2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (606 reviews )
BUY THIS CAR
By CM & LM on 01/05/05 22:54 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

NEVER LOOK BACK! Liked it so much, traded in an 04 for this one. Ride could be quieter. Love the mileage of 42 with my lead foot. Have the loaded option package and would not do without any of the features. Navigation system is unbelievable! Interior room galore for full sized adults (I am 350, 6'). Exterior will scratch too easily but not too badly. Voice recognition needs improvment due to interior noise levels in traffic. I will never buy another gas only vehicle. Thanks Toyota.

NEW PURCHASE
By MORT on 01/05/05 17:06 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I PURCHASED THE CAR ABOUT THREE WEEKS AGO. SO FAR IT RUNS VERY WELL AND WE ARE HAPPY WITH IT. WE HOPE IT CONTINUES THIS WAY.

My Prius
By Mary Lou on 01/05/05 13:55 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After a nine month wait, I picked up my 2004 Prius in August of 2004. It was all that I expected and more. The gas mileage is the greatest. It's better in warmer weather than cold. There are little features that I'm constantly finding out about, such as all the hidden compartments. I love the environmental features. I found out the dashboard is made of bio plastic (from plant products) rather than petro plasic (made from oil products). I love all those environmental features such as the fact that the cars aluminum body, batteries etc. are recycleable. The batteries are not hazardous waste, they are NiMH batteries. It also has PZEV emmisions.

Awsome Prius
By Gfrank on 01/01/05 12:59 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Comfortable for five passengers Excellent fuel efficiency Surprisingly good power/ acceleration from a stop Even in the high country the battery pack and electric engine allow for driving at full highway speeds (70+ mph) Has been a joy to own

Got to Love that Car
By DGVL on 12/31/04 20:40 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the best car I have ever owned. It is everything they said it would be. My first gas tank gave 50 MPG. It's comfortable, has great pickup and is really fun to drive. I love the GPS system and although that was not a priority for me I am glad I have it and have used it several times. The voice recognition is sometimes a little unreliable but am finding a normal tone works best with it. One negative that I've encountered is the paint job. I had a dent that had to be pulled out and repainted and was told by the repair facility that it has a very thin layer of paint. Driving in the first snow fall and going up a hill, as long as I kept it slow and steady I didn't have a problem

Car of 2004 America & Car of 2005 EUROPE
By Puica C on 12/31/04 01:13 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Absolutely EXCELLENT! Car of 2004 in N America & Car of 2005 in Europe! YES! enjoy every minute driving this hi-tech jewel! (And other drivers peeping and pointing with their finger toward my new Prius!) Coming from Toyota RAV4, I found turning visibility a little obstructed by bottom corners of the front windshield. Also too bad those Edmund editors forget that Prius is a midsize sedan and comes with full side airbags …. (!) – HM! Why is that? Where is the verticality and credibility of Edmunds.com? Should I contact the Better Business Bureau or the managers?

I've become the house errand boy
By Dan on 12/29/04 02:42 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Pruis has turned fuel economy into a sport for me. Performance is more than satisfactory. And the display of current fuel efficiency sensitizes one to the effects of subtle changes in driving habits (e.g., easing off the accelerator well before coming to a stop sign). Over the course of three tanks of gas, I've gotten about 46 mpg. With practice, I hope to reach the 50 mpg mark. This thing is so much fun to drive that I've become the errand boy at our house.

Car of 2004 N America/Car of 2005 Europe
By HAPPY PRIUS OWNER! on 12/26/04 02:44 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Absolutely EXCELLENT! Car of 2004 in N America & Car of 2005 in Europe! YES!" Waited 8 months in line to get it, but deserves it, 100% Yes! I like one’s review on MSN: "Have owned BMW's, Honda's, Mazda's...this is by far the best. So good that I bought 2 of them." He/She is 100% right!

Fun to drive/own
By jdw174 on 12/12/04 12:45 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If I didn't have to tow a boat, I'd have bought two of these instead of just one. One of the most fun to drive cars, I look forward to the wife and I going out on weekends just so I get to drive it once in awhile. A lot of pep considering what's under the hood. We got the #5 package (loaded with everything) and it's really great. Even better when I have to stop for fuel. So far 1200 miles on $24 worth of gas. It needs to have deeper tint on the windows as the interior gets really warm in the sun.

Great car
By tarlos25 on 12/07/04 17:47 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When first researching this car, I was concerned that there would not be enough power. I drive through mountainous terrain, and especially with snow, it can be challenging on a vehicle. The Prius has held up wonderfully through mountains and snow. The OEM tires are bad in slick conditions, but that can be accounted for easily enough. Even with not driving perfectly and going through non-optimal conditions, the Prius is averaging 45 mpg. It's not a sports car, but has enough pick-up to merge directly into interstate traffic with no problem. The smart key system is awesome, I never have to take out my key. And I love how quiet it is.