Used 2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 611 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (611 reviews )

Love it, but...
By john wish

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the car but I have three minor concerns: 1. GPS/information video screen is very difficult to see in bright sun. A small design change of tilting the screen some 15-20 degrees would help. 2. road noise on certain kinds of roads. Needs more insulation? 3. I'd like something like the On-Star system for automatic crash notification.

Gas mileage info screen on current gas mileage (makes me drive with a lighter foot. (:-)

see above

Simply Glorius!
By brenda.spencer

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've never rated anything ALL 10s before. That sums up the Prius experience for me, and I hope it will encourage you to "go for it." You will not be disappointed in any way, if you are deciding whether or not to buy one.

SmartKey: To never have to take it out of your pocket or purse is a convenience that suits me to a T.

I've read about that electric mode (EV) only . Maybe the US market would want that too. I'm not going to "aftermarket it" though. Don't want to run the risk of damaging something.

53 MPG
By lraisch

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After one year and a total of 70,000 miles, this car has had zero problems. Gas mileage averages between 50 and 53 mpg. Anyone who expected to get the old EPA estimate of 60 was naive. The car comes with an amazing amount of equipment (mine is package 4) for the price and has been a joy to own. The hybrid performance is almost totally transparent to the driver and the power is adequate. This is not a sports car and handling is not it's strong suit, also the car is nervous in cross winds. These are minor issues though. Comfort, quiet operation, high tech goodies and great mileage. I drive the car for service calls all day and couldn't be more pleased. Thanks, Toyota!

Mileage!! Stereo, voice command system, Bluetooth, AC/heating, roomy, comfortable, quiet, surprising power. Great brake life with regen. braking.

More durable finish on interior panels, OEM tires only lasted 25k, aftermarket tires are at 55k and going strong.

After 3 yrs - we bought a second Prius
By sergelbergeron

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had our 2005 Prius for over 3 years now and it performs just like new. We bought another one - a 2008 package 5 in October and they both ride the same even though the 2005 has 50,000 miles. I live in Canada and in the winter it is also a charm. Absolutely no problem with battery. Starts at -40 degrees, etc. It is an excellent vehicle.

The diplay screen and the gas milleage. My fun is to beat my MPG record, around 64 mpg one tank.

The back-up beeper is annoying. Some reflection on the windsheild at night from the dash lights when very dark outside, like driving in the country.

Love our Prius
By Sher

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driving our Prius has been an inspiring experience; it's given my family a new appreciation for our environment. It's allowing us the opportunity to move towards a 'greener' lifestyle. Performance is great, our Prius has pickup, zip and responds well in each situation we've put it through.

MPG is our favorite feature. We average 45 MPG in the winter and 50 MPG in the warmer months. With today's high gas prices, we have saved a ton of money!!

Increase the average MPG and make it affordable.