2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (606 reviews )
Love My Prius
By Denise on 05/26/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have very much enjoyed owning and driving my Prius. It is responsive, zippy and quiet. It's going on two years old and still feels new to me. I've had a couple warranty items fixed: the windshield washer jets (they weren't spraying properly) and the locking component for the glove box (the finish chipped off). It's reliable and comfortable regardless if you're small or tall. I chose Package 4 which has the Vehicle Stability Control and side front and rear airbags. I love the safety features.

I love this car!!
By Orracle on 04/28/07 13:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I haven't been in love with a car since my 69 Mustang in high school. It has totally changed my driving habits. Now, instead of trying to get from point A to B as fast as possible, I try to get the best mileage. I love the space in the cargo area and for me it is a very comfortable ride.

Prius - luxury comparable to BMW
By Steve Boyd on 04/12/07 23:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

40k miles thus far. No mechanical problems whatsoever. 44 to 47 MPG in the winter, and 49 to 51 in the summer. I have package 6. I think this car compares more to a BMW rather than the cheaper economy cars that we hear the media make comparisons to when speaking of the overall cost of the vehicle. This is the most luxurious car I've owned but I'm still waiting for a plug-in PHEV. Technology is there for a Prius that gets 100 to 200 mpg, but Toyota has spent a ton of money on marketing campaign for this no plug-in hybrid. GMC claims it will release it's own plug-in with mileage in this range in 2010. When that happens, I'll drop my Prius like a ton of bricks. Until then, GO PRIUS!

Pros & cons
By dehaas5 on 04/11/07 21:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just got in a head-on accident in our 2005 Prius. The car's "crumple zones" performed perfectly keeping the engine out of the interior, greatly reducing injuries. However, one of the rear seat belts did not "grab" sending my son flying into the back of the seat in front of him resulting in head injuries. Also, the gas mileage was never at 60 mpg as touted. Even with conservative driving (slightly letting off the gas) the best we could maintain was about 46 mpg. Also, the interier dash finish rubbed off easily and seats needed better fabric. Even with these flaws, we are considering re-buying, because other features worked great,it was very dependable and improvded exterior styling.

Great Drive
By Buddy on 04/10/07 11:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is great on long trips in fuel economy, comfort and performance. It will keep up with the best on the highway.

Purview of the Prius
By bowhunter on 02/20/07 14:47 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was intrigued by the technology of the Prius and other Hybrid vehicles. After owning other Toyota vehicles and the dependability I have had, it was a given that I wanted the Toyota brand of a Hybrid. I am not sorry that I purchased this vehicle. The performance, agility, and dependability of this vehicle assures me that I made the right decision in sticking with Toyota. Even with mileage not at EPA predicitons, I cannot complain at what I average. Comfort is great and the ride feels like what the Camry delivers.

Worse car I've ever owned
By Rangita on 02/20/07 08:54 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just sold mine at carmax. My Prius started to fall apart after two years and 55000 miles on it. The engine is great but the body part is the worst one you can have. Mine was loaded with full options because I was thinking it's going to be our family car but I started to have problems after 18 months of use. I'm glad to get rid of it.

Love my Prius
By T on 01/19/07 11:55 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Prius and would recommend one to anyone who asks. I went fron spending 75 dollars a week to 28. I also feel a great sense of satisfaction from knowing that I am not contributing to the emissions gases. My one wish is that the gas mileage was even better. When it goes up - I'm trading this one in and jumping. I average about 45 mpg (48 in summer).

Prius
By Brandi on 01/15/07 16:35 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love, love, love my Prius, wouldn't change anything about it. I highly recommend one to anybody considering a hybrid.

Love It, Love It, Love It
By Amy K. on 01/09/07 20:24 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In the two years that I've owned my Prius, it has exceeded all my expectations. Having previously owned three fairly high-end SUVs, I expected to feel cramped in the Prius. On the contrary, I've found it extremely comfortable to drive, there is room when necessary for four passengers and my two dogs, and with the back seats laid down, there's plenty of room for over-sized items like small furniture. My husband was sure I'd miss the luxuries of my other cars, but that proved wrong, too. The GPS and other in-dash or steering wheel features are great, and it does not have the "empty shell" feeling of other compact cars. I also expected not much power, but pick-up on hills and onramps is fine.