Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 611 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (611 reviews )

Prius 2005
By helene

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car in April, 2005 after 13- month wait. I was not disappointed. Car is everything claimed to be - fuel efficient (averages about 45 MPG), no repairs at all to date. This Prius is fully equipped with navigation system.

Fun to drive, love the navigation and screen with features.

Do not have darkened rearview mirrors - hard to get used to seeing out the back window - changes would improve both.

I got what I expected - a GOOD thing
By Mark

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned the vehicle for a month. I have been averaging 47 MPG in winter driving. It has started in the morning with no problem even at 20 below F. I switched to winter tires, all seasons are iffy but the car does very well with winter tires. I'm 6'4 and its a little snug, I keep hitting the CVT stick with my knee when I get in the car! The seats are not so comfortable but its fine for the kind of driving I do. Handling is secure and not very exciting. The wind throws the car around on the highway. Don't expect the thrill of a life when you drive it.. its a boring ride but gets you where you want to go without worries and pretty inexpensively.

Gas mileage is great. Perfect car for bringing the kids around to all their in town events, winter starting, quiet ride. Great stereo. Lots of cubbies for storage. My expectation is that it will be a reliable car that I can keep for many years. I feel good about helping the environment.

Its really really boring to drive, everything for CVT to handling. Better seating position would be appreciated, improve mileage for the first 5 to 10 minutes in cold weather driving. Very hard to see out the back when driving in reverse. Get rid of the beeping sound when in reverse

80,000 miles and counting
By Professor Fred

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have over 80,000 miles on our Prius and only bought new tires and oil/filter changes.We have owned over a dozen new vehicles from Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Dodge and Chrysler and this is the BEST vehicle we've owned. Read more comments on the interior room (my son-in-law is 6'4" and has more than enough room in the back seat. I have six houses and have hauled 8 foot 2x4's in it and even stoves and clothes dryers. I was in a national test in the "early years" and the mpg was 50.9 for the first two years of driving. It is doing well and I smile each time we fill it up. Can't wait for the 2010 to get 60+ mpg.

Roomy interior, sleek styling, bluetooth phone and touch screen.

Plug-in 100 mpg is my goal,

What's not to love?
By Barbara

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven this car from Eastern Iowa to central CO where I now live. We don't gas up until Kearney, NE and not again until be arrive home (over 900 miles). Just drove to WI and averaged over 50 mpg. If it is very windy that will be slightly lower. Have put bicycles and camping gear in the back. The orig. tires weren't so hot so now it has Nokians which are great going up snowy mountains and hills without a problem. Everyone who rides in it is impressed by its quality + comfort. They are amazed by how many miles I get on one tank. Wouldn't have anything else and will get another in one or two years.

Gas mileage (drive to Denver and get 60 mpg), smart key, navigation system which is a safety feature for me when in a city, controls on steering. Love looking straight ahead over the steering wheel to read my speed without having to glance away from the road.

Improve the substance that covers the glove box etc. That and the upholstery fabric may be better since I bought mine.

We love our Prius - especially w/ $4 gas
By tim

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love our Prius - great hauling capacity with hatch and flip-down rear seats. We are especially glad that we own it since gas is now over $4 a gallon.

Mileage - interior cargo room.

Back seat headroom is lacking for anyone over 6 feet tall. Though plenty of leg room all around.