Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )
Issues with 05 prius you should know
By 2005 prius on 06/11/10 10:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After purchasing my 05 prius with factory navigation and HID headlights, package 6 I believe. Just be aware that all 04 and 05 had the ugly painted door panels and dash, I strongly would avoid these if you can get the 06 and newer. the paint has peeled off on these parts. I went to a prius dismantler and purchased all the door panels and dash parts from a 08 prius to do the swap, so much nicer. The second and biggest issue is the HID headlight bulbs, they just shut off while you use them . The best solution is replace them with aftermarket HID bulbs, do not use the factory Toyota bulbs, they will go out again. Numerous owners have had this issue, ballast is not the problem, it's the bulbs.

Question on Electronics
By Becky on 04/13/10 12:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Yesterday, I hit the wrong button, pushed Power instead of Park. This morning, it took three tries to get started, and any time I park on a slant, it really doesn't want to start. It's my fault, but the dealer can't find anything wrong with the electronics. Other than that, it's been wonderful to drive and I do a lot of that!

BEST CAR I EVER OWNED
By Russ on 01/14/10 13:15 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What can I say? This is absolutely the best car I have ever owned. After 78000+ miles we will be trading for a new 2010 next week. The trade in value makes it possible to get a new model for almost half price. We have enjoyed many trips in our Prius and had fun playing with beating our mileage. Our best was 610 miles on one tank full. (about 11 gal as we still had some left). I never new how much cargo a hatch back could hold until we loaded up our Prius, because of the ability to lay the seats flat, I can haul almost as much as my other car an SUV.

The perfect car
By Dave on 09/20/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. I've gone 150K miles and it's still brand new; original tires being the only problem so far. I paid it off last year so, normally, I'd buy a new car. But I'd only get another Prius, so why? My only worry is the battery. It's covered to 150K; but nobody seems to know how long it will last. So far I've replace nothing! And the brakes are still great! I Love This Car!

Prius running strong
By Pilot on 07/01/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you can tolerate slow acceleration, the Prius is a great car. In warmer weather mine can get 50+ mpg on a tank of gas after 117,000 miles. I have only replaced a water pump and tires during regular 5K service intervals. I have driven 400 averaging 60 mph and it still gets 43 mpg! The Prius struggles in very hilly areas but if you are patient you can make up for it on the downhill. It even handles well with the set of Michelins that are on it now.

Greatest thing since sliced bread
By Ron on 04/16/09 04:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have 64K miles and have only replaced tires & wiper blades. I average 52 MPG, mostly driven at 50-55 mph. There is a learning curve to getting good MPG. I use the cruise control all the time, even in city driving. It works down to 24 MPH! Consistent speed is the key. The ride and handling is great. Fun car to drive. I'm getting another this year.

Prius 2005
By helene on 03/18/09 07:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car in April, 2005 after 13- month wait. I was not disappointed. Car is everything claimed to be - fuel efficient (averages about 45 MPG), no repairs at all to date. This Prius is fully equipped with navigation system.

I got what I expected - a GOOD thing
By Mark on 02/16/09 18:43 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned the vehicle for a month. I have been averaging 47 MPG in winter driving. It has started in the morning with no problem even at 20 below F. I switched to winter tires, all seasons are iffy but the car does very well with winter tires. I'm 6'4 and its a little snug, I keep hitting the CVT stick with my knee when I get in the car! The seats are not so comfortable but its fine for the kind of driving I do. Handling is secure and not very exciting. The wind throws the car around on the highway. Don't expect the thrill of a life when you drive it.. its a boring ride but gets you where you want to go without worries and pretty inexpensively.

80,000 miles and counting
By Professor Fred on 11/04/08 12:05 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have over 80,000 miles on our Prius and only bought new tires and oil/filter changes.We have owned over a dozen new vehicles from Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Dodge and Chrysler and this is the BEST vehicle we've owned. Read more comments on the interior room (my son-in-law is 6'4" and has more than enough room in the back seat. I have six houses and have hauled 8 foot 2x4's in it and even stoves and clothes dryers. I was in a national test in the "early years" and the mpg was 50.9 for the first two years of driving. It is doing well and I smile each time we fill it up. Can't wait for the 2010 to get 60+ mpg.

What's not to love?
By Barbara on 08/03/08 17:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven this car from Eastern Iowa to central CO where I now live. We don't gas up until Kearney, NE and not again until be arrive home (over 900 miles). Just drove to WI and averaged over 50 mpg. If it is very windy that will be slightly lower. Have put bicycles and camping gear in the back. The orig. tires weren't so hot so now it has Nokians which are great going up snowy mountains and hills without a problem. Everyone who rides in it is impressed by its quality + comfort. They are amazed by how many miles I get on one tank. Wouldn't have anything else and will get another in one or two years.