Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )

Love our Prius
By Sher

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driving our Prius has been an inspiring experience; it's given my family a new appreciation for our environment. It's allowing us the opportunity to move towards a 'greener' lifestyle. Performance is great, our Prius has pickup, zip and responds well in each situation we've put it through.

MPG is our favorite feature. We average 45 MPG in the winter and 50 MPG in the warmer months. With today's high gas prices, we have saved a ton of money!!

Increase the average MPG and make it affordable.

Love My Prius
By Ed

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Others can give technical reviews - I will just say I drive a LOT (36k/yr) and switched from a GS300 Lexus (sports sedan) to the Prius, and it has been wonderful! Excellent mileage is a given (45-47 on all roads, all weather). I drive faster than I should so slowing down would eke out 3-4 more mpg. Interior is very well-designed. Displays are different from American cars, much more efficient and user- friendly, and the display info is amazing. NO REPAIRS YET at 105,000 miles!! I have had many cars and all needd repairs before 100k miles, except the Prius. Of course I needed new tires, oil changes, maintenance. Handles well, easy to turn/park, love the hatchback.

Mileage of course is great. Love the GPS (how did we live without it), and the synchronous transmission is awesome. Seats 5 comfortably which is surprising since it looks smaller than it is inside. Also the hatchback - cargo area holds an amazing amount.

1) Add leather seats (cloth seats gets dirty so easily). 2) Add plug in, add enhanced battery pack (to get 100+ mpg), and 3) add "cross-over" body type with 3rd row seating (like RAV4) so it can seat >5 people while getting amazing mileage.

Bonnie's Lean, Green, Clean Machine!
By Bonnie C

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my lean, green, clean machine so much that I racked on over 64,000 miles in 3 yrs. I live in ski resort mountains and travel with my 5 person family. I really put this car to the test! I usually get 45 mpg in the winter, 50 in spring/fall, and 55-65 all summer. These numbers are a packed car (500+ lbs of psgrs) and mountain travel. The numbers depend on the driver. If my lead-footed husband takes my car, he only gets 42-45 mpg. The only problem that I had in 3 yrs is that the gas door started to stick, but my husband lubricated it and bent something and it is fixed. Gas prices being what they are, my Prius literally makes its own loan pmt in gas savings each mo! What a pleasure!

Eco friendly, high mpg, cool style, awesome technology, comfort, great drive, storage, good use of space, many cupholders, nice sound system, easy to drive/park, fits any spot, adjusts driving to driver, dependable, super fuel efficient, makes its own loan pymt in fuel savings-free!! Will buy again!

Fix gas door issue. A darker interior color, my family stains the light tan color easily, though it does come clean with stain remover. A little more head room in the rear, my son is 6 ft, and on a really bumpy road, he will bump his head on the roof of the car.

I'll always own a hybrid!
By Always hybrid!

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had previously owned a hybrid civic. The Prius gets better mileage and is more versatile with cargo (the seats fold down for entire back storage). The Prius is comfortable to drive and ride in, with easy maneuverability, too!

Powerful AC, average 50+ MPG, fewer oil changes. At the 100K mile service, no problems were found.

I wish there was less road noise. That's the one thing I like about a luxury vehicle. . . it's QUIET inside!

2nd best car I ever owned
By yat993

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With 75000 miles after a late 2005 purchase, I have had zero problems with this car. Gas mileage average is probably 48 -- never less than 45 -- often above 50, and this is mostly city driving. Oh yea, my number 1 favorite car was my 1995 Porsche 911 convertible -- I actually used the proceeds from the sale of that car to purchase the Prius.

The navigation (GPS) system; manueverability (tight turning circle); keyless entry

Would like to see better lumbar support in seats. Also, keyless entry will not unlock back door unless passenger door has been opened.