2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (606 reviews )
Very reliable hybrid
By jadziasman on 03/15/14 04:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Second owner. Extremely reliable. Driven for 82K miles, Has 217K miles now. Package 6 nearly all available options installed. Except for three necessary repairs (HID headlight leveling sensor, HV inverter electric water pump, and gasoline engine water pump) no mechanical problems. Uses a quart of oil every 3000 miles or less depending on average speed driven. Traction battery still works. Every light, switch, sensor, etc still function. Original brakes and suspension. Fuel tank capacity varies considerably with ambient temp. Only holds about 8 gallons when temp is less than 20 deg F and holds about 11 gallons when temp is over 80 deg F. Road noise an issue on concrete hwys.

Great car until the hybrid battery pack failed at 109k
By armory on 01/13/13 10:00 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought used with 58k miles. Car is extremely quiet. Car gets around 48mpg after changing your driving habits. You can fill up the gas tank for about $35. Changing the oil is easy b/c the oil filter is attached at the very bottom of the engine and nothing is below it. My hybrid battery died at 109k miles. This is a $3500 repair at Toyota. I would not have bought a Prius if I would have known the battery would not last longer. I replaced the battery pack myself with a refurbished one from priusrebuilders.com for about $1000 and sold the car. Money saved in gas was used to pay for repair. A Prius sitting and not being driven is the number 1 reason for battery packs not lasting.

Very reliable and economical!
By 3angelsfly on 12/17/11 17:22 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We now have 145,000 miles on our Prius and it has no mechanical problems and drives as good as it did when I purchased it with 67k. Still getting 45 mpg, and I don't drive easy. Cannot find a better car out there for the money and cost of ownership. Have done basic maintenance--oil changes, spark plagues, air filter, trans fluid, and a new 12V battery, and tires. Only thing that stopped working was the cd changer, but we use an ipod through the tape deck anyway. Still using original headlight bulbs, and brakes. Car handles well; very easy to drive, very good in snow and ice. Unfortunately, the car does not have comfortable seats, and is not sporty or fun to drive for a young man.

Very good to a point
By 72randy on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car had been perfect until a few weeks ago. With about 80,000 miles on it a warning light went on and we were told by a dealer it was due to the failure of part of the computer system to the tune of $2230. We've had six other Toyotas and have never had a major problem. With such low mileage, how can we continue to recommend this car to others? We're very angry being oldsters trying to navigate this economy with SSA and part time work. Disgusted.

Fun Drive-To The Poorhouse
By Joe on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car! Runs as well today as it did 1st day I bought it! The issue is maintenance costs, which are considerable IF you don't do your own maintenance! We've had no recalls, no repair under warranty, BUT the maintenance costs to-date approach $5000! That breaks down to about ($995/mo to be exact!) $3900 more than my 12 yr old pickup that I drive everyday! Ask to see the maintenance schedule & visit the repair shop and checkout the listed maintenance schedule prices! A REAL EYE OPENER! Oh, if I only knew then what I know now! OUCH!

My Baby
By Drea on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought his car at 5 years old with only 29,000 miles on it. I have been very happy with it in the 7 months I have owned it. True, it can be a little noisy but that has never bothered any of my conversations. I love driving a hybrid and how smooth and quiet it is on the battery. The gas is good, we get about 45 MPG. It is very roomy, my 6'6" brother can sit comfortably in the back seat while the people in the front have leg room too! The digital speedometer right in the drivers line of sight helps me keep my speed under control and I feel so safe in a car with side curtain airbags. Seats are fine, read some negative reviews about them but I have napped just fine on them. LOVE TOYOTA!

Commuter Car
By ec135 on 07/04/10 09:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius is the best car I have owned. Purchased new, currently 145,000 miles, the finish looks new when waxed, quality of construction is like new, and it still gets 50+ miles per gallon on a talk of gas (89). Only replaced tires, lights, and a water pump at 115K. My complaint is the $300 headlights. If the car sets the wrong image for you, put an NRA sticker in the window and enjoy passing gas stations.

Ouch, what a feeling!
By Former Prius Lover on 06/21/10 18:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought pre-owned in 07 with 70K. Now have 205K. Accident, replaced HID headlight went out 2 weeks after warranty expired. Quoted $565 to replace! Now the brake ECU have gone and they want $2675 to replace or I can take my chances crashing into a tree! Toyota Customer Care is worse than useless; I feel like taking a shower after talking to them to get rid of the slime! Any fuel savings have been wiped out by the outrageous cost of repair and service. Their dealerships aren't built like palaces from proceeds from recycling soda cans! Never again, Toyota! The new Fiesta is supposed to get 40 mpg highway without using golden flux capacitors!

1st Day - GREAT!
By So-Cal Driver on 06/16/10 07:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I have only had our Prius for exactly 1 day! We did a TON of research and car shopping before we bought this car and I was skeptical at first, but it has definitely lived up to the hype. 46.7 mph on the first drive to work, clean, I love the silence when you stop at a light and during parking and backing up, acceleration is not a problem AT ALL! Coming from 93 Honda Accord this thing is a beauty. Enjoy your vehicle!

Issues with 05 prius you should know
By 2005 prius on 06/11/10 10:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After purchasing my 05 prius with factory navigation and HID headlights, package 6 I believe. Just be aware that all 04 and 05 had the ugly painted door panels and dash, I strongly would avoid these if you can get the 06 and newer. the paint has peeled off on these parts. I went to a prius dismantler and purchased all the door panels and dash parts from a 08 prius to do the swap, so much nicer. The second and biggest issue is the HID headlight bulbs, they just shut off while you use them . The best solution is replace them with aftermarket HID bulbs, do not use the factory Toyota bulbs, they will go out again. Numerous owners have had this issue, ballast is not the problem, it's the bulbs.