2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (606 reviews )
Love it, but...
By john wish on 06/25/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the car but I have three minor concerns: 1. GPS/information video screen is very difficult to see in bright sun. A small design change of tilting the screen some 15-20 degrees would help. 2. road noise on certain kinds of roads. Needs more insulation? 3. I'd like something like the On-Star system for automatic crash notification.

Simply Glorius!
By brenda.spencer on 06/12/08 17:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've never rated anything ALL 10s before. That sums up the Prius experience for me, and I hope it will encourage you to "go for it." You will not be disappointed in any way, if you are deciding whether or not to buy one.

53 MPG
By lraisch on 06/08/08 12:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After one year and a total of 70,000 miles, this car has had zero problems. Gas mileage averages between 50 and 53 mpg. Anyone who expected to get the old EPA estimate of 60 was naive. The car comes with an amazing amount of equipment (mine is package 4) for the price and has been a joy to own. The hybrid performance is almost totally transparent to the driver and the power is adequate. This is not a sports car and handling is not it's strong suit, also the car is nervous in cross winds. These are minor issues though. Comfort, quiet operation, high tech goodies and great mileage. I drive the car for service calls all day and couldn't be more pleased. Thanks, Toyota!

After 3 yrs - we bought a second Prius
By sergelbergeron on 05/03/08 06:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had our 2005 Prius for over 3 years now and it performs just like new. We bought another one - a 2008 package 5 in October and they both ride the same even though the 2005 has 50,000 miles. I live in Canada and in the winter it is also a charm. Absolutely no problem with battery. Starts at -40 degrees, etc. It is an excellent vehicle.

Love our Prius
By Sher on 04/26/08 05:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driving our Prius has been an inspiring experience; it's given my family a new appreciation for our environment. It's allowing us the opportunity to move towards a 'greener' lifestyle. Performance is great, our Prius has pickup, zip and responds well in each situation we've put it through.

Love My Prius
By Ed on 04/23/08 09:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Others can give technical reviews - I will just say I drive a LOT (36k/yr) and switched from a GS300 Lexus (sports sedan) to the Prius, and it has been wonderful! Excellent mileage is a given (45-47 on all roads, all weather). I drive faster than I should so slowing down would eke out 3-4 more mpg. Interior is very well-designed. Displays are different from American cars, much more efficient and user- friendly, and the display info is amazing. NO REPAIRS YET at 105,000 miles!! I have had many cars and all needd repairs before 100k miles, except the Prius. Of course I needed new tires, oil changes, maintenance. Handles well, easy to turn/park, love the hatchback.

Bonnie's Lean, Green, Clean Machine!
By Bonnie C on 04/21/08 08:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my lean, green, clean machine so much that I racked on over 64,000 miles in 3 yrs. I live in ski resort mountains and travel with my 5 person family. I really put this car to the test! I usually get 45 mpg in the winter, 50 in spring/fall, and 55-65 all summer. These numbers are a packed car (500+ lbs of psgrs) and mountain travel. The numbers depend on the driver. If my lead-footed husband takes my car, he only gets 42-45 mpg. The only problem that I had in 3 yrs is that the gas door started to stick, but my husband lubricated it and bent something and it is fixed. Gas prices being what they are, my Prius literally makes its own loan pmt in gas savings each mo! What a pleasure!

I'll always own a hybrid!
By Always hybrid! on 04/19/08 07:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had previously owned a hybrid civic. The Prius gets better mileage and is more versatile with cargo (the seats fold down for entire back storage). The Prius is comfortable to drive and ride in, with easy maneuverability, too!

2nd best car I ever owned
By yat993 on 02/06/08 14:43 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With 75000 miles after a late 2005 purchase, I have had zero problems with this car. Gas mileage average is probably 48 -- never less than 45 -- often above 50, and this is mostly city driving. Oh yea, my number 1 favorite car was my 1995 Porsche 911 convertible -- I actually used the proceeds from the sale of that car to purchase the Prius.

This car works for a living.
By John L on 12/27/07 08:29 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Other than standard maintenance, this car has had zero problems. Performance is considerably better than expected in all categories.