2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (606 reviews )
prius
By pookster on 12/04/04 21:19 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

great car,great gas milage,fun to drive,no problems.we have two of them

The 2005 Toyota Prius Hybrid
By Pandro S. on 11/23/04 00:13 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2005 Toyota Prius Hybrid is the most innovative and technologically advanced car on the market today. And it is in the range of the average buyer. In my opinion it is tomorrows concept car available today. Well not exactly available today because the waiting list is quite long. It should be ordered with the Smart Key System and the Navigation System all in the same optional package. Although the response is slightly sluggish at first you will easily adapt to it. It is comfortable and roomy inside and holds four very well with extra room for a fifth. After a month I have been averaging 45 mpg.

One Sweet Car
By Bev42 on 11/16/04 20:04 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I waited from 6/28 to 10/29 for delivery and I received exactly the vehicle I wanted-pkg #6, a 2005 salsa red pearl loaded. I drove home from the dealership on the freeway at 60 - 65 mph and I got 47 mpg! Two weeks later, I filled the gas tank for approx $14! I had already driven my son's 2004 with pkg #8, so I wasn't surprised by the quiet motor, smooth ride, and good pick-up. I sat in the drive the next day with the engine turned on (not a sound) the car in park learning the mapping system and setting up the Bluetooth link with my Motorola V600 cell phone. (20 minutes) The mapping system later guided me directly to a hotel 190 mls away.

PRIUS THE GREAT
By JBALD64125 on 11/11/04 18:17 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

IT IS EVERYTHING YOU WANT IF YOU WANT COMFORT & GOOD GAS MILEAGE. RIDES QUIET & REAL SMOOTH

car critique.
By d.t. on 11/09/04 15:51 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

rear window wiper arm does not elevate for cleaning . have nothad any problem to accelerate on entering interstate highway. especially like convenience of key less entry.

It's a No Brainer
By Joe Faz on 11/07/04 02:57 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well I can't be too detailed as I have only driven my Prius for about a week now. It is fun and economical and not a bad ride for the cost. The only problem that I am having is that the windshield has an annoying rattle when I go over almost any bump. I am hoping to bring the car in and have it fixed. The car is very responsive and I can't believe the gas mileage that I am getting (average about 50mpg). If they fix this rattle in the windshield then I will highly recommend this car to everyone - as it is, everyone asks me about it. They all seem amazed and amused by its unique look, and it renders much more room then one might think and to top it off its very affordable.

Prius - It could be better.
By mrbehmon on 11/05/04 21:08 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Engine noisy during acceleration. A rattle developed in the dash and the service department cannot seem to fix it. The Prius has a small fuel tank (only 11 gallons) - which means that the driving range is not far - though gas mileage is good. The Honda Civic Hybrid has a standard tank (13 gallons) and much longer range. If I had it to do again I would go for the Civic or no hybrid at all.

Waited 9 months to get, and was worth it
By larry ganoung on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Least gas milage 37.5, 42.4, 47.5,50/s to 60/s up to 68.8 Best gas milage, and this includes highway and hills. Speed up to 70,71,72,73,74+, you think you are doing 40 or 50, it is so smooth and quiet, you have to watch your speed. the first day I drove it, I was on 70 mile speed limit, interstate, and did not know how to operate cruise and did not want to go over 45 or 50 with a new car. Later on interstate, My wife said you are doing 70, later she said you are doing 75, and later she said you are now doing 81. I would not normally, go over 70 to 74 or 75 max. The speed limit is 70. I defintly learned how to use the cruise control. It has the best map system, and easily seats 4 people

Prius = Excellence
By ChasSuitt on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What a great engineering accomplishment. Performance remains the same as a conventional sedan or coupe but fuel economy and overall maintenance savings are excellent. 90% less polluting than conventional cars, too. Then add the Navigation system and electric air conditioning for even more features. Another consideration is the 5-star (front/rear) collision rating and 4-star (side) collision rating. The Multifunction Display encourages improved driving habits to decrease fuel consumption. To repeat an OLD comment: "Damn clever, these Japanese!"

best car ever
By ralph dufus on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

this is the best car i have ever owned. it replaced a rather new MBZ, and this car is way more fun.