2004 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Fun car, looking forward to PH

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Fun car, looking forward to PHEV or EV
By yohan on

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

After more than six months, the only problem I've had with my 2004 Prius is a dead battery. I've averaged about 52 mpg when I wasn't deliberately driving economically. As a former leadfoot Corvette owner, it took me a while to learn to get 70 mpg or even 99+ mpg, but I did accomplish this using techniques I read in the manual and online. With a car full of husky adults, patience is required for economical acceleration and hill-climbing. The typical American driver will push the pedal for more power, but the electric will kick in and save on gas. I recommend cruise control and some patience to get 50-60 mpg on that long hilly highway trip.

I enjoy the ride, especially when the engine is off and I'm rolling along silently on electric. Several times I've been cruising downhill at 70+ mph and neither electric or gas are running. Honestly, the styling makes a statement, and I enjoy showing people the technology.

A four-fold increase in the battery power would be my first choice upgrade, but at $13,500, I could buy another car! I would also like to see a light two-seat Plug-In Electric Hybrid Prius version, with a 4KW+ battery instead of 1.5KW, and a very small 1L twincam 4... would likely get 120-200+mpg