2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (606 reviews )
Great
By Mikie77 on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I picked up this car 5 days ago. I love the handling the pick up AND I drove 262 miles and needed 4.6 gallons of gas. I might kep this one 2 years.

Podka's evaluation
By Podka on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the right car at the right time and at the right place. I have owned this car for 12 months and have enjoyed the performance and comfort and reliabity it offers. Gas mileage is great. I have noticed that mileage is effected by the terrain you are negotiating. I live in a hilly area and that drags my average surface street mileage down to about 42mpg. However, traveling on the freeway, at speeds of 70-80 mph, I usually get 54 to 62 mpg. All in all, the Pruis is a very reliable and economical form of transportatlion. I love it more everyday as I check fuel prices!!

$$$ Saver !!!
By Les & Huong on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

skepticism was my first feeling but it was won over by the gas saving feature. The voice activation is a bit "clumsy" (ie "AM" vs. "ATM") but we work around it. Constant MPG tells us our economy which is good. Only one some thing I find is the body in which can be improved to look like a car rather than a "Jetsons" car. It is economical for the one wantting to save gas and preserve the world, but for the power hungry driver (as I am), not one to have in your driveway. Thank's Toyota for the car, more money to spend on the wife.

Grrreat car!
By aevans on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2004 modole has a lot of cargo space.I have gotten a large shopping cart of groceries in the back and still had room. Rides great, handles the crosswind great. (you don't get blown off the road). We have been getting an adv. of 56 to 58 miles to the gallon in fuel.

Ya Gotta Love It!
By A Long Time Waiting on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've waited over three years to purchase my Prius (was waiting for an old accident to clear from my record) and it was well worth the wait. EVERYTHING that others have told me about the Prius is true. It's fun to drive, handles beautifully, and is extremely comfortable. Did I mention that it's really fun to drive!?! The features mounted on the steering wheel are absolutely wonderful.

Super Car For Pet Sitting Business
By C.Vinal on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is a Pet Sitters dream for gas milage and dependabilaity. Here in Maine my customers are far apart, so I really save on gas. I can't say enough good things about this car. It's great for a business car.

Prius - the way to drive
By B2_bill on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I cant think of ever not driving a taoyota hybrid

Fantastic by any standard
By evanfusco on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car, if it suits your needs, by any standard. The nit picking reviews that you've read are basicly just looking for something to pick on. Drive this car like any other car and expect 45mpg. Drive carefully and learn the techniques and 55 is attainable often. It's too much fun to describe. The smark key system is a MUST!!

Prius after 6 months
By montrailer on 10/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After initial software problems, the car is generally reliable. Weather conditions, especially high humidity, will set-off a cacophony of warning lights, but after the software fix, the system resets itself so that I do not have to drive back to the dealership every week. I've been averaging 51-52 mpg on the highway but most drivers will only average a couple mpg better than a corolla. The secret to getting the advertised mpg is in the law of averages.

satisfied prius owner
By pbj on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

roomier than last years model.led readout screen is larger and easier to read.gear shift is out of the way and easy to operate .rear backup buzzer is annoying. climate control a plus over last years model,easy to operate. sound system is upgraded also.