Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )

Great car
By Howard J. Huemmler

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got 53 mpg avg. for 8700 miles. Old car got 23. Go figure, literally. At $2.70/gal and 20000 miles annual usage, we're saving $2240/yr. So breakeven time for purchase price difference should be a couple of years. It is also comforting to know that we are killing demand, not people. This in addition to emissions reduction. Isn't this a no brainer for these three reasons?

Favorite Features

Gear shift, smart key and spacious "trunk" with fold down seats.

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank redesign so gas nozzle doesn't shut off about 2 gal. short of full. Also would like reverse beeper to sound externally also.

LoveThisCar
By Bev

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My drive to work is 10 miles - half highway, half city and I have never gotten less then 50mpg. First long trip is 3 weeks off and can't wait to use the cruise control.

Favorite Features

Amazing interior space - actually got 10' boards insde with no problem.

Suggested Improvements

The beige interior is tough to keep clean

2005 Toyota Prius
By wayneswhirld

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle has exceeded my expectations. Fuel economy is better than I expected (52-54 MPG) considering driving in an often hilly terrain. Quiet and smooth ride. Love the tech innovations. The Consumption display has changed how I drive. In a world where we are faced with issues of pollution and global warming, and reliance on fossil fuels and the related political implications of oil influencing our foreign policy, this car is a great alternative for a better world. Therefore, to me it is so worth spending thousands more for a company like Toyota to reward them for all the developmental costs they put into hybrid technology.

Favorite Features

Sophisticated display for consumption and energy information. ICE engine stopping at traffic lights, etc. Interior and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps an optional bank of batteries to allow for plugging in to significantly increase mileage toward triple digits.

Unbelieveable
By Comm MD

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had 17 vehicles so far at the age of 28. From 1967 to 2004 and chevy to toyota this car is quite impressive. At first you may be taken by the overall exterior design, but once you get in this car everything changes. Its like a computer on wheels and has every accessory you'll ever need. The interactive display is amazing with the navigation and integrated phone system. Plus the added bonus of seeing what engine is running and what MPG your getting at any specific point in time while your driving. Its interesting to know that your gas engine is off whenever your coasting, braking, or in stop and go traffic. You have got to test drive this car to get the feel of it.I guarantee you'll buy

Favorite Features

navigation, interactive display, keyless entry and operation (leaves keys in your pocket with smart key system) digital dash speedometer, ride quality, gas mileage, reliability rating, interior room (classified as a midsize car)

Suggested Improvements

Exterior design, make rear window one complete window and not two, better sound system(even upgraded system isnt that great)

No better technology out there.
By DDG

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned a 2005 for only a month. I am still amazed at the technology that Toyota has designed into this car. It's also fun to drive. My second car is a convertible sports car, and I must say that most often, it's difficult deciding which one to take out.

Favorite Features

Navigation control system, near heads up display for speedometer.

Suggested Improvements

More adjustments on the drivers seat or telescoping steering wheel.