Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 611 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (611 reviews )

My Baby
By Drea

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought his car at 5 years old with only 29,000 miles on it. I have been very happy with it in the 7 months I have owned it. True, it can be a little noisy but that has never bothered any of my conversations. I love driving a hybrid and how smooth and quiet it is on the battery. The gas is good, we get about 45 MPG. It is very roomy, my 6'6" brother can sit comfortably in the back seat while the people in the front have leg room too! The digital speedometer right in the drivers line of sight helps me keep my speed under control and I feel so safe in a car with side curtain airbags. Seats are fine, read some negative reviews about them but I have napped just fine on them. LOVE TOYOTA!

Controls on steering wheel, bluetooth, smart key (the only time I need the key is when I am walking away locking the car), cover that hides my trunk contents, MPG, the good feeling I get owning a car that doesn't pollute.

My GPS is out of date and Toyota charges $300 for the DVD to update it, I could by two portable Garmin Nuvi GPS for that price! When moving, you can't use most of the navigator features, I wish Toyota would enable it when a passenger in the front seat. turning radius could be better.

Commuter Car
By ec135

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius is the best car I have owned. Purchased new, currently 145,000 miles, the finish looks new when waxed, quality of construction is like new, and it still gets 50+ miles per gallon on a talk of gas (89). Only replaced tires, lights, and a water pump at 115K. My complaint is the $300 headlights. If the car sets the wrong image for you, put an NRA sticker in the window and enjoy passing gas stations.

The displays, quality of construction, finish looks like new when waxed, and handles well with a good set of tires.

$300 headlights.

Ouch, what a feeling!
By Former Prius Lover

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought pre-owned in 07 with 70K. Now have 205K. Accident, replaced HID headlight went out 2 weeks after warranty expired. Quoted $565 to replace! Now the brake ECU have gone and they want $2675 to replace or I can take my chances crashing into a tree! Toyota Customer Care is worse than useless; I feel like taking a shower after talking to them to get rid of the slime! Any fuel savings have been wiped out by the outrageous cost of repair and service. Their dealerships aren't built like palaces from proceeds from recycling soda cans! Never again, Toyota! The new Fiesta is supposed to get 40 mpg highway without using golden flux capacitors!

It was neat getting 45 mpg until the repair bills started piling up.

Treat your customers like you want to keep them. I make sure everyone I know is aware of the outrageous expense of repairs to the Prius. You slipped to #21 in the JD Power quality survey for a reason!

1st Day - GREAT!
By So-Cal Driver

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I have only had our Prius for exactly 1 day! We did a TON of research and car shopping before we bought this car and I was skeptical at first, but it has definitely lived up to the hype. 46.7 mph on the first drive to work, clean, I love the silence when you stop at a light and during parking and backing up, acceleration is not a problem AT ALL! Coming from 93 Honda Accord this thing is a beauty. Enjoy your vehicle!

46 mpg, silence while stopped, car works like a computer

I like a typical gear shifter better...

Issues with 05 prius you should know
By 2005 prius

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After purchasing my 05 prius with factory navigation and HID headlights, package 6 I believe. Just be aware that all 04 and 05 had the ugly painted door panels and dash, I strongly would avoid these if you can get the 06 and newer. the paint has peeled off on these parts. I went to a prius dismantler and purchased all the door panels and dash parts from a 08 prius to do the swap, so much nicer. The second and biggest issue is the HID headlight bulbs, they just shut off while you use them . The best solution is replace them with aftermarket HID bulbs, do not use the factory Toyota bulbs, they will go out again. Numerous owners have had this issue, ballast is not the problem, it's the bulbs.

of course gas mileage, reliability with the exception of the HID, non HID models prius with halogen headlights are fine.

Dealerships should own up to the problematic HID bulbs going out, it is quite obvious that numerous people have complained about it. Instead of playing like, we never had or heard of such a problem, but if your car is still under warrantee we would cover that repair, common Toyota?