Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )

We love our Prius - especially w/ $4 gas
By tim

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love our Prius - great hauling capacity with hatch and flip-down rear seats. We are especially glad that we own it since gas is now over $4 a gallon.

Favorite Features

Mileage - interior cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat headroom is lacking for anyone over 6 feet tall. Though plenty of leg room all around.

Love it, but...
By john wish

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the car but I have three minor concerns: 1. GPS/information video screen is very difficult to see in bright sun. A small design change of tilting the screen some 15-20 degrees would help. 2. road noise on certain kinds of roads. Needs more insulation? 3. I'd like something like the On-Star system for automatic crash notification.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage info screen on current gas mileage (makes me drive with a lighter foot. (:-)

Suggested Improvements

see above

Simply Glorius!
By brenda.spencer

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've never rated anything ALL 10s before. That sums up the Prius experience for me, and I hope it will encourage you to "go for it." You will not be disappointed in any way, if you are deciding whether or not to buy one.

Favorite Features

SmartKey: To never have to take it out of your pocket or purse is a convenience that suits me to a T.

Suggested Improvements

I've read about that electric mode (EV) only . Maybe the US market would want that too. I'm not going to "aftermarket it" though. Don't want to run the risk of damaging something.

53 MPG
By lraisch

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After one year and a total of 70,000 miles, this car has had zero problems. Gas mileage averages between 50 and 53 mpg. Anyone who expected to get the old EPA estimate of 60 was naive. The car comes with an amazing amount of equipment (mine is package 4) for the price and has been a joy to own. The hybrid performance is almost totally transparent to the driver and the power is adequate. This is not a sports car and handling is not it's strong suit, also the car is nervous in cross winds. These are minor issues though. Comfort, quiet operation, high tech goodies and great mileage. I drive the car for service calls all day and couldn't be more pleased. Thanks, Toyota!

Favorite Features

Mileage!! Stereo, voice command system, Bluetooth, AC/heating, roomy, comfortable, quiet, surprising power. Great brake life with regen. braking.

Suggested Improvements

More durable finish on interior panels, OEM tires only lasted 25k, aftermarket tires are at 55k and going strong.

After 3 yrs - we bought a second Prius
By sergelbergeron

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had our 2005 Prius for over 3 years now and it performs just like new. We bought another one - a 2008 package 5 in October and they both ride the same even though the 2005 has 50,000 miles. I live in Canada and in the winter it is also a charm. Absolutely no problem with battery. Starts at -40 degrees, etc. It is an excellent vehicle.

Favorite Features

The diplay screen and the gas milleage. My fun is to beat my MPG record, around 64 mpg one tank.

Suggested Improvements

The back-up beeper is annoying. Some reflection on the windsheild at night from the dash lights when very dark outside, like driving in the country.