2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )
Smiles per miles
By ALH on 12/25/05 16:49 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love cars. I commute about 70 minutes to work, 80/20 highway/traffic. Regardless of what car I drove, my commute was getting to be a dull grind compounded by a growing guilt about the gas and pollution involved. Since getting my 2004 Prius 2 Years ago, all that changed. Now I enjoy my commute. Every trip is like a game. Every trip is an inspiration to my sense of innovation and thoughtful execution (I am a professional Mechanical Engineer and design industrial machinery). Sure my mileage does not match EPA, no cars do. The point is that, for me, this car is perfect: reliable, comfortable, roomy, safe, cost effective, fun, progressive, inspiring and, oh yes and easier on the environment.

I love my Prius
By cheers on 12/23/05 22:11 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my Prius for almost a year and can't say enough great things about it. My only problem is that my husband, a salesman who is on the road almost all day, has decided that he should be the one to drive the Prius. Amazing since he has always been the type of male who's identity is wrapped up in the kind of car he drives. Now he gets off on all the money he is saving. It is substantial since his last car got between 11 and 13 mpg. In the summer, we consistently get between 55-60 mpg, which drops down to 50-52 mpg in the winter. It is fun to drive and has plenty of pep. Best car we have ever owned.

Great
By Pagan on 11/26/05 20:45 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

In practice Car provides about 400 miles per galon (considering combined rural and highway streets). Even though is not a family car, it provide enough space for a family of five. Also the fact that back seats cand bend provides aditional space when you need it. Music sound system is also good quality.

Not one regret
By klid on 11/16/05 11:04 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Best decision I have made in awhile. It will take a few months to internalize the new driving methods for best fuel efficiency. Otherwise, this is like driving any other car.

The best car I ever owned
By Jim G on 11/10/05 00:11 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

It's fast, it's sturdy and it's a joy to drive. I've had zero, nada problems in the first forty thousand miles. It has handled the highest passes in Colorado and scoots in and out of traffic in Louisiana with ease. One small issue is the advertised gas mileage. The best I ever achieved was 52.5 but mostly average about forty- five. Still not too bad but no where near the sixty MPG promised. I'm 6'5", weigh 300 pounds and have no difficulty with it's roominess. Plenty of head room and seats four comfortably. My big Lincoln sits garage, where it shall remain until gas prices become reasonable again.

good at the pump
By Goldpreme on 10/08/05 11:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just got my Prius, and it's fun to drive and easy at the gas pump. Getting 51 miles a gal. on my drive to work, that's just great.

2004 Prius
By Gary on 09/15/05 09:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought a used 2004 and enjoy the drive. We average 48 MPG.

Saving Gas
By Paul on 09/04/05 16:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love everything about it, and only wish I had gotten the fully loaded package with GPS and BlueTooth. I drive about 90% highway (70-80 mph), 10% city. Initially, I was getting only about 43-45 mpg, but the past year has taught me to improve my driving habits in several ways -- most notably, not racing to take advantage of a passing slot. (My driving habits are still a bit overenthusiastic, but less so than before, especially after my insurance company decided that three speeding tickets in three years was a Bad Thing.) The interior is comfortable even for a big guy like me (6'2", 215 lb, long legs). Plenty of comfort and sufficient oomph even when transporting four ample adults.

A GREAT CAR
By Robert on 08/18/05 22:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The only frustrating part of owning the Prius is the MPG that one expects vs. the real world. When I bought the car in 9/2004, my average mileage was 45 City - 52 highway. Then the car stalled and I needed a new software update. Since then, it seems that the car runs more on Gas than electric. Average now 38-41 City, 42-45 HIGHWAY. WITH ALL THIS NEGATIVE SAID... the car is GREAT, and with the prices of GAS I am a HAPPY buyer. One must also consider that the Federal $2,000 deduction is still in effect, AND check with your local state. Here in Connecticut there was NO sales tax on the car, saving me another $1500. CONSIDER THESE SAVINGS ALSO. Overall I give the car a 9+!

Hot hybrid
By James Pruitt on 07/21/05 13:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

With adjustments to driving style, I'm routinely getting about 55 mpg. Interior more roomy than most sedans and with split back seat and hatchback, it can carry quite a load.