Used 2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )

duhyme
By duhyme

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Outstanding vehicle. Comfort of a larger class sedan, fuel ecomony better than a sub-compact. I've had this vehicle for over two years, have driven it all over the United Kingdom and Colorado. I am very happy with its performance. Average fuel economy is about 45-50 mpg, nowhere near the advertised 65 mpg, but still very respectable.

Favorite Features

Hybrid economy! Bluetooth connectivity. DVD navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

Make updates to DVD navigation system: 1) cheaper and 2) owner maintenance.

2004 Toyota Prius
By four door std hatchb

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Great ride, great mileage, great handling. Slightly cramped space for me in passenger seat. Poor visibility to the rear for driver. Plan to buy an 07 for myself and give the 04 to my fiance.

Favorite Features

Mileage, ride and appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Back up camera, more passenger leg room,flat fold rear seats in luggage compartment.

My Second Prius
By 4 Dr STD Hatchback

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My first Prius was the 2002 compact model. When I saw the larger 2004 model, I traded. I've driven it on long trips over mountains and averaged 51.7 mpg with a mixture of 70 mph Interstates and 45 to 55 mph 2-lane roads in the Mountains of KY, WV and VA. It has lots of room and is most comfortable and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Miles per gallon, especially when prices get past $2.50 per gallon. Also the excellent brakes. I had to teach my wife not to stomp a hole in the floor when I was approaching a stop light. She was used to having to brake much sooner than I have to with our Prius.

Suggested Improvements

Lights that help see around corners when turning, especially on dark, rainy nights.

You Won't Believe My Prius
By Gerard Chapin

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Do you live in New Jersey? Well I do. Do you know it's the most densely populated state? Well, I do. There are cars everywhere because we lack the mass transportation network needed and we want the freedom of the automobile offers us. Therefore there are frequent traffic jams. When I'm driving my 2004 Toyota Prius I get better mileage when the speeds are slower. So at least if I'm not saving time I'm at least saving money. The Prius has suprising pickup for highway merging since both the elctical system and the combustion system kick in. Air conditioning runs on the battery which in turn is charged by driving and braking. Mileage has been consistently at 50 mpg in the warm weather. Prius

Favorite Features

Air conditioning runs on the battery which in turn is charged by driving and braking. Of course, 50 MPG is great.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof, which evidently is not an option because of aerodynamic considerations.

Still in love three years later
By Bob

2004 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I got my Prius, the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink version, in late October 2003. It now has 50K miles on it and has been absolutely flawless; the only time it's been in the shop is for routine service every 5K miles, and for the rare-but-proactive service bulletins that are inevitable with a car this technologically sophisticated. Again, I've never had so much as a hiccup in the three years of ownership, and Toyota clearly takes pride in its build quality. I drive a lot of urban freeways and surface streets with lots of stops, and have averaged 47mpg over the life of the car (with a semi-lead foot). There is no doubt in my mind the next car I get will be another Prius.

Favorite Features

The smooth acceleration; "space pod" exterior; roomy interior - the fold-down rear seats have cleared enough cargo for chaise lounges, 8' long boards, and more that you'd swear couldn't possibly fit. The climate control and Smart Entry systems are outstanding features. Nav system and Bluetooth phone

Suggested Improvements

I wish the 2004 had MP3 playback capability from CDs, but Toyota has added that (standard) to the '06 and later models. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of to make this a perfect vehicle.