Used 2004 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 436 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )

Still in love three years later
By Bob

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I got my Prius, the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink version, in late October 2003. It now has 50K miles on it and has been absolutely flawless; the only time it's been in the shop is for routine service every 5K miles, and for the rare-but-proactive service bulletins that are inevitable with a car this technologically sophisticated. Again, I've never had so much as a hiccup in the three years of ownership, and Toyota clearly takes pride in its build quality. I drive a lot of urban freeways and surface streets with lots of stops, and have averaged 47mpg over the life of the car (with a semi-lead foot). There is no doubt in my mind the next car I get will be another Prius.

The smooth acceleration; "space pod" exterior; roomy interior - the fold-down rear seats have cleared enough cargo for chaise lounges, 8' long boards, and more that you'd swear couldn't possibly fit. The climate control and Smart Entry systems are outstanding features. Nav system and Bluetooth phone

I wish the 2004 had MP3 playback capability from CDs, but Toyota has added that (standard) to the '06 and later models. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of to make this a perfect vehicle.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By Reds

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned many cars in my lifetime from Chevrolet to Jaguar. The Toyota Prius is the best car I have ever owned. With over 55,000 miles it has performed flawlessly with absolutely no probloms. We recently drove it from the East Coast to Lyons Colorado. We averaged 53 mpg at 70 miles per hour with the A/C on. I recently purchased another new one for my wife. Both cars rate a 10 in all categories.

Great milage. Low Emmissions. Plenty of room and storage. Excellent quality. Excellent handling.

Add another motor to the rear axle to give front and rear wheel drive.

Energizer Bunny
By P Holloway

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased our Prius with 7,000 miles on it (original owner left country). It has performed exceptionally well except for the electronic issues that were repaired by removing and replacing the computer screen (Toyota covered it). Only other issue is Tires. The vehicle is heavier than most and you need to ensure that you purchase tires recommended by the owners guide to ensure that you do not risk the tire "rolling" onto the sidewall in a higher speed turn or situation where you must "dodge" an obstacle at higher speeds.

The ability to open and operate the car without "touching" a key device is a huge convenience factor along with the computer screen that relays fuel economy, etc. I love my indash map system (although it has a few quirks). We enjoy our Prius so much we now own a 2nd one (2005 model).

Leather seats would be a major improvement (much easier to clean). It would be nice to have the navigation system available for the passenger to operate while the car is in motion. You can't always pull off the road (traffic jams where you are crawling and need to find an alternate route).

One Terrific Car
By stan cohen

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Prius is really fun to drive even though it is not greatly overpowered. The power steering & brakes are are quite sensitive because they are electric. The car is easy to park & handle, holds the road well & the HID headlights are really appreciated. Although there are no power seats, I am sitting higher than other cars so as to make my lower back more comfortable. However, I have convinced no one to buy the car even with the great MPG I get.

Great MPG... average 54 MPG during 8 months of warm weather & about 48 MPG during frigid weather. You will only get this MPG if you drive the car as a test driver drives the car.

Toyota has improved the quality of the dashboard material. Diesel engine & Lithium battery pack would greatly increase the MPG. A truer reading gas gauge would be much better. I dislike the electronic trunk release. My battery went dead & could not easily get into the trunk. No rear camera.

Our 2004 Prius after 35K Miles
By pjongbloed

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Aside from the great fuel economy my wife and I really like our 2004 Salsa Red Prius. As we have learned to take advantage of the hybrid technology the average mileage has climbed from 45mpg to about 50 now with a lifetime average of about 48. It really does get 51mpg at 65mph on the freeway. The surround sound audio system is great. We got the 6-CD player system. My wife changed her cell phone to one with built in Blue Tooth technology so it could work with the Prius' built in system. Our family is tall. I'm 6'2. My wife is 6'. And our 4 boys range from 6'3 to 6'5. All can sit in the back seat and have plenty of knee room with the front seats in normal position.

In order; great mileage, great sound system, very quiet, surprisingly roomy interior, love the GPS map system, and great overall finish.

Add the electric only switch currently available only in Japan.