Used 2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )

Like it!
By Dana

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a vehicle that is a surprise to all those who see it the first time. Then they sit in it and "wow" sets in. And, finally a ride that is quiet, smooth and comfortable has them sold on buying one - except, I'm not a salesman and don't have any to sell. But if I did, I could be a millionaire now.

Suggested Improvements

Move wiper lever further away from wheel, it is sometime tripped while reaching for the power button.

toyota prius
By kathy

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I LOVE my Prius.Not only does it live up to the fuel economy ratings but it is excellent for the environment with ultra low emissions. It has more head and leg room than my previous car (Camry) and is tons of fun to drive. I like the extra features like the hands free speaker phone with the controls on the steering wheel.I also like the added safety feature of having the controls for the sound system and air conditioning on the steering wheel. The navigation system is a bonus with my job in the home health care field! AND most importantly - I LOVE not having to fill it up as often as everyone else! It is also very quiet - a very low noise polluter too.

Favorite Features

paying less at the pump and knowing that I am reducing our dependence on foreign oil. I also appreciate the low environmental impact.

Suggested Improvements

I would recommend that the beeper signal that sounds when the car is in reverse be audible on the outside of the car. The car is so quiet that a child or pedestrian might not be aware of its presence.

Better than 50 MPG...Really!
By James Swisher

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is hard to get less than 45 MPG. Yes, you can if you tromp the gas at the stoplight and race up the steep hills. But for us normal drivers, 50 miles per gallon is a given. It sounds like a golf cart (ie. nothing) backing out of the garage. It shuts down the engine when you cruise at 55 and you are on level ground. It will cruise at 75 if you want it to. It shuts down the engine at stoplights. It RECOVERS ENERGY when you step on the brake. What an idea!

Favorite Features

The continuous computer readout of the gas mileage tells you what you are getting. Then when you pump in the gas and divide it out, you find out that it is entirely accurate! 50 to 53 MPG. It becomes a game you can play while driving to see if you can improve on the mileage you have already made

Suggested Improvements

There is a small blind spot behind and left of the driver, more than in other cars. The doorpost blocks your periferal view. Also, the split rear window takes some getting used to.

Travel In A Prius
By M.B. Cowen

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife, 60 lb. dog, and I drove to Chicago. and back to Florida through Knoxville, and The Smokies. During that time the temperature averaged 94, and we went through two significant rain storms. The Prius averaged 52 miles per gallon for the 2900 mile trip, got us up and down mountain roads and the highway with no problems, and performed on the road as well as the Lexus and Mercedes sedans we previously owned. What a great car.

Favorite Features

Economy, drive, style, Sci-fi futuristic gimmicks, pulling into a gas station to fill up with 4 1/2 gallons of gas.

Suggested Improvements

A convertible top Prius.

Prius owner's rating
By James Hodges

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our 2004 Prius is not as fuel-efficient as our 2001 Prius. We averaged 42 MPG+ on the 2001 and average 40 MPG on the 2004. We did average over 52 MPG on a trip to Colorado but that was downhill most of the way back. We use the air- conditioning in Southern California constantly and drive 70 MPH on freeways much of the time. Sometimes we can get up to 43 MPG on freeway trips of 50 miles or more but the around-town average is about 37-38 MPG. The rear window spoiler is a safety hazard for blind spots in traffic. Other than that it is a fine automobile. See the suggested improvements section for other complaints.

Favorite Features

Cruise control; consumption display; outside temperature display.

Suggested Improvements

Allow cruise control to function in the "B" position. Stop the reset feature of MPG at fill up. We would like to see our mileage on a 5000 mile trip. The radio should have preset buttons for Am & FM stations rather than having to mess with the audio display.