Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )

Issues with 05 prius you should know
By 2005 prius

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After purchasing my 05 prius with factory navigation and HID headlights, package 6 I believe. Just be aware that all 04 and 05 had the ugly painted door panels and dash, I strongly would avoid these if you can get the 06 and newer. the paint has peeled off on these parts. I went to a prius dismantler and purchased all the door panels and dash parts from a 08 prius to do the swap, so much nicer. The second and biggest issue is the HID headlight bulbs, they just shut off while you use them . The best solution is replace them with aftermarket HID bulbs, do not use the factory Toyota bulbs, they will go out again. Numerous owners have had this issue, ballast is not the problem, it's the bulbs.

Favorite Features

of course gas mileage, reliability with the exception of the HID, non HID models prius with halogen headlights are fine.

Suggested Improvements

Dealerships should own up to the problematic HID bulbs going out, it is quite obvious that numerous people have complained about it. Instead of playing like, we never had or heard of such a problem, but if your car is still under warrantee we would cover that repair, common Toyota?

Question on Electronics
By Becky

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Yesterday, I hit the wrong button, pushed Power instead of Park. This morning, it took three tries to get started, and any time I park on a slant, it really doesn't want to start. It's my fault, but the dealer can't find anything wrong with the electronics. Other than that, it's been wonderful to drive and I do a lot of that!

Favorite Features

Guages under the dash where the sun doesn't wash them out.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a little bit better sound package in terms of road noise.

BEST CAR I EVER OWNED
By Russ

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What can I say? This is absolutely the best car I have ever owned. After 78000+ miles we will be trading for a new 2010 next week. The trade in value makes it possible to get a new model for almost half price. We have enjoyed many trips in our Prius and had fun playing with beating our mileage. Our best was 610 miles on one tank full. (about 11 gal as we still had some left). I never new how much cargo a hatch back could hold until we loaded up our Prius, because of the ability to lay the seats flat, I can haul almost as much as my other car an SUV.

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity, safety features, stealth mode driving.

Suggested Improvements

Plusher interior options. More models.

The perfect car
By Dave

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. I've gone 150K miles and it's still brand new; original tires being the only problem so far. I paid it off last year so, normally, I'd buy a new car. But I'd only get another Prius, so why? My only worry is the battery. It's covered to 150K; but nobody seems to know how long it will last. So far I've replace nothing! And the brakes are still great! I Love This Car!

Prius running strong
By Pilot

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you can tolerate slow acceleration, the Prius is a great car. In warmer weather mine can get 50+ mpg on a tank of gas after 117,000 miles. I have only replaced a water pump and tires during regular 5K service intervals. I have driven 400 averaging 60 mph and it still gets 43 mpg! The Prius struggles in very hilly areas but if you are patient you can make up for it on the downhill. It even handles well with the set of Michelins that are on it now.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage. That is what it does best.

Suggested Improvements

Put a diesel engine in it.