Used 2005 Toyota Prius Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 611 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (611 reviews )

DEPENDABLE GREAT CAR, GREAT VALUE
By Ruth Cope

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has been serviced regularly, kept up and all standard repairs for good maintenance completed. Wanting to trade it in because of age, not performance and want some of the technological advantages of newer car, such as bluetooth, built-in gps, safety features.

Couldn't be happier
By Roberta Gold

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great, reliable car with awesome mileage. On average I get 42, but I do a lot of short city trips. On the highway it's 50. Comfortable to drive, powerful enough. Never had a mechanical problem with it.

What a great little car!
By Delbert Burgess

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The only complaints . . . we have four . . . the headlights cost over $200 each to replace, the update disk for the GPS is outrageously expensive (so we have never, and probably never will, update it - can't afford to), the sun visors are very small and don't (but could) have an extension so they are practically useless for the side window, and there are no USB ports in the 2005 model.

great car
By gart pres

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

i have a 2005 pirus with 380, miles still running strong always change my oil at 3000 miles and never changed the battery.

Loved it enough to buy another Prius!
By britbug

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased a used 2005 Prius 2 years ago ($8500) with 81K miles. It now has 120K miles & I just traded it in (got $4,250 for the trade) for a 2010 Prius ($14,900). The hybrid battery was replaced by the last owner under warranty at 79K. The A/C compressor broke last year, the evaporator broke this year. I am just writing it off as a fluke though, & bought another Prius because I loved it so much & expect Toyota to only get better with this design. I could get 64mpg with fuel efficient tires & if I was trying, but averaged 50mpg with cheap tires and when I wasn't trying. I loved the luxury features in an affordable car & loved the hatchback style that I could fit anything in.

Never having to dig for the key in my car to lock it, start it, or unlock it. I could fit 3 dogs in the back with the seats folded down. I even transported like 800lbs of concrete once, right at the limit. Loved trying to get the best MPG, loved educating and wowing haters when I told them the MPG it got and the price I bought it for. Loved the touch screen and the controls on the steering wheel. The headlights were super bright. I love how much storage space there was everywhere. I was always comfortable in the car, although I did get a back support thing because I drive so much. I loved EVERYTHING except the cost of repairs.

I only wish I could go to normal mechanics and shops instead of only Toyota for service because it is so expensive to get repairs done. I wish the compressor and evaporator never broke and I wish they would make it easier to repair things. Everything seemed to require a complete disassembly .