2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews 6

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )
Love It, Love It, Love It
By Amy K. on 01/09/07 20:24 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In the two years that I've owned my Prius, it has exceeded all my expectations. Having previously owned three fairly high-end SUVs, I expected to feel cramped in the Prius. On the contrary, I've found it extremely comfortable to drive, there is room when necessary for four passengers and my two dogs, and with the back seats laid down, there's plenty of room for over-sized items like small furniture. My husband was sure I'd miss the luxuries of my other cars, but that proved wrong, too. The GPS and other in-dash or steering wheel features are great, and it does not have the "empty shell" feeling of other compact cars. I also expected not much power, but pick-up on hills and onramps is fine.

2005 Prius
By From Seattle on 01/07/07 23:00 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good car overall. After two years overall MPG is 40. I have been driving with traffic. I guess if you drive delaying everyone then you can get 50 mpg. Otherwise forget about it. After two years rattles started to develop in the cabin. Toyota should be looking closer at who is buying the car - this is not Echo/Corolla crowd. Toyota, please don't hesitate to make car a few grand more expensive, but make interior higher quality and insulate sound better. I don't need Lexus 450h, I want better Prius. 2007 model adds leather, but seats are still cheapo stuff.

Blue Bell
By embell on 01/07/07 16:41 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My husband first had his Prius arrive in 11/05, I signed on the list and received my Prius in 4/06. I got rid of a Mercury Grand Marquis to get this car, and was pleased to find how comfortable and useful it is. The space in the car is amazing. We camp, and find we can fit all of our equipment easily into a Prius. The ride is pretty hard, but you get used to it. Handling is very tight, there is no play in the steering wheel. There is plenty of power for passing, with both the gas and electric engines engaged. We get about 47 miles to the gallon overall; we live in an area where there are hills and ski slopes. When stuck in a traffic jam, it is calming to hear your gas engine go off.

Fits my needs exactly
By Retired on 12/29/06 13:10 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the car when in real estate to save on gas. I found it very dependable, reliable and fun to drive. I like the layout and the instrument panel as well as the 6 changer CD, the 2 glove boxes, and the cargo space in back with seats laid down. I do not get as much gas milieage as advertised, but about the same as I expected from talking with others. I would definitely buy another Prius or a hybrid vehicle in the future.

Love my Prius
By Stacey on 12/28/06 07:20 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I absolutely love my Prius. I love saving money on gas and I love the lower emissions. It is comfortable to drive and has great pickup.

Prius Rocks
By drosich on 11/26/06 09:26 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Prius is simply the best vehicle I have owned, and I have owned a number after driving for over 30 years. Reliable, comfortable and fun to drive - not to mention the best of all - super fuel economy. Although I don't get the 50-60 mpg that EPA says, I do get 45 to 48 on average, and that's still awesome. Only concern is that I am now on my 3rd set of tires, soon to purchase my 4th. But a really great car all around!

Prius makes it fun to drive again!
By COPhil on 11/15/06 09:34 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Prius is just over a year old and it is the first car that I've owned in the last 20 years that has actually been fun to drive. I've always had big cars, (Detroit Iron) for the comfort but we have just completed a four thousand mile motor trip and the Prius was more comfortable than my Chysler LHS or Buick Park Avenue and at 56 mpg. The car looks small from the outside but has plenty of head and leg room and the seats sit high so that you can see what's going on around the vehicle. I really enjoy this car unlike my last several vehicles that were just transportation.

Toyota Prius
By Marie D on 11/11/06 20:14 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius is a joy to own although I miss the sporty sleekness of my Toyota Celica. It has been a very economical car to own so far - fuel & no repairs.

Phenomenal Gas Mileage
By M. Evans on 11/10/06 09:42 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Gas mileage is not nearly what is displayed on the sticker... BUT 48 mpg in the city is not bad. Car is fun to drive and everyone asks about the vehicle and performance.

05 prius
By drpgville on 11/07/06 21:57 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had no problems with this vehicle. Fun to drive with options that are usually only available on much more expensive cars.