Used 2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )

Loved it enough to buy another Prius!
By britbug

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased a used 2005 Prius 2 years ago ($8500) with 81K miles. It now has 120K miles & I just traded it in (got $4,250 for the trade) for a 2010 Prius ($14,900). The hybrid battery was replaced by the last owner under warranty at 79K. The A/C compressor broke last year, the evaporator broke this year. I am just writing it off as a fluke though, & bought another Prius because I loved it so much & expect Toyota to only get better with this design. I could get 64mpg with fuel efficient tires & if I was trying, but averaged 50mpg with cheap tires and when I wasn't trying. I loved the luxury features in an affordable car & loved the hatchback style that I could fit anything in.

Never having to dig for the key in my car to lock it, start it, or unlock it. I could fit 3 dogs in the back with the seats folded down. I even transported like 800lbs of concrete once, right at the limit. Loved trying to get the best MPG, loved educating and wowing haters when I told them the MPG it got and the price I bought it for. Loved the touch screen and the controls on the steering wheel. The headlights were super bright. I love how much storage space there was everywhere. I was always comfortable in the car, although I did get a back support thing because I drive so much. I loved EVERYTHING except the cost of repairs.

I only wish I could go to normal mechanics and shops instead of only Toyota for service because it is so expensive to get repairs done. I wish the compressor and evaporator never broke and I wish they would make it easier to repair things. Everything seemed to require a complete disassembly .

Very reliable hybrid
By jadziasman

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Second owner. Extremely reliable. Driven for 82K miles, Has 217K miles now. Package 6 nearly all available options installed. Except for three necessary repairs (HID headlight leveling sensor, HV inverter electric water pump, and gasoline engine water pump) no mechanical problems. Uses a quart of oil every 3000 miles or less depending on average speed driven. Traction battery still works. Every light, switch, sensor, etc still function. Original brakes and suspension. Fuel tank capacity varies considerably with ambient temp. Only holds about 8 gallons when temp is less than 20 deg F and holds about 11 gallons when temp is over 80 deg F. Road noise an issue on concrete hwys.

Fuel economy 47 mpg average year round in SE Michigan. Engine shuts off when stopped. Roomy interior. Lots of small storage spaces. Smart key and push button start 100% reliable. Bluetooth phone works well. Premium audio system works well but sound quality suffers because of speaker size and placement. HID headlights are excellent. Easy to do regular maintenance. Brake life - still haven't replaced pads, shoes, rotors, or drums. Automatic climate control.

Great car until the hybrid battery pack failed at 109k
By armory

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought used with 58k miles. Car is extremely quiet. Car gets around 48mpg after changing your driving habits. You can fill up the gas tank for about $35. Changing the oil is easy b/c the oil filter is attached at the very bottom of the engine and nothing is below it. My hybrid battery died at 109k miles. This is a $3500 repair at Toyota. I would not have bought a Prius if I would have known the battery would not last longer. I replaced the battery pack myself with a refurbished one from priusrebuilders.com for about $1000 and sold the car. Money saved in gas was used to pay for repair. A Prius sitting and not being driven is the number 1 reason for battery packs not lasting.

Gas mileage, interior room, interior quietness.

Increase longevity of hybrid battery pack, decrease price of parts, make car easier to work on for the DIYer instead of forcing use to take it to the dealership. You can search and find where owners use a scan tool and hook it up and it can cause another code to appear and you have to take the car to Toyota to have the code reset. If you try to change the front brake pads and push the caliper piston down to install the new pads, it can set off a trouble code which you have to have Toyota reset for you. You cannot get a lot of parts from your local parts stores for example: A/C compressor. Car has over 14 computers and most of them are over $1000 if they need to be replaced.

Very reliable and economical!
By 3angelsfly

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We now have 145,000 miles on our Prius and it has no mechanical problems and drives as good as it did when I purchased it with 67k. Still getting 45 mpg, and I don't drive easy. Cannot find a better car out there for the money and cost of ownership. Have done basic maintenance--oil changes, spark plagues, air filter, trans fluid, and a new 12V battery, and tires. Only thing that stopped working was the cd changer, but we use an ipod through the tape deck anyway. Still using original headlight bulbs, and brakes. Car handles well; very easy to drive, very good in snow and ice. Unfortunately, the car does not have comfortable seats, and is not sporty or fun to drive for a young man.

-- Fuel Mileage! -- Roominess ( I can get 8.5 foot lumber in the car when I fold the seats down!), back seat passengers have plenty of knee and head room. -- Practicality--lots of cubby holes and cup holders. -- Reliability--no complaints at all. -- My wife likes it! -- JBL sound system is awesome -- Hid lights -- Smart Key

-- Elimante rattles and squeaks--the car does have annoying dash rattles that I have fixed by jamming paper in between the cracks. -- Make the seats more comfortable and adjustable -- especially for the driver. -- Needs more power when climbing mountains after the battery drains down. (2011 Prius has more power) -- Dealer charged way too much for 12 volt battery $170

Very good to a point
By 72randy

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car had been perfect until a few weeks ago. With about 80,000 miles on it a warning light went on and we were told by a dealer it was due to the failure of part of the computer system to the tune of $2230. We've had six other Toyotas and have never had a major problem. With such low mileage, how can we continue to recommend this car to others? We're very angry being oldsters trying to navigate this economy with SSA and part time work. Disgusted.