not like the 'wind it up 'til it screams and then it finally moves out' with just an engine. When moving slowly, on electric only, it's so quiet I end up sneaking up behind pedestrians - they never hear a thing. Driving downhill in the mountains, beside a mountain stream, we could hear the water babbling. Very nice! The DVD navigation is just like having a 'local' in the back seat, giving directions. Some buildings are labeled, mostly shopping centers, schools, gov't buildings, etc. I drive 75mph to work, get 50MPG. In stop & go, 60MPG. A total delight to drive.

DVD Nav, acceleration, auto-level headlamps, clean dash, giant gloveboxes. Added $45 kit for electric- only vehicle when under 35mph and gentle acceleration. Shifts immediately to hybrid if needed (standard in Japan/Europe). I've put 12,000 miles on it in less than 4 months. Wanna go for a ride?

Shrink the gearshift lever, or let it flip upward - I've bumped my knee on it a few times (I'm 6'2") Frankly, I can't think of anything else I would change.

1 complaint
By JMo

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love everything about this car but 1 thing. Everything scratches / stains really easily. My pin strip is pealing off a little but toyota will fix it for free. I have a couple scratches in my glove box already and the floor mats soak up dirt like no tomorrow. I can over look it though because other than that it is completely outstanding!

All the automation, smart key system, my keys never come out of my pocket!!!

materials should be a more resistant to stains & scratches.

I love my Prius
By TeresaP

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drove a Tahoe before purchasing my prius. At the recommendations of my father I looked at the prius & ended up ordering one. My Tahoe sold to the first person that looked at it which put me in a bind for transportation when I still had 2 months to go before it was to come in - it ended up coming in sooner and it has amazed me how much I like my prius - even more now that gas locally has risen to $2.69/gallon. I admit I miss my Tahoe but I don't miss close to $80/week in gas to get to work. The prius is a definate learning experience in changing the way you drive. The more miles I drive the better gas mileage I seem to get. I love my prius + savings on gas and state/fed taxes!!!

Keyless entry & driving - it has spoiled me to be able to walk up to my vehicle & start it without a key. I have the worst time driving any other vehicle when I have to use a key !!

Steering wheel needs to be a telescoping steering wheel-I hate to sit close but on longer trip it is not comfortable to drive with arm totally extended. Vent for the batteries on passenger side back seat needs moved-on long trips children use pillows to lean on & they cannot cover this vent.

Prius Fan
By Jay

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The world looks a lot greener at 50 mpg! I'm averaging about 49 through my first 5000 miles. As others have commented, this car changes your driving habits; after watching the Prius information display for a while, you could probably learn to get better mileage from any car. (Most revealing to me is the realization that mileage is always lowest when the engine is cold. Link your trips!) But there's more to the Prius than great mileage. It's stylish, roomy, and comfortable; it performs well; and it's lots of fun to drive.

Great mileage; smart key system; information display; electronic stability control (hope I never need it, but great to have it).

Something isn't quite right ergonomically for a tall driver (I'm 6'-3"). There's plenty of leg room and head room, but I wish the steering wheel were a little more adjustable. The top of the windshield is low; I find myself hunching over to see stoplights. Sightlines to the rear are not great.

I love my Prius!
By Gayle

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. Besides being a clean air car and fuel efficient, I got what I think of as luxury features such as bluetooth technology and a navigation system at a modest price. I love the keyless entry and the fact that I don't even have to put my key in the ignition to drive the car. The milege is great as gas prices keep rising.